Hello

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
tkim
Freshman Poster

Hello

Post by tkim »

Greetings,

I think that I am finally ready to leave the US this year. Hoping to leave for several years, but to cut a long story short, finally ready to take a leap.

I am in my 40's now and just going through life. I was married, but divorced (wife left me). We are still on friendly terms, but we are not compatible with each other.

I spent my early years in Asia, but received all my formal educaiton in the US, so I am a native English speaker. I have had a 15+ year career in IT and pretty bored with my work now. I need a change and break from my work. What I am doing now is meant to be done by kids in their 20's and early 30s I think who are very passionate about computers and technology. I once was that type of person, but just tired of it. Tired of working in the corporate world in New York City area. I have thought about grad school to try to teach IT in schools, but I have also been looking at teaching English. I would like to pursue some type of teaching, but not really sure yet.

I realize that I need to work when I do move overseas, and I would like to still start in IT to make some money and get on my feet overseas. But I am looking to teaching English overseas, maybe in Thailand, or Korea.

later all,
John
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

You sound better positioned than many to make the move. IT, Asian background, not too old or too young.

Welcome to HA.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Hi, I'm an ESL teacher... it's an ok career move but I think it's not what I want to do forever.

there are lots of opportunities for you worldwide & online in teaching english though :) lots of jobs posted online too.

good luck & don't over-think it or over-plan it, just go for it, ...Welcome tkim 8)
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:Hi, I'm an ESL teacher...
Renata I miss your avatar!
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Hello tkim, glad you found our forum. I also am looking into teaching english overseas. It would be a nice change of pace from the stressful jobs I have had in America.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Welcome! China is a good place to teach English. You can make money online with IT skills, especially if you've got some good niche skills that Indians or Filipinos don't have.

I'm currently looking at going to a Chinese Uni to learn Chinese and stuff (this will cost you very little and is worth a look). Of course you'd have to handle the general insanity of living somewhere like China :shock: .
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
dinnahoag
Freshman Poster

Post by dinnahoag »

Hellooo guys.............

I'm newbie in this forum.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

dinnahoag wrote:Hellooo guys.............

I'm newbie in this forum.
Hi Dinna, think u got lost in the shuffle here. Tell a little about yourself and what you are interested in here!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”