For those who work in ESL

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

For those who work in ESL

Post by chanta76 »

Do you actually teach? Or is it more about just making it fun in the class room?

I read stories where being an ESL teacher is more about just entertaining the students than actually teaching. If your white sometimes they just want you to be that poster boy as a white teacher.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Re: For those who work in ESL

Post by Jonny Law »

You are getting paid 2 or 3 times as much as native teacher!
You are expected to teach!
If you are in a rural area the expectations maybe a little lower but you still expected to do a lot!
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Johnny. You have tesol? certified teacher? If I remember in your other post you used to be in law enforcement. I read in other ESL forums it depends on the school. Usually if your white and young they hire you just because your white and young. They use that white person as a poster boy or girl to attract students. And typically they are just dancing white monkey for the asian students.

Now for the non-white teachers it's bit harder to get work but not impossible and from reading ESL forums you actually have to be able to teach.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

It depends very much on the school and the context. In China I actually taught real lessons, while an older guy did silly stuff. They preferred the older guy because we were supposed to be a kind of comic relief from their otherwise rigorous studies. However, these days you really need to get certification and be theoretically able to teach. The market is tight.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

chanta76 wrote:Johnny. You have tesol? certified teacher? If I remember in your other post you used to be in law enforcement. I read in other ESL forums it depends on the school. Usually if your white and young they hire you just because your white and young. They use that white person as a poster boy or girl to attract students. And typically they are just dancing white monkey for the asian students.

Now for the non-white teachers it's bit harder to get work but not impossible and from reading ESL forums you actually have to be able to teach.
CORNFED IS RIGHT!!!
Gotta call a spade a spade when it is true.
They do like older teachers here!

I left law enforcement. I am in Thailand teaching.

Unfortunately white and young people are the most useless people on the entire planet (even as a dancing white monkey). Schools will avoid them if possible because they have a deserved bad reputation. If you are around forty you are most wanted.

For "non-white teachers" THEY ARE FUCKINGG BITCHESS THEY BITCHH ABOUT EVERYTHING.
NEWSFLASH!!!
Non-whites get treated too good in the US of Gay. When non-whites leave the US and get treated equal they lose their FUCKINGG MINDS!!!
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

Schools prefer teachers >40? I thought the opportunities pretty much dried up after 30.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Guhji wrote:Schools prefer teachers >40? I thought the opportunities pretty much dried up after 30.
NO!!!

Meanwhile In reality
Opportunities for teachers under 30 - 100 opportunities
Opportunities for teachers 40 years old - 200 opportunities
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

Maybe that's the situation in Thailand. I'm certain that old age (over 35) works against you in Korea. Don't know about China or Vietnam.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Guhji wrote:Maybe that's the situation in Thailand. I'm certain that old age (over 35) works against you in Korea. Don't know about China or Vietnam.
NO!!!
Korea = CUNTSS
They are f***ing CUNTSS!!! no matter what your age is.

Jonny Law's Recommendation
If you Guhji are not a complete anal retentive piece of shit IT IS BEST FOR YOU TO LEAVE KOREA!!
In Korea the money is decent and that is all.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

I thought they prefer younger female white teacher. Maybe just in South Korea.

So the recommendation is. Get a college degree . Get TESOL or even actually teaching certificate if you can. Be an actually teacher.

From reading other ESL forums the impression is that they sometimes want a dancing monkey.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

What's the job market like in China and other places? I would quite like to quit the UK while the Brexit junk is going on. But I don't have much teaching experience and it's been harder to find an unpaid teaching experience gig in the UK than it has been to find an extremely well paid job in IT lol.

I guess I could go and do a Mandarin course again and get some unpaid teaching experience on the side.

Alternatively I might stay in the UK but the job market (for anything) is NOT looking terribly healthy right now.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Well I went ahead and did it. I've been teaching for almost a year now.

It was kind of a good career move. I work half as much as I did in the UK yet my retirement fund is growing at much the same rate as it was from a 40 hour week job in London.

Teaching is fun. I do try and get them to learn stuff. For example I am planning a paraphrasing lesson. However my salary is partly dependent upon feedback from students, so less homework and more games makes me popular. This kind of works against the students which is a shame.

Next year I believe I'll be teaching IT as well as English... U gotta move up the value chain.

Salaries in China can be VERY good. I just interviewed for a Thailand job but it was about GBP 400 a month less than I get here, less paid holidays and most important of all no free apartment and free utilities. Also I think I have the world's cheapest canteen meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) which is just 2RMB a go.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Is there any advantage in getting a graduate degree in ESL teaching vs just TESOL certificate?

Or is it just the same.
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

It depends on what type of ESL teaching you want to do. With a graduate degree getting a University job is a good possibility.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

The secret is engaging your class and make it interesting for THEM - games aren't the way, it is just a lazy teachers way of getting through 45 minutes to an hour - works with kids of course but if you are teaching adults then the best way is to design a class where they can express opinions and where there are no wrong answers.

For example - if you teach a class based on the question 'what is your favourite colour?' if one student says black and another says indigo (or whatever...) then neither of these are wrong answers - which a lot of students - especially in an Asian setting - are very afraid of - so you have to make the class where when the student speaks - there isn't a right or wrong answer - just their opinion and viewpoint.

In China, it takes awhile for students to get this but when they do - you don't shut them up because they have never been asked their opinion on ANYTHING in a classroom - like everyone else on a multitude of topics, they love having their say on a multitude of topics but you have to introduce this gently to them and once they realise there are no wrong answers - they'll jangle away as much as the Spanish or the Arabs.

Some people are better at engaging students than others though, some people are funnier or more interesting and the above is easy to engineer and get the students motivated enough to get them to speak. I know it's only a film but if you watch Robin Williams playing Adrian Crouaner and how he teaches and motivates his class of ESL students - all he has is a chalk board and his personality - and for the right person - that's all you need.

I teach a classes of mainly girls... a class which always gets them motivated is 'would you rather marry a rich ugly man or a poor handsome man' and you know what, whoever says the Chinese don't have a sense of humour or they can't make anyone laugh have never taught this class. Every female student of mine has a very complex opinion on this subject and whatever males I have in the class are asked 'would you rather be a...' and I ALWAYS get funny and interesting answers.