Cambodia Kicking My Butt

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Cambodia Kicking My Butt

Post by Cornfed »

droid wrote:Hey what's up guys, I just made it to phnog phenn today this place is a lot diffetent than I imagined. Quite a lot of differences from Vietnam actually. I don't think i will meetthe OP since and going tomorrow to the Ankorg wat temple. The place is not worth more than a couple days to be honest.
I will report some more later tonigh when i return to the hotel.
Ankor Wat is by Siam Reap. Aren't you going to do anything in PP itself. Apparently there is no shooting range now, and the killing fields thing was always stupid, but what about S21? Then there is the Way Phnom. We all like (small) monkeys, right? Oh well, it was actually a long time since I was there. Maybe it sucks ever worse.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Cornfed wrote: Ankor Wat is by Siam Reap. Aren't you going to do anything in PP itself. Apparently there is no shooting range now, and the killing fields thing was always stupid, but what about S21? Then there is the Way Phnom. We all like (small) monkeys, right? Oh well, it was actually a long time since I was there. Maybe it sucks ever worse.
I don't see a lot to do here, besides taking shots of the monuments along Preah Shihanouk, and the genocide museums seem too depressing.
These people are kind of nuts, and i thought Vietnam was surreal lol. First thing I see after crossing the border on a grab bike is this dark-asian rasputin looking character, naked and covered with mud, with a huge dick, strolling down the side of the road, with no one caring in the least lol. In phonm penh, piles of garbage everywhere, even a pig would refuse to eat on some of these sidewalks, all this along Bentleys + ultra high end malls + stuck up chix, lmao.

These countries are going from having no internet and riding bycicles to justin bieber et al on demand over 3G, crazy. They don't know what a dial up or dsl connection was.

Regarding women, they won't return eye contact for the most part. It doesn't look good. And the hotter ones just zip by in the motorbikes or tinted windows cars, there's nothing you can do it seems. A couple of girls smiled on the street tonight, and I talked a little bit with a nice "7" on the bus but I have zilch khmer, I thought she was viet. Her "9" (taking all the makeup at face value) friend scarcely aknowledged my prescence though.

Actually I'm a bit surprised because the phenotype here is predominantly Viet, althought the women are somewhat taller. I thought the darker khmer were majority but they seem like a 40%.
However, the language has the same tones as Vietnamese but it's a completely different language. It's like vietnamese being played backwards lol.

How about p4p, is there something you can recommend? I haven't done any of that in two years and would be a nice way to cap the trip at least, seeing that the women look better than I thought.

Otherwise i'll just head back to Saigon on thursday, the only reason i decided to come here at the last minute was because of my visa run.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

droid wrote: However, the language has the same tones as Vietnamese but it's a completely different language. It's like vietnamese being played backwards lol.
Khmer language is NOT a tonal language. A rather different language compared to Thai/Lao and Vietnamese.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Ok mind blown with Siem Reap right now, I have to back track a little bit on what i posted earlier.
I will make a separate thread later so I don't hijack this one more. Best of luck to the OP
Last edited by droid on October 19th, 2017, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
AkitaMan
Freshman Poster

Post by AkitaMan »

OP, you saw how fast that $1,000 went (the pickpocket notwithstanding). The $350 basically adds a little more length to the tightrope. I suggest holding that money as close as possible while you arrange a flight home asap. Do you have family or anybody else who could get a plane ticket for you? If not, then I'd suggest asking the embassy to fly you home. As another poster advised, retool and try it again when you have qualifications, a job in hand, and proper funds.

If you want to live overseas, especially as an English teacher, invest in at least a bachelor degree from a properly accredited school. If teaching English will be a longer-term thing, consider a relevant masters. You could do a TESOL certificate, but it's the masters that really gives you your wings. Some masters programs will give you a certificate partway through the degree.

I taught EFL in Japan for six years. I can't imagine that I would have gotten any traction without my BA. My lack of a relevant MA kept me out of most college-level positions. Even in countries where you can teach without a degree, you aren't likely to be any more than a disposable contractor. It's a good bet that those countries will eventually tighten their standards and start requiring academic qualifications.