Wanted opinions on the IT field (Cruise Ship) and Software (Remote)

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
DarthXedonias
Freshman Poster

Wanted opinions on the IT field (Cruise Ship) and Software (Remote)

Post by DarthXedonias »

Ok, so I'm still going to go teach English in Korea some time soon (Only have a few classes left in my degree and one more thing to submit for my TEFL cert).

I have found 2 potential pathways that might even be better for living abroad though that I wanted some feed back on. The first is that I might get software Engineering (C++, Java) degree online (It will be paid for so no real out of pocket expense). With that I could work for Teamspeak 3 and get a German wage while working remotely. This would be about 30-34K USD per year. Only thing is they want you to be able to speak both English and German to talk with co-workers. Not sure if it might be worth it based on Germany isn't exactly going to be the same as we know it 10 years from now due to the whole migrant crisis stuff going on.

The other option I have seen that is very promising is that I go back into the IT field. I would essentially get a degree in Cloud and system admin (once again paid for) and go work for a Cruise ship. Cruise ships currently pay about 6.2k for an IT manager position and 5k for a regular IT position. You work for 4 months on the cruise ship (Room and board free) and then get 3 months off. I'm thinking I could probably work for 4 months on the Cruise ship then for the 3 months off I could be living in the Philippines. I'm thinking I could buy a Condo there, I think I might look at Cebu or Manila. I could do that for 5 or so years and with my investments probably retire after that early. Seems like a solid plan so far and the pay is good. On top of that I am getting some additional travel done.

My original plan had been to eventually get a Masters in ESL so I could teach at the university level in places like Korea for higher pay and few hours. Though the cruise ship plan is looking a lot more promising as far as pay and actually being in the Philippines on my time off instead of Korea. What do you guys think?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Wanted opinions on the IT field (Cruise Ship) and Software (Remote)

Post by zboy1 »

Go the IT route rather than in the ESL field. More money, plus better long-term career opportunities.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Do you have some kind of advantage that we don't know about?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

zboy1 wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 5:15 pm
Go the IT route rather than in the ESL field. More money, plus better long-term career opportunities.
I don't know personally but I've been following this, and it seems that IT is going to shit as well.
DarthXedonias
Freshman Poster

Post by DarthXedonias »

zboy1 wrote:
I a highly considering it. I might work in the ESL field for maybe a year then switch over to the IT field by working on a cruise ship. That way I can live in the Philippines 3 months at a time when I'm not working. That is preferable to me than working in Korea for a few years then finally being able to move to the Philippines permanently down the road.
Cornfed wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 6:08 pm
Do you have some kind of advantage that we don't know about?
Easy, its called being former military so I still have education benefits I can use. On top of that the way the online university I go to works, they charge you based on the amount of time than on units you take. For example, they charge a flat rate of about 3200 USD for 6 months then during that 6 month period you can go as fast or slow as you want during that period. They are non for profit and accredited. At the time right now I am working on a different degree with them (Transferred some credits in) and should graduate within a couple of weeks from now. I'm just thinking about getting an IT degree and then maybe a masters in IT management to get a job one a cruise ship which I feel like I can finish the courses within months at a time. Also, the IT certifications are included in the cost of the degree.
Cornfed wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 6:18 pm
zboy1 wrote:
I don't know personally but I've been following this, and it seems that IT is going to shit as well.
Depends on the field, and location I think. Some IT fields are not as good as they used to be for employment while other new ones are on fire right now. From what I know IT work having to do with managing a cloud network is on fire right now and it pays pretty well. Silicon Valley companies are still doing reasonable well but due to them going all SJW and non free speech I do believe in the long term they are going to go down the tubes.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

IT is still a good career but it won't last forever - it's a young man's game. Thankfully I stashed my IT earnings away and can now take it easy.

Ignore all the SJW crap keep your head down and ignore all the idiots. I can't even remember what I worked on 3 years ago. But the money I earnt is now earning valuable compound interest.

Get good at investing. Math tells me that I can now make more money from investing wisely than I can from working :D.

TEFL is fun. Yesterday I got a gig as a TV extra. It's impossibly competitive to get into TV in the West, but in Asia it's a pretty low status thing, everyone wants to be IT workers or accountants.

TEFl is not really a career though so make sure you have a "real" career going first.

Actually this year I am teaching IT which is really enjoyable.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.