Hoping to be an expat again

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Hoping to be an expat again

Post by xiongmao »

So I've been a teacher for 9 days now and I'm really enjoying it. I think my IT career is over for good. I'll miss the money but it is so much healthier standing in front of a class than slouched in front of a computer in a cubicle for 40 hours a week.

If I get fed up with TEFL then I'll teach IT or science.

The other plus with being overseas is that I no longer give any f*cks about immigration, alt-rights, terrorists, Brexits or all the other distractions that get you wound up.

Oh, and if anyone is thinking of becoming a teacher I'll add that the CELTA really was a magnificent course. It has helped me survive being thrown into the deep end. My sister is doing her teacher training back home in farangland. She hasn't even taught a whole class on her own yet, but I was doing that on day one!
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

AkitaMan
Freshman Poster

Re: Hoping to be an expat again

Post by AkitaMan »

xiongmao wrote:I think my IT career is over for good. I'll miss the money but it is so much healthier standing in front of a class than slouched in front of a computer in a cubicle for 40 hours a week.
I've actually been thinking about getting into IT, because it seems like a solid, reputable field with opportunities anywhere. But I do hear your concerns about the unhealthy cubicle lifestyle. I'd go for something that gets more into hardware so I can stay active and engaged with the physical world. The two tech guys in my office are a good example. They're usually not at their desks, and I often see them working with computer hardware, maintaining printers, etc. They're in good shape and don't come across as "computer geeks." They've been there for a long time (at least 10 years), and I'm sure they're paid well.
If I get fed up with TEFL then I'll teach IT or science.
Yet another good opportunity for IT people.