Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Introducing Myself - TheLogicJunkie

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.

Postby ladislav » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:58 pm

When we talk about the Anglo culture in the US, or the Germanic culture, I do not think we talk about English vs German, vs whoever. What he basically means is that if you come off as Hispanic-looking or Italian in his part of the country, it is not well received in the upper circles, but if you come off more northern like, then it is OK. In other words, you should be of the ancestry of the earlier Northwest European settlers ( commonly known as WASPs) if you want to be accepted. So, a German American in today's America is a WASP, too. Someone with a name like Gonzalez or Peppelini is not.

As I have mentioned, if your last name is the problem, what one can do is change it to a French sounding one- the French are the only Latin Europeans that are accepted in the WASP "congellation" he was speaking about.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby naiss2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:09 pm

I assume not all employers are biased towards WASPs or are Hispanic themselves. Or is the WASP way of thinking too deep ingrained in the general public that even non-WASPs discriminate against other non-WASPs. Wouldn't it be difficult to work for someone that would actually dislike you if they found out your "real" self? Again, I have trouble grasping the categories you divide people into because I thought being a Hispanic is mainly based on language. Even the categories in the US Census 2010 are absurd.
naiss2
Freshman Poster

Postby FreeYourMind » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 pm

ladislav wrote:When we talk about the Anglo culture in the US, or the Germanic culture, I do not think we talk about English vs German, vs whoever. What he basically means is that if you come off as Hispanic-looking or Italian in his part of the country, it is not well received in the upper circles, but if you come off more northern like, then it is OK. In other words, you should be of the ancestry of the earlier Northwest European settlers ( commonly known as WASPs) if you want to be accepted. So, a German American in today's America is a WASP, too. Someone with a name like Gonzalez or Peppelini is not.

As I have mentioned, if your last name is the problem, what one can do is change it to a French sounding one- the French are the only Latin Europeans that are accepted in the WASP "congellation" he was speaking about.

Italians have been in the U.S. for several generations and are completely assimilated, including being part of the upper class in areas where there are many of them, especially the Northeast. Italians interbred with other White groups and most are now part-other European ethnicities. Hispanics is a more valid argument, but in places like California, many Spanish settled there and have also been absorbed into the "melting pot." There are plenty of Americans with names like Garcia and Rodriguez who are doing very well for themselves. Dark-skinned Mexicans have more of a problem, but at the rate they are moving into the Southwest, they will be running things within a generation, for better or worse.
FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Postby ladislav » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:13 pm

I guess,then the OP must be in some really special part of the country.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby FreeYourMind » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 am

The Logic Junkie looks like a regular white guy to me. I find it hard to believe he experiences racism solely because of his last name. I'd be interested in concrete examples of it. It might be that he experiences job discrimination because white men in general are at the bottom of the affirmative action totem pole.
FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself