Caribbean girl in Turkey

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Caribbean girl in Turkey

Post by Renata »

Hi All,

I came across this site, was searching for an international forum of expats or people who prefer living outside their own countries, like me :)

I teach English as a foreign language & I move around a lot..

nice to meet u all :)
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

Welcome to the forum Renata. That's awesome that you're living in Turkey. What city are you living in? I'll be in Istanbul in Oct. for 8 days.

I'm definitely one of those type of people who wants to escape their own country. The US is definitely not for me. How long have you been teaching English in Turkey? Are you enjoying it? What island are you from in the Caribbean?

OTB
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

I'm in antalya it's a bit far from istanbul but lovely, & the weather is warm ... i've been here since february.... i grew up in Trinidad west indies

nice to meet u OTB :)
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

Nice to meet you Renata. Antalya is a very nice coastal city I hear. If I had more time there I would definitely head on down there. So what made you want to teach English in Turkey?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

i lived here before in izmir & i've returned for a second bite lol ... it's just a nice place to be, just like the caribbean life is esay-going, ppl r warm, stuff is affordable & Cost of living is low. Downside is business ethics r a bit poor & can be shady, one has to be careful.

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Renata wrote:i lived here before in izmir & i've returned for a second bite lol ... it's just a nice place to be, just like the caribbean life is esay-going, ppl r warm, stuff is affordable & Cost of living is low. Downside is business ethics r a bit poor & can be shady, one has to be careful.
Back in the day when I was in the U.S. Air Force, I tried to be stationed in Turkey, unsuccessfully, and I ended up in the U.K. instead. The U.S. Air Force have two huge air bases in Turkey: one in Incirlik and one in Izmir. I heard a lot of good things about the country from other soldiers stationed over there like the food, the weather, and the women. Prostitution is also legal over there and I also really like Doner Kebabs, LOL, so it would've been a perfect place for me...
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Merhaba Renata, I will go to Turkey in about 1 month :). I first will go to Ankara as we have little family property which has to be managed. But then I plan to go to Antalya and then try to find a nice location in the area between Alanya, Antalya and Izmir :)

Last time I was in Turkey and Antalya was some 13 years ago. How do you like the Konyaalti city beach? I read that they have created a beach park at Konyaalti beach. Were you also at the Lara beach?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

zboy1 i luv the food too, healthy & delicious, right now it's warm but it can be very cold as well & yes the women are very beautiful here they come in all shades & skin tones. I think they have a very European exotic arabesque type look ... everyone thinks I'm Persian or Brazilian, since I've gotten quite brown in the sun being here. I also lived here in the past in 2009 in izmir. I was there for a few weeks as well but didn't get to chat up any of the soldiers lol... About the prostitution I think it's always been legal & i think they pay taxes too LOL they have to be registered in a specific location and abide by a few laws or something, there r houses for it, very discreet stuff. They are still warm and friendly but will raid your pockets if they see you're a tourist. That kind of thing happens to tourists everywhere, getting overcharged & stuff lol ... Although lovely place to be. :)
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Billy it's a shame but I haven't been to the beaches yet but I will definitely go with some friends from izmir, they will come over soon as I don't know anyone here in antalya. I've been to a big mall called migros, the shopping is great here so much variety. They're not limited to one trend like what's in fashion now, you can basically get everything you look for. :)

btw where are all of you originally from & where are you guys now?
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Renata I am from Turkey but lived my whole life in germany. Now I am 38 and it´s time for a mini-retirement :)

Back in 1999 I have cousins who were taxi driver in Antalya. But they are back in Ankara now because they were pushed out of business.

Now I don´t have any connections to Antalya and to the coastal regions.

Are you into dance? Maybe I will check this dance school in Antalya :
http://www.latintr.com/index1.htm

While googling for salsa dance I read that turkish hold a guinnes world record in bachata dance. about 140 couples danced synchronically bachata :)
http://www.danskurslari.org/haberler-du ... dilar.html

Wow you have 29 degrees :)

Was Antalya really cold this winter? Normally it should be around 15 degrees.

Do you learn turkish?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Thx Billy i'll check out the dance scene here ... yes I know lots of turks move in and out of germany. There was one girl I met in my country she was german-turk, loved partying & had a ball on my island with the locals & ended up missing her flight & trying to find work as a civil engineer but couldn't. The market was small & saturated for that so she eventually returned back to germany.
The sun is scorching hot here when u go outside but inside the house is a nice temperature, warm & cool :)
I wasn't here for the winter I came end of February, it was a bit chilli but not too bad, as I enjoy cold weather as well.
I know about 30 odd words or so in turkish just to get by lol
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Which country are you from? Shure you will know Thalia. I love her :) The above girl Gülben Ergen is the cheaper turkish version of Thalia but still very enjoyable:). I wanted to send you the song "seguir" from thalia but it´s not available from youtube germany. I thought it would fit your life situation of being on the road :)

here are the lyrics of Gülben:
gülben süpriz

ne para da, ne pulda
aklim hep sende
yanimda ol yeter ,gözüm yok yükseklerde
bikerecik vapura binip bi çay içsek
martilara simit atip biraz dertlessek

bir kiprit çaksana ,çak çak çaksana
yildizlar kayarken ,bize bir dilek tutsana
bir güzellik yapsana,ya ya yapsana
elaleme inat kalkip elimden tutsana

sürpriz adimizi göklere yazdirdim
askida arasina kondurdum
üstüne yildiz çaktirdim
sürpriz sürpriz sürpriz askim

adimizi göklere yazdirdim
askida arasina kondurdum
üstüne yildiz çaktirdim
sürpriz askim

ne para da, ne pulda
aklim hep sende
yanimda ol yeter ,gözüm yok yükseklerde
bikerecik vapura binip bi çay içsek
martilara simit atip biraz dertlessek

bir kiprit çaksana ,çak çak çaksana
yildizlar kayarken ,bize bir dilek tutsana
bir güzellik yapsana,ya ya yapsana
elaleme inat kalkip elimden tutsana

sürpriz adimizi göklere yazdirdim
askida arasina kondurdum
üstüne yildiz çaktirdim

askida arasina kondurdum
üstüne yildiz çaktirdim
sürpriz askim

askida arasina kondurdum
üstüne yildiz çaktirdim
sürpriz askim
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

aw thx, I don't know her actually but it's a nice one :)
i'm from Trinidad & Tobago

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Wow T a T sounds like dream :). I think you speak english there. Maybe that´s why you don´t know Thalia. She is quite a name in the Latin world.

Is T&T paradise?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

ya we speak english there, it's quite a little paradise but it has it's pros & cons as most countries do
it's one of the most cosmopolitan islands in the caribbean, u find Chinese, Portuguese, Indians, Africans, Lebanese, Syrians, Arabs, Brits, Americans, Irish, Scots, Pakistanis, Turks, Germans, Spanish, etc etc ... basically everyone that's there are immigrants from somewhere else... only native indians are the original people of that island... my ancestors came there in 1845 & never turned back, i'm mixed race.