Cambodia Kicking My Butt

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
A. Boyce
Freshman Poster

Cambodia Kicking My Butt

Post by A. Boyce »

Hey guys. Hey Winston. It's an honor. Longtime fan, finally got the courage and headed to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Because I do not have a degree, and I heard this was the easiest place to teach English, without one.

Just about everything that could go wrong so far, has gone wrong. First of all, I mean you guys can go ahead and make fun of me, because I deserve it. I chased around a part-Japanese girl that I knew from high school for twenty years. Thought I was making progress, only to find out that she me muted on facebook. So soulless and so callous, you know it injured me permanently. It didn't just hurt me.

So I just figured that I had absolutely nothing to lose. My life in America was just a total grind, and a day-to-day nightmare, and took me a long time just to save the $1,000 that I took with me. I had some of it in an envelope in my sock, and the very first thing that happened is someone picked my pocket. So now I'm down to $400, and I've only been here for, well this is my third day. I applied for English teaching jobs online, before I left but no one responded. I am in Battambang now, and it is a total hellhole. I feel little bugs crawling on me as I am typing this, why not they are everywhere.

I'm going back to Phnom Penh today, because at least it has some signs of civilization, and development. I've passed out my resume to different schools, but no one has called. I don't have fancy clothes, or money to buy them, or anything. Plus, I was told that Cambodians are the nicest people in Southeast Asia, but everyone has treated me like dirt more or less, and have been trying to rip me off. The women are giving me the same dirty looks, as American women. I think that I am just so hopelessly hairy, and ugly, and I'm getting old real quick and stuff, that it doesn't matter for me. I don't feel like I am wanted here, and I have nothing in the States to go back to.

Just out of curiosity, if I don't find a job before I run out of money, does anyone know if the American embassy or someone will send me home? I don't to die in this hellhole. I'm not blaming you Winston, or anything, I wanted to leave before I knew about this site. I hope you guys can make some sense of this, and tell me something. I just don't have anyone else, and my back is getting closer to the wall.

Thank you. Great site.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Cambodia Kicking My Butt

Post by Cornfed »

What are the regulations for cell phones now and how did you get one?

edit: BTW, you should go to the embassy. I think it is a huge building by the Wat Phnom now.

edit 2: I could have told you not to do what you did. The last time you could reasonably succeed with your scheme was about 2003. Ancient history.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Cornfed wrote: BTW, you should go to the embassy. I think it is a huge building by the Wat Phnom now.
More specifically, the Consular Section of the embassy to avail yourself of American Citizen Services. They usually have specific hours they to that work so check the website.

They can actually give you a loan to get a plane ticket out of there if it comes to that.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

We know this is likely to be a troll post, right? Apologies if it isn't.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

There could be a few reasons why you're having trouble finding an English teaching job. You can also try neighboring Vietnam or Thailand or China, where the job market for English teachers is much better. Or, try online jobs.

How old are you?
What kind of degree do you have?
What is your ethnic background?

All of these factors count.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah as Falcon says, if you want to make money money don't go to Cambodia.

There are lots of teaching jobs in Vietnam and China but regulations are getting tighter. China requires a TEFL, a degree and a police check. All have to be authenticated (which costs a lot of time and money).

Oh, and countries don't care about their citizens when they're abroad. Plenty of Brits have gone to Asia without travel insurance and if they get sick they're stuck there and become a huge financial burden on their families.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

I heard if you are an American citizen and get stranded in some country, the US Embassy will provide assistance but there are repercussions like a travel ban. I am not sure about other countries.

Why would this guy carry around a wad of cash like that? He is looking for trouble especially in SE Asia. Aren't there bank machines there? I would assume with $1,000 you could live quite a long time in a country like Cambodia. This guy obviously didn't do his homework before going.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Falcon wrote:How old are you?
What kind of degree do you have?
What is your ethnic background?

