Greetings! I'm a Cuban-American living in the U.S.

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Sarita
Freshman Poster

Greetings! I'm a Cuban-American living in the U.S.

Post by Sarita »

I've been reading the Happier Abroad website with great interest, and was glad to read that I'm not the only one who feels this way living here. I hope to be able to discuss more about this topic. Thank you very much!
“When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone.â€￾ - Tennessee Williams
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Welcome Sarita!

I am sure that guys here will want to ask you how old you are, where you have lived abroad, and if you ever plan to see Cuba.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Sarita
Freshman Poster

Hi again

Post by Sarita »

I'm an old lady of 55. I'm here because I'm a former ex-pat, and planning to be an ex-pat again within the next year, and hoping for some ideas from ex-pats, but mostly because I almost fell off my chair when I read the articles of the e-book, Happier Abroad. Never had I read anything that expressed the truth about the U.S. so well.

In any case, I was forced to return from Spain because my mom was ill, and I ended up staying for 2 decades. My mom and dad passed away, and now I'm just feeling out of sorts with the U.S. again (as before).

On Cuba - I haven't been to Cuba since my family and I left when I was a kid, but my parents did return to Cuba, my brother has been there, and I have friends that go frequently. I don't know if you're familiar with travel to Cuba, but Cubans traveling to the island must have a Cuban passport. This is a fact whether or not one has citizenship in a new country. For ex., I'm a citizen of the U.S., of Israel, and of Spain (through my grandparents), but to travel to the U.S., I must enter with a Cuban-issued passport.

Bizarre, isn't it?

Jester wrote:Welcome Sarita!

I am sure that guys here will want to ask you how old you are, where you have lived abroad, and if you ever plan to see Cuba.
“When so many are lonely as seem to be lonely, it would be inexcusably selfish to be lonely alone.â€￾ - Tennessee Williams
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Welcome Sarita. How did you find us?

Why did you stay in the US for two decades? Which country were you an expat in before?

Do you recommend Cuba?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Sarita
Freshman Poster

Why I stayed here 2 decades.

Post by Sarita »

I was in Spain. Lived in Mostoles, a town outside of Madrid. I worked in Madrid and Getafe.

I came back here to take care of my mom and dad. First my mom got cancer, then my dad became ill, and before I knew it, both were quite ill. I guess into each life some rain must fall. I wanted my parents to move to Spain, but they became ill before that was possible, and they couldn't leave the U.S.

It takes a lot of effort to live in Cuba. However, Americans and Canadians that I know who have moved there, and were able to stay there, were overjoyed. If one has dollars, it's very easy to live there, but never at a standard like that in the U.S. Not that the standard in the U.S. is fantastic or anything. As we both know, the infrastructure here is a disaster, the lifestyle has gone to hell in a handbasket, and many, many people here live lives of poverty and quiet desperation. Still, with money, it's easy to find merchandise here, something that is slightly more difficult (though not impossible) in Cuba.

Those who are in Cuba are happy, mostly because they feel so loved, feel so unafraid, feel so openly invited by everyone, and get from everyone such a feeling of welcome. After being there a while, people just can't bear to leave. Right now, a friend of mine who is quite well to do and has been to Cuba 4 times, is having withdrawal. She feels nowhere else the way she feels in Cuba (and I'm not just saying that because I'm Cuban - it's utterly true). People there are so welcoming, both men and women. And they enjoy having fun, and it's very family-oriented. Just sitting around and a suddenly game of dominoes starts. Sitting around, and suddenly someone suggests having a party and dancing begins, and someone is offering drink. Sitting around, and suddenly people are talking and laughing, and it's a very warm, caring atmosphere. The sort of place where one sleeps truly soundly and can take a truly deep breath.

Does that make sense?

Winston wrote:Welcome Sarita. How did you find us?

Why did you stay in the US for two decades? Which country were you an expat in before?

Do you recommend Cuba?
Sarita
Freshman Poster

Post by Sarita »

How I found you. I don't recall exactly what I googled, but it something like americans less happy or americans less healthy, or something like that.
Winston wrote:Welcome Sarita. How did you find us?

Do you recommend Cuba?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Sarita,
That's a great plug for Cuba. I always assumed Cuba was scary and communist with a dictator like Fidel Castro. lol

Btw, check out this new deep realization and observation I had about Americans. What do you think?

viewtopic.php?t=23096
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

I have a question. Do girls from Cuba make good wives? I know that our great leader Obama has lifted some travel restrictions there. So does anyone have any knowledge if girls from Cuba are decent women marriage material?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/1 ... 86197.html
Sarita
Freshman Poster

Post by Sarita »

I just read your post -wow how true! How come you're the only one out there talking about these things? Are people that scared, or are they in a state of hypnosis?

Americans have a defensiveness, a fear, a desire to be ever more isolated and alone except during pre-programmed activities such as work and church. And of course, in order to fit into American society one must be that way too. And heaven forbid if you happen to mentionto them that Americans are trained to be loners. They'll deny it. Or, if you say that it's not healthy for a society to be that way, they'll tell you that they *love* to be alone, and that they're actually quite healthy, and that they were born with the desire to be alone, and that families are psycho, etc. etc. All sorts of excuses to justify the weird system here in the U.S.

The American system of life is just plain unhealthy, which explains all the self-help books, psych therapy, over the counter medication and illicit drugs.

About Cuba - I imagine if one goes to Cuba with the purpose of starting a revolution, things might get a little hairy. But if all one wants is to enjoy the island, its people and rest up from the stress of the U.S., you'll be allowed to enjoy.

Winston wrote:Sarita,
That's a great plug for Cuba. I always assumed Cuba was scary and communist with a dictator like Fidel Castro. lol

Btw, check out this new deep realization and observation I had about Americans. What do you think?

viewtopic.php?t=23096
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Hi again

Post by Jester »

Sarita wrote:
I don't know if you're familiar with travel to Cuba, but Cubans traveling to the island must have a Cuban passport. This is a fact whether or not one has citizenship in a new country. For ex., I'm a citizen of the U.S., of Israel, and of Spain (through my grandparents), but to travel to the U.S., I must enter with a Cuban-issued passport.

Bizarre, isn't it?
Actually I think most countries do this. I know Mexico and US do it for sure.

Not sure why.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why I stayed here 2 decades.

Post by Jester »

Sarita wrote:
I was in Spain. Lived in Mostoles, a town outside of Madrid. I worked in Madrid and Getafe.
So you liked Spain?

Sarita wrote:
....Americans and Canadians that I know who have moved there, and were able to stay there, were overjoyed. If one has dollars, it's very easy to live there,
How can Americans live there? I doubt they withdraw cash from a Cuban ATM?! Maybe they have offshore accounts and wire money (illegally) to Cuba? Or use debit cards from an offshore company? Or maybe they buy a stack of travelers checks that are cashable at Cuban banks? Otherwise I don't see how to do it. Or are they actually employed in Cuba?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Sarita,
What do you think of this observation?

viewtopic.php?t=23113