How Much Does It Cost to Live in the Philippines?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

How Much Does It Cost to Live in the Philippines?

Post by Adama »

Michael Fazio stated:
I actually should do a cost-of-living video but I would tell anybody reads this comment do not come to the Philippines and expect to live any kind of a normal lifestyle for less than 60,000 pesos a month or $1500 you can forget that
Is this true? I thought it was cheaper to live there.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Re: How Much Does It Cost to Live in the Phil?

Post by CannedHam »

Adama wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Michael Fazio stated:
I actually should do a cost-of-living video but I would tell anybody reads this comment do not come to the Philippines and expect to live any kind of a normal lifestyle for less than 60,000 pesos a month or $1500 you can forget that
Is this true? I thought it was cheaper to live there.
I've always heard $2k/month for a "very comfortable" life. Similar numbers in Thailand from my buddy who lives there.

Sure, locals may get by on $300/month, but you'd be surviving rather than living on those numbers.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

CannedHam wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 9:23 am
I've always heard $2k/month for a "very comfortable" life. Similar numbers in Thailand from my buddy who lives there.
Sure, locals may get by on $300/month, but you'd be surviving rather than living on those numbers.
I think so too.

There are many locals in Philippines and Thailand who can live with USD 200,- or USD 300,- per month.

However as a foreigner, if you really want a comfortable life, you need clearly more money.

You cannot live with USD 300,- monthly - you will end up in poverty.
Better go home to your Western country and live out of benefits and food coupons.

Western foreigners in Asia are facing expenses, which locals do not have and you will be noticed. A Western foreigner cannot live anonymously without facing some form of criminalty in a slum environment.

You have to consider to pay for your comfortable condominium-unit and not a wooden hut, you have to pay for visa and medical care, you like the idea to have running water and toilet and also air-con in your rooms - you do not always want to eat what locals are eating...sometimes you are going home, airfare to be considered as well...

I own my condominium unit in Thailand, very comfortable and safe living for us and with large swimmingpool in the compound.
No rent to pay, but for living there I need around THB 60.000,- per month for me and wife, and we do not have a car, which is rather expensive in Thailand, this means about USD 1.800,- per month.

Philippines might be cheaper than Thailand, however rampant criminality is a major concern. You should choose a home in a secured compound or guarded condominium building and this costs money.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Ignorant comment by Fazio as each individual's spending habits and lifestyles are different.

I knew of a westerner who rented out an apartment in the province at an absolutely ridiculously low price.

You can actually live in a Pension House for about a third of that figure or rent an apartment with cooking facilities and a swimming pool close to one of the best beaches in the Philippines for half of that.
www.villadelpueblo.com
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

Matt Forney did a pretty good analysis of his expenses in the Philippines. It may be in his blog and I know it is in the book he wrote on his visit. Not a bad place to start.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

There are some apartments in high rise buildings in South America that go for around $500 a month. I just wonder how safe they will be.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Zambales wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 12:55 pm
Ignorant comment by Fazio as each individual's spending habits and lifestyles are different.
I knew of a westerner who rented out an apartment in the province at an absolutely ridiculously low price.
You can actually live in a Pension House for about a third of that figure or rent an apartment with cooking facilities and a swimming pool close to one of the best beaches in the Philippines for half of that.
www.villadelpueblo.com
Yes, individual lifestyles are different, but....

Not really, the link you gave shows a minimum room rate of php 28.000,-
Monthly Rate: Do not include Breakfast, Electricity or Gas to to be metered and paid by Guest,
clearly mention in their homepage.

And what is with all the other expenses? Food, laundry, some medical care, daily other items etc.

As far as I understand the OP, php 60.000,- for a comfortable life-style includes everything you need and not only the room rate.

Next city is Tagbilaran, a small city, and you need a motorcyclye or otherwise transport to go there, otherwise it will become very boring in such a location... consider a little for entertainment too.

In case you live in this place you gave the link, you will not end up with so much cheaper than PHP 60.000,- totally...

PHP 60.000,- is about USD 1.200,-, not such a huge money if you want to live in a nice room and do not want to reconsider every single dollar you spend when going out. To spend about USD 40,- (php 2000,-) for everything per day is very reasonable.
Last edited by Yohan on June 7th, 2018, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Adama wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 2:06 pm
There are some apartments in high rise buildings in South America that go for around $500 a month. I just wonder how safe they will be.
I share your concern. Personal security is a major issue in many places in Latin America, but also in USA, Philippines and other countries like in South Africa.

High rise buildings in general have some security and it is not so easy for everybody to enter during nighttime. Another choice might be a house in a guarded compound. The point is as a foreigner in such places you cannot stay anonymously, bad people will notice and target you.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Yohan wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 7:33 pm
Zambales wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 12:55 pm
www.villadelpueblo.com
Yes, individual lifestyles are different, but....

Not really, the link you gave shows a minimum room rate of php 28.000,-
Monthly Rate: Do not include Breakfast, Electricity or Gas to to be metered and paid by Guest,
clearly mention in their homepage.

And what is with all the other expenses? Food, laundry, some medical care, daily other items etc.

As far as I understand the OP, php 60.000,- for a comfortable life-style includes everything you need and not only the room rate.

Next city is Tagbilaran, a small city, and you need a motorcyclye or otherwise transport to go there, otherwise it will become very boring in such a location... consider a little for entertainment too.

In case you live in this place you gave the link, you will not end up with so much cheaper than PHP 60.000,- totally...

PHP 60.000,- is about USD 1.200,-, not such a huge money if you want to live in a nice room and do not want to reconsider every single dollar you spend when going out. To spend about USD 40,- (php 2000,-) for everything per day is very reasonable.
You can get a kilo of laundry done for as low as P20 in the Philippines or you could hand wash your clothes yourself. Food doesn't cost much unless one dines out in restaurants on western cuisine regularly. Electricity & gas won't go over half of your budget (P30k) from the 28k rent. A jeepney to Tagbiliran will cost peanuts.

Entertainment is a 15 minute walk away at Alona Beach which is a the best known tourist beachy area in the Philippines aside from Boracay. I know because I've walked it :mrgreen: There's also a shuttle. It's located in a peaceful location away from the hustle and bustle too so you have the best of both worlds.

Even with medical insurance you'll have at least a third of that budget left to spend how you please. It might not be a lavish lifestyle but it's certainly a stress-free one in nice surroundings. Like I said, everyone's different so for some it won't be enough.