Hello expat from Poland born in Italy and living in Spain

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
martincaro
Freshman Poster

Hello expat from Poland born in Italy and living in Spain

Post by martincaro »

Enough? :D
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Welcome. Can you tell us about your background and how you got so many countries in your background?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
martincaro
Freshman Poster

Post by martincaro »

I've been living abroad since 26. For work mainly. I didn't mention Sweden where I also lived :-)
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Would you mind talking about life in Italy & Spain? I'm thinking of living in one of those (and there's a few others, too).

I really can't stand how there's such a trend of someone trying to live someone else's life here. It's always someone making someone else's decisions or imposing their own and that can mean varying things, depending on the mechanics (which seems to be more or less ignored in this country). A big part of why I'm looking to move is being concerned about starting a family & things seems to be increasingly unsafe for women & children (this is particularly true with cops & doctors). Properties don't change by designation, but it seems the people here are of a mind that a situation is NOT what it consists of.

I'm also tired of having a culture that hits the gas & the brakes at the same time (this is particularly irritating with women). It's also like nobody can reform the esteem they hold something in here- once they've come to some kind of conclusion, that's it & that's all. If you mention that anything's wrong in this country, the immediate response is to argue, compare to other countries, or simply shut down the conversation. That whole trend of disqualifying a problem instead of dissolving it is not good for any kind of problem-solving. That's a big part of why things get worse & worse around here.

Any related information (particulary regarding where to go & how to live there) would be greatly appreciated.
martincaro
Freshman Poster

Post by martincaro »

Wolfeye wrote:Would you mind talking about life in Italy & Spain? I'm thinking of living in one of those (and there's a few others, too).

I really can't stand how there's such a trend of someone trying to live someone else's life here. It's always someone making someone else's decisions or imposing their own and that can mean varying things, depending on the mechanics (which seems to be more or less ignored in this country). A big part of why I'm looking to move is being concerned about starting a family & things seems to be increasingly unsafe for women & children (this is particularly true with cops & doctors). Properties don't change by designation, but it seems the people here are of a mind that a situation is NOT what it consists of.

I'm also tired of having a culture that hits the gas & the brakes at the same time (this is particularly irritating with women). It's also like nobody can reform the esteem they hold something in here- once they've come to some kind of conclusion, that's it & that's all. If you mention that anything's wrong in this country, the immediate response is to argue, compare to other countries, or simply shut down the conversation. That whole trend of disqualifying a problem instead of dissolving it is not good for any kind of problem-solving. That's a big part of why things get worse & worse around here.

Any related information (particulary regarding where to go & how to live there) would be greatly appreciated.

I see what you mean. It depends on personal experiences and on so many factors. Person A talks good about a place, person B replies with his/her awful experience (and sometimes not even direct experience).
Also living in place is totally different from visiting it as a tourist. I changed opinion a LOT in recent years.

A lot of good things and bad things can be told of any place both being true.
It all goes down to how a person is. You know one man meat is another man poison :-)

Being said that I need more information (and main point is work. What do you do, are you planning to move with job, where would you like to go, do you speak the language, etc)
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Well, as far as work goes- ultimately I'd like to teach self-sufficiency. Not just basic survival stuff, but more advanced/long term situations, basic blacksmithing, herbal stuff, disaster preparedness, home defense, etc... . Dave Canterbury is a good example of what I'm talking about. I figure before that I might do some translating for tourism & such (but would have a bunch of options speaking English, supposedly). Before that, probably manual labor (ladscaping, maybe working on a fishing boat or something).

Don't speak the languages yet, but it is something I have a bit of a knack for.

I don't really know where I'd be looking to go in any of these countries, but I don't think I'd want to be too close to the more urban places. Maybe Andalusia for Spain? Somewhere somewhat southerly in Portugal & somewhere somewhat northerly in Italy?