Experienced New Member Looking to Contribute

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
chomommablack
Freshman Poster

Experienced New Member Looking to Contribute

Post by chomommablack »

Hi All,

I have heard of this site before but just joined because it was highly recommended by an e-book I recently read on Kindle. I am a Black American Male who grew up in Queens, NY. I have been abroad mostly to Latin America and to Japan. My Wife is Japanese but has been working in NY for a while prior to us meeting. I have a lot of insight into Japan to offer but also a bit on Chinese/Korean culture since I grew up around mostly Asians. My neighborhood was also very mixed with Hispanics so I have insight there as well into the differences by nationality. I have traveled to different parts of the U.S. while younger spending a summer in Cali and in Minnesota. Relatives from down south. My major in college was International Relations so most of my time was spent studying basically every region on the planet. Hoping to bring some perspective and insight to help someone out. Also looking to learn more myself as my goal is to identify how to emigrate, moreso from the business aspect. I have an idea of setting up an internet marketing corp in Malaysia and basically servicing American companies with outsourced Malaysian labor. Sounds simple but I know from networking there are a lot of steps involved. So if anyone lives in Malaysia and owns a business or wants to collaborate let me know. Many ask me why I don't just go to Japan since I can work there legally. Well there are a long list of reasons why I won't, just inbox me if you want the whole novel...My goal is to get out of here ASAP even though I don't need to find a Woman now. The environment is toxic for your mental health and well being.

ChoMommaBlack
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Experienced New Member Looking to Contribute

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Welcome aboard. I wish you were hear when I spent a month in Japan earlier this year. I did the Tokyo and Osaka thing. Osaka was a disappointment so I took the train back to Tokyo which was wonderful. I stayed in both Chou-ku and Shinagawa.

Met a half-Japanese/half-Singaporean girl who did not seem so satisfied with Tokyo life which is full of depression and high strung types according to her.

One of the issues I encountered was the perception damage done by the Yazuka-connected Nigerian touts in Roppongi. I avoided them and most Japanese can sense that I am a Westerner on sight, but it was an issue.

Again, welcome and glad you are here.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

chomommablack,

It sounds like you've had some interesting life experience. I've spent quite a bit of time in Indonesia over the years. My wife is from there.

How do you think the skill available in the Malaysian market compares with the US or India? Why set up a business like that in Malaysia instead of India?

I haven't been to India. KL seems like an okay town to live in, relatively well developed, well laid out for the most part with reasonable big city traffic, large side-walks, etc. I saw western food in the grocery store there which was good for satisfying cravings. They have lost of English language book stores.

I speak Indonesian, so I can communicate with Malaysian taxi drivers and understand most of what they say.

As far as tech programmer resources go, it seems like Indonesia may lack the talent the US has. Some of the online shopping sites just aren't as polished as their US counterparts. But Go-jek is an Indonesian company. They must get their talent from somewhere. But they use an cell phone app. Maybe they don't need the same type of skill for that.
chomommablack
Freshman Poster

Post by chomommablack »

Thanks for the welcome,

Contrarian you are correct in that most SE Asians don't like Tokyo. Tokyo is similar to NYC give or take. But one major difference exists (which I LIKE) is that generally as a Black American Man they leave you alone. And semi-functional psychotic individuals are often not present in the general public. In NYC there are all kinds of heavily medicated unpredictable bi-polar individuals around at all times. Tokyo IS depressing if you are a SE Asian because they look down upon them whereas Americans get the Gaijin pass in general. Which is a topic for another post.

MrMan regarding Indonesia that is a definite NO along with India. For Many reasons but mainly Malaysia is on the list because I've worked with Malay expats multiple times in the past and their work ethic, quality of work, education, general attitude and greater secular perspective males them ideal to deal with in a both personal and commercial environment. However, do note I've dealt mostly with ethnically Chinese Malay...
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

chomommablack wrote:Thanks for the welcome,

Contrarian you are correct in that most SE Asians don't like Tokyo. Tokyo is similar to NYC give or take. But one major difference exists (which I LIKE) is that generally as a Black American Man they leave you alone. And semi-functional psychotic individuals are often not present in the general public. In NYC there are all kinds of heavily medicated unpredictable bi-polar individuals around at all times. Tokyo IS depressing if you are a SE Asian because they look down upon them whereas Americans get the Gaijin pass in general. Which is a topic for another post.
That makes perfect sense with why the girl did not like it. I found the Tokyo folks quite polite and all too happy to speak their few words of English where appropriate. Usually asking if I'm from San Francisco which I guess is their US city of reference with it being so close. In Osaka, people were a bit more standoffish, but not at all unpleasant. Another thing I found is that cold stares would change to warm smiles and greetings when I was a repeat customer. I made some nice acquaintances in the places I frequented.

