Proofreader (native English) needed by an agency I know.

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

One company asked me if I know of a friend who can proofread translated English texts.

Basically: a translation agency in one of Russia's ethnic republics ( Bashkorostan-- which is next to Tatarstan) is helping in creating an encyclopedia about their administrative unit. It's a big project with some 1000 pages. They are translating it into English, but they want to make it impeccable.

They are apparently looking for someone who is:

1) a native speaker with flawless written English,
2) has experience with proofreading,
3) has a PayPal account.
4) can commit to a large project like this.

They pay 2c per word. So, say, if the page has 500 words, that is $10 per page. This is just proofreading, not writing.

Send your qualifications to lala@akyort.com and explain why you think you can do the job.

They really need someone committed who can take on the project, today, not tomorrow.

I've worked with them before and they are good. At this time, I can't take on the commitment because I am not stable in my life at the moment.

Disclaimer: all agreements between you and that agency are confidential and, well, are between you an them. I am not responsible for any disputes or disagreements re: payments, work loads, etc. I was just asked by them if I have a friend who can do the job. I've known them for seven years and never had any problems, but I am still only a referring point, nothing else. I am not recruiting anyone and have no interest in this project. But they are actively looking for someone now and asked me to find a friend/colleague.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Proofreader ( native English) needed by an agency I know.

Post by Cornfed »

Has anyone enquired about this yet? Maybe I'll give it try. What sort of qualifications would they require?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Cornfed wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 10:51 am
Has anyone enquired about this yet? Maybe I'll give it try. What sort of qualifications would they require?
Yeah, I got in touch. Their deadlines are Dec. 25 and Jan. 15, so they might have work for more than one. I sent a transcript, told them I'd worked as a magazine editor.
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

ladislav wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 11:20 pm
Proofreader ( native English) needed by an agency I know.

One company asked me if I know of a friend who can proofread translated English texts.

Basically: a translation agency in one of Russia's ethnic republics ( Bashkorostan-- which is next to Tatarstan) is helping in creating an encyclopedia about their administrative unit. It's a big project with some 1000 pages. They are translating it into English, but they want to make it impeccable.

They are apparently looking for someone who is:

1) a native speaker with flawless written English,
2) has experience with proofreading,
3) has a PayPal account.
4) can commit to a large project like this.

They pay 2c per word. So, say, if the page has 500 words, that is $10 per page. This is just proofreading, not writing.

Send your qualifications to lala@akyort.com and explain why you think you can do the job.

They really need someone committed who can take on the project, today, not tomorrow.

I've worked with them before and they are good. At this time, I can't take on the commitment because I am not stable in my life at the moment.

Disclaimer: all agreements between you and that agency are confidential and, well, are between you an them. I am not responsible for any disputes or disagreements re: payments, work loads, etc. I was just asked by them if I have a friend who can do the job. I've known them for seven years and never had any problems, but I am still only a referring point, nothing else. I am not recruiting anyone and have no interest in this project. But they are actively looking for someone now and asked me to find a friend/colleague.
Hey Ladislav, could you please send stuff like this my way next time? I'd really appreciate it.