All of these factors count.
All of this matters, but none of it does. There is no point worrying about it. Either there are jobs for you or there aren't. The end.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Voyager1 wrote:I heard if you are an American citizen and get stranded in some country, the US Embassy will provide assistance but there are repercussions like a travel ban. I am not sure about other countries.
There are no repercussions unless you do not pay back the loan of assistance in the required time. If that happens, the State Department might refuse to issue you a new passport until you do pay it back.
Voyager1 wrote: Why would this guy carry around a wad of cash like that? He is looking for trouble especially in SE Asia. Aren't there bank machines there? I would assume with $1,000 you could live quite a long time in a country like Cambodia. This guy obviously didn't do his homework before going.
There is nothing wrong with carrying cash. I've carried more than that, but usually it is spread out between my bag, my wallet, and a few other strategic places.

The larger question is why would someone try to expat overseas with only $1000? You really need about 10 times that much to even make the attempt. He needs to relocate back to the US, work his butt off in multiple jobs and get a next egg saved up while researching his overseas options. Expatting with only $1000 will be a failure one way or another.
A. Boyce
Freshman Poster

Post by A. Boyce »

It was not a troll post. I respect that you assumed it was, I mean how stupid can one guy be? It is only getting worse. Same details, basically. I don't think that I deserve to die, just for being an idiot, and naïve. You know?

What are you in for? Killed a bunch of people. What about you? I am a serial rapist. What about you? I was convicted of treason? And so what about you, why are you being executed?

Well, I went to Cambodia without much of a plan. I thought that they were human there. Well, you thought wrong boy. DIE!!! Evil scum. You know. I'm telling the truth. I'm at TT Guesthouse on Street 258 right now. About 20 dollars left. Plus my laptop is going to die, and no adaptor. The only thing I have going for me, is that I rented the room for a week. So September 4, and then nice knowing you guys. Nice knowing you.

It's the end of the road.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

A. Boyce wrote:It was not a troll post. I respect that you assumed it was, I mean how stupid can one guy be? It is only getting worse. Same details, basically. I don't think that I deserve to die, just for being an idiot, and naïve. You know?
Dude, you just need to go to the embassy. You should have asked us BEFORE you did this.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Cornfed wrote:
A. Boyce wrote:It was not a troll post. I respect that you assumed it was, I mean how stupid can one guy be? It is only getting worse. Same details, basically. I don't think that I deserve to die, just for being an idiot, and naïve. You know?
Dude, you just need to go to the embassy. You should have asked us BEFORE you did this.
CORNY IS RIGHT :twisted: GO TO THE EMBASSY!
But you seem to not be thinking right. So call the embassy!
US EMBASSY CAMBODIA Phone: (855-23) 728-000

English
U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh
#1, Street 96
Sangkat Wat Phnom
Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh

Cambodian Language/Khmer
ស្ថានទូតអាមេរិកនៅភ្នំពេញ
ផ្ទះលេខ 1 ផ្លូវលេខ 96
សង្កាត់វត្តភ្នំ
ខ័ណ្ឌដូនពេញរាជធានីភ្នំពេញ
ទូរស័ព្ទ: (855-23) 728-000

sthantout amerik now phnompenh
phteahlekh 1 phlauv lekh 96
sangkeat vottaphnom
khnd daunpenh reachtheani phnompenh
toursapt: (855-23) 728-000

Destitute U.S. citizens in need of help overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate or the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at (888) 407-4747 (or from overseas +1 202-501-4444),

PLEASE NOTE!
Before following in my footsteps and living in a 3rd world piece of shit (Thailand, at least the part I am in), make sure you have:
1. a job waiting for you, or
2. enough money for a return ticket home!
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

Jesus what a nightmare. Do you not have a credit card? $1000 really?

My rules of travel:

1) Always have travel insurance
2) Have two wallets: One with cash for the day and a credit card. Leave the other wallet in the room in a secure spot with debit card and another credit card.
3) Keep wallet deep in a bookbag when walking the street.
4) Rarely trust anyone, especially if the person is a stranger off the street
5) Don't do anything you did.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

droid wrote:Image
Indeed. I almost get the sense that this "Trip" was a self-sabotage effort for an excuse to call "the end of the road." It all just does not add up.....