One odd thing I noticed is that young white women from NZ, AUS, Canada, UK, Russia seem somewhat isolated there and were therefore more open to my approaches on the street. I got the sense that they don't get high paying jobs there (apart from hostesses, strippers, and the like) so they warm up to established western men there quickly. What do you think? Might have been just been a streak of beginner's luck.
chomommablack
Freshman Poster

Post by chomommablack »

Contrarian yes , if a single White Western Woman travels to Asia (or without her spouse) she is going to be desperate for interaction. This is because most Japanese males will not make the first move on a foreign Western White Woman.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

chomommablack wrote:Hi All,

I have heard of this site before but just joined because it was highly recommended by an e-book I recently read on Kindle. I am a Black American Male who grew up in Queens, NY. I have been abroad mostly to Latin America and to Japan. My Wife is Japanese but has been working in NY for a while prior to us meeting. I have a lot of insight into Japan to offer but also a bit on Chinese/Korean culture since I grew up around mostly Asians. My neighborhood was also very mixed with Hispanics so I have insight there as well into the differences by nationality. I have traveled to different parts of the U.S. while younger spending a summer in Cali and in Minnesota. Relatives from down south. My major in college was International Relations so most of my time was spent studying basically every region on the planet. Hoping to bring some perspective and insight to help someone out. Also looking to learn more myself as my goal is to identify how to emigrate, moreso from the business aspect. I have an idea of setting up an internet marketing corp in Malaysia and basically servicing American companies with outsourced Malaysian labor. Sounds simple but I know from networking there are a lot of steps involved. So if anyone lives in Malaysia and owns a business or wants to collaborate let me know. Many ask me why I don't just go to Japan since I can work there legally. Well there are a long list of reasons why I won't, just inbox me if you want the whole novel...My goal is to get out of here ASAP even though I don't need to find a Woman now. The environment is toxic for your mental health and well being.

ChoMommaBlack
Welcome. Did you date many American girls before you decided that you liked Asian girls? What made you decide to marry an Asian girl? :D
chomommablack
Freshman Poster

Post by chomommablack »

WorldTraveler wrote: Welcome. Did you date many American girls before you decided that you liked Asian girls? What made you decide to marry an Asian girl? :D
Not really. I grew up around 1st generation American Women. So I never really had a proper concept of an American Woman so to speak. A lot of my classmates as early as elementary school were 1st generation and still retained some traditional values of respecting a Man. I am also an older Millennial that grew up before social media. Things weren't perfect in the 90's but they were a lot better than they are now for young people. Lost my virginity to a Guatemalan chick (born in USA) but never really had a "real" relationship with an American Woman.

All of my serious relationships have been with foreign born Women. It is a long story but originally I was into Latinas from about age 12/13 but starting around age 25-27 I started to prefer Asians for a variety of reasons. People change I guess.
Master
Junior Poster
Location: Insane Asylum, Strip Joints, Playboy Mansion, Public Enemies List No.1, Harley Quinn's Heart

Post by Master »

It is a long story but originally I was into Latinas from about age 12/13 but starting around age 25-27 I started to prefer Asians for a variety of reasons. People change I guess.
What reasons?
Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
Become An Agent of Choas.

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

chomommablack wrote:MrMan regarding Indonesia that is a definite NO along with India. For Many reasons but mainly Malaysia is on the list because I've worked with Malay expats multiple times in the past and their work ethic, quality of work, education, general attitude and greater secular perspective males them ideal to deal with in a both personal and commercial environment. However, do note I've dealt mostly with ethnically Chinese Malay...
I have had some Chinese Malay friends. My impression is that in both in Indonesia and Malaysia, Chinese tend to have stronger work ethics than the local pribumi/puteri bumi peoples on average. They also value education. Of course, there are plenty of hard-working locals. Malaysia is also an English-speaking country.