Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Hi, new here.

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.

Hi, new here.

Postby onethousandknives » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 am

I made a few posts but I figured I'd introduce myself. I live in the states and am interested in going abroad for a variety of reasons. I spent a lot of time reading this site, I think I first encountered it maybe in like 2004 or (at like 14 years old?) I'm 22 now. I've also been diagnosed Aspergers/NVLD, the NVLD diagnosis I take seriously, as it's a concrete diagnosis that can probably be attributed to right hemispherical damage. Aspergers on the other hand, I believe is sorta overdiagnosed in response to Western society being what it is today.

I'm a fan of some international things. I like Japanese and Russian music quite a bit, Russian is relatively recent, though. Also like Italodisco/Eurodisco and 90s Eurodance. I also like cars, specifically 1980s Japanese cars. I used to be a big fan of anime, but don't like most of the newer anime coming out (I'm assuming it's the same reason I don't watch TV anymore.) I still love older anime, especially from the 80s. If I had to pick a favorite TV show, it'd probably be the Japanese live action "Great Teacher Onizuka" from the 90s, or the Taiwanese drama "Mars."

My other two biggest hobbies are figure skating and Olympic style weightlifting. I also love cooking, too. I try to make sure 90% of what I eat is cooked from scratch.

I currently live in New England in the States and would like to relocate...somewhere else. Where that'll be, that's part of the reason I'm on this board, to figure out. Currently Saipan looks like a good trial run type of thing, as after a plane ticket, it's supposedly like $200 a month for an apartment there, and no passport/visa/etc. I'd like Japan, but I realize it pretty much has potential to be either "This is so awesome!" or "I totally hate it here and wanna leave right now." But stemming from childhood, it's been a fantasy of sorts to go and at least check it out.

Anyway, I guess I've introduced myself enough.
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Re: Hi, new here.

Postby Jester » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 am

onethousandknives wrote:
I'm a fan of some international things. I like Japanese and Russian music quite a bit, Russian is relatively recent, though. Also like Italodisco/Eurodisco and 90s Eurodance.

I only dicovered last 10 ears that different pop music exists outside U.S. - specifically I noticed what I would call "lounge music" or "club music" in British gangster movies. Amazing how we are rationed here, how our information and entertainment is sifted.

onethousandknives wrote:Currently Saipan looks like a good trial run type of thing, as after a plane ticket, it's supposedly like $200 a month for an apartment there, and no passport/visa/etc. I'd like Japan, but I realize it pretty much has potential to be either "This is so awesome!" or "I totally hate it here and wanna leave right now." But stemming from childhood, it's been a fantasy of sorts to go and at least check it out.

Brilliant choice. "Asia Lite", easy living.

A childhood fantasy? Hmmm. Unusual, but okay...
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby xiongmao » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:33 am

Welcome!

I'm a huge fan of the Japanese electropop group Ragdoll. It took me ages, but I've now downloaded all their albums*.

http://www.jpopasia.com/group/ragdoll/

Plus I've seen them play live and the lead singer is very hot!!!

Japan is awesome and worth a visit. You can get cheap accommodation there if you stay with a family and teach them English. But the problem is that your cash won't go far as anything apart from food is very expensive - I wanted to buy a KPop CD and it was like $35!

If you have yellow fever then China is a better place as it's home to the most beautiful women on the planet. It's a cheap place to live but visas are hard to acquire now. The Philippines is more welcoming but not so safe.

*I'd buy them but it's really hard to find Japanese music.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby onethousandknives » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Deleted, accidental double post due to posting from a cellphone.
Last edited by onethousandknives on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Postby onethousandknives » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:10 pm

My plan for Japan was a bit out of the ordinary. It's my understanding the cities are expensive as all hell. However, I've heard out in the country it's quite cheap. Out in the country supposedly some prefectures will pay for your land or whatever if you agree to stay for a certain number of years. The reason is some country towns are literally dying off, as the young people are moving to cities.

As far as business ideas go, I've a few in mind. One would be just open a pizza place. I'm a pretty good cook, and I'm assuming my competition would be less in Japan. The other going with the country is simply farming. Plant some fruit, Chinese herbs, have a few chickens and some milking cows. The country places especially want farmers, there's enough land, but no people to farm it and it's bad enough Japan imports its rice from China now. The last one is import/export. USA unfortunately doesn't allow the import of cars under 25 years old. But you can import parts and frames of cars. If I got to know a Japanese junkyard owner, could make some money. Also bringing over classic Japanese cars here, too. Nissan Skyline R31s and R30s I don't think go for lots of money in "user grade" condition in Japan. The last business idea I have for cars is basically trading cars between US and Japan. There are small amounts of fans of American cars like Mustangs and whatnot in Japan, just as there's small amounts of fans of things like Nissan Skylines and kei cars here. Basically the idea would be a broker for the Japanese wanting to find an American car, and vice versa. The Skyline or Silvia that you could literally see abandoned in Japan would be worth something to someone here, and the old Firebird going to the junkyard could be worth something to someone in Japan as the supply/demand is different.

Lastly, regarding the price of stuff. It seems as long as I cook my own food there, it won't be too crazy for that. One thing I've heard about Japan is the Japanese stigmatize used things, and you can use this to your advantage. I hear in some places people throw out amazing stuff. But with used things, it'd probably mean some hobby things I like there would be cheap. I know for airsoft this is the case there. As far as music, I listen to a lot of J-music from the 90s and 80s, which I'll be able to buy used at used record shops, yahoo auctions, thrift stores. I have a LOT of Japanese music already, some even bought here on Amazon for cheap (because it's used.)
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Postby abcdavid01 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi! You certainly seem like you lead an interesting life. Who doesn't have aspergers/NVLD on these forums, lol? That makes at least three and I'm sure there are more. Bunch of awkward geniuses who can't fit in in America. Describes a whole lot of members here.
中国人万岁! 中国美女万岁!
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm

I've been to Japan 4 times.

Japanese towns are very dull, and it's rare to see anyone younger than 70.

Sure, Japan's population is shrinking, but they're not open to immigration otherwise the place would be swamped with Japanese/Pinays.

Japanese farmers have huge political power, and would be tricky to deal with.

Pizza is already very popular in Japan. There are plenty of niches for foreigners though. A couple of Turkish guys opened a kebab place in Akihabara. I went there 2 years later and they had twice as many restaurants.

You can live fairly frugally in Japan but what kind of a life would it be? When it costs $50 - $100 to have a good night out it's not such a great place.

Foreigners can make money in Japan, although without knowing the language you're not gonna get very far. And Japanese is confoundingly difficult. At least with Mandarin the grammar takes 2-3 hours to learn, it's that simple.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Return to Introduce Yourself