Comparing Types of Jobs Abroad

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Comparing Types of Jobs Abroad

Post by MrMan »

I've had different types of jobs abroad. I'll compare them.

1. The English institute job
I've had a couple of these. Back in the 1990's to early 2000's, I could make between $1600 and $1900 a month. That was more money back then. The $1600 job came with an apartment. I got a couple of months bonus with the $1900 a month job. That one was full-time.

This was pretty light work compared to later jobs. I did a lot of work, but I just hardly ever, if ever, stayed late. Work was not too stressful. The money was great when I was in Indonesia at the time compared to the local market.

This is pretty good for someone who is young.

2. The overseas international school
I worked for something like an international school with lots of local kids, too. This was a real school, so the hours could be long, especially since I was learning the ropes. Stress was moderately high at times. It didn't really pay better than the other jobs. Salary was lower, I did get a nice, free place to live with a pool and a poor excuse for a fitness center, though.

3. The local hire of an international company job
I was still teaching ESL, but worked for a big international corporation. This didn't pay much better than the English school jobs. Hours were long though, between 45 and 60 hours a week. There was a culture of sticking around after 5, though, so you felt like you had to, which wasn't good. Higher stress.

4. The high-salaried expat job
I like this one the best. This is where you make an above average salary, more than most people in your own country. They assign you a car and driver, a nice apartment with pool, fitness center, and other perks. Tickets home every year for the whole family. This was a blessing from God. Hours could be between 40, and at the worst, a one off 75 hours a week. But usually in the 50 hour a week range, but it can be 40 during the slow times. Interesting work.

I say the high-salary expat job is the best. The hours are longer than English school, but if you make two or three times as much, that's to be expected. When you have a growing family, you need the extra income. So my vote is for job 4.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Re: Comparing Types of Jobs Abroad

Post by Kradmelder »

It is a no brainer. the high salary expat job pays far above local wages, you get to live like a white man albeit you have to work hard like a white man. You get to save all that money and can live well abroad and keep a mistress, or buy a white woman back home.

You best solution is keep that money offshore where a white woman cant touch it if you go that route. She can live well with you, but if she runs off, there is nothing to grab. As they say, do not cast your pearls before the swine.