The forum doesn't get many replies but let's try :)

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
sanpedro72
Freshman Poster

The forum doesn't get many replies but let's try :)

Post by sanpedro72 »

Hey I'm an expat who appreciates where WW comes from in his HA thinking. That some of us just didn't belong back home for whatever reason. I didn't like working for "the man" back in the USA and wanted so see some culture that I had been deprived of.

So I became an ESL teacher although I am copywriter, web content manager, service manager, online marketing manager and so on...

So I am wondering where a good place to work is for an expat... I've done Korea, Latvia and Turkey. I'm wondered where I can work...real estate, esl, recruiter, websites...any ideas...places contacts?

Thanks and regards,

Jacob
Jacob N. Lunders
Watch "Zeitgeist", "Zeitgeist Addendum" and "America: Freedom To Fashion". Truly revolutionary!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

You could try Slovakia. From what I hear it's generally more rural than the Czech Republic and the people are friendlier. Slovakia will get the Euro in January, so prices might go up slightly, but the economy seems to be improving there. You could also try Slovenia which is the most developed of the countries which were part of the former Yugoslavia.

Of course, China and the Ukraine need tons more native speaker English teachers also.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of Lativia?

I wouldn't recommend Hungary, where I am, for most people. You have to have to have a certain kind of personality to fit in here, and you have to be committed to learning the language or you will not succeed. Outside of Budapest, it is very difficult to meet people if you don't speak good Hungarian, and there is a lot of competition for teaching jobs in Budapest. I would recommend visiting a number of former Eastern Bloc countries and seeing where you feel the most comfortable. Personally, I like the people here a lot more than I did in the Czech Republic, but other people might feel the opposite way, depending on their personalities.

Salaries for ESL teachers in Romania are extremely low. Poland might be another good option, however.

Good luck,

Jackal
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

SanPedro, we need more info about your work experience and skills before we can make any recommendations. Do you have an online resume anywhere?

Where do you want to work exactly? What area are you drawn to?

If you are just looking for job listings, you can google "overseas jobs" or "jobs abroad" and see what's advertised.

However, most jobs are recruited from within, and are not advertised to the public. What you have to do is network. Meet lots of people, make lots of friends, ask them about work opportunities, and get leads. Eventually you will get some leads. That's how it works. You just have to search and ask, search and ask, etc.

Unfortunately though, there is this axiom I've learned that the easiest and most available jobs to get are often the ones that suck, or put you in bad conditions that nobody wants. While the best ones, that are easy and fun and pay well, are the hardest to get.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne