Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Newbie here. Hiya.

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.

Newbie here. Hiya.

Postby kristy_571 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Hello Winston and all;
My name is Kristy. I am originally from the US. I have done some traveling myself, and love different cultures. I also am intrested in hearing men's views and experiences of living overseas vs. the US (without judgement), and always like to hear opinions of what can be improved, or anything else. I am happy to be here, and look foward to getting to hear stories and experiences of overseas travel. :D
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Postby Jackal » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:12 pm

Welcome aboard, Kristy. Where have you travelled to?

I've been to the various towns and cities in the western part of the Czech Republic and I don't recommend it for Americans who don't yet speak excellent Czech (or another slavic language). People make friends slowly there and they tend to distrust or at least have little interest in foreigners. Also, the food is lousy and the service is terrible. Prague is very pretty and Czech beer is cheap and excellent ($1 to $2 a beer), but I see no reason to return. I'll try somewhere else next.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby kristy_571 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Hello. I've only been to a few places. I have visited Lebanon, Iran, Fiji, Austrailia, NZ, Canada, Mexico, Honduras, and El Salvador.
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Welcome Kristy darling! So glad to have you finally post here! Thanks for all the good advice on babies too. I wish we could have a forum for babies here too :) Then you'd be an advisor :)

Hugs,
Winston
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Jackal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:39 am

kristy_571 wrote:Hello. I've only been to a few places. I have visited Lebanon, Iran, Fiji, Austrailia, NZ, Canada, Mexico, Honduras, and El Salvador.

Wow, what was Iran like? Did you just go there as a tourist or did you have business there? I bet Iran has some amazing historical sites. How was the food?
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby kristy_571 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:00 pm

I wish I was smart enough to have something like a business. :)
My mother has family from Lebanon, and my father's second wife was from Iran, so I went there to visit with her family and see her country. It was very intresting, and scary. I had to cover my head the whole time there, and really watch my behaivoir. The food was very tasty-I can share some recipes if you want.
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Postby kristy_571 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi winston poo! How is Dianne and the baby? I am sure the little guy must be getting big. Give hugs to Dianne and kisses to the baby. If anyone needs any parenting advice, I'll give it-although I am sure some people are better at that and know more than me. But I am the parent of a 2 1/2 year old little girl-who also happens to be half Indian (like, India indian, not native american). So anyhoo. thanks Winston. You rock. :wink: :D
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Postby Jackal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:25 am

Kristy, my dear, let me say that it is refreshing to have a woman on the forum here. You bring new energy to the forum.

*kisses Kristy's hand* (I've been watching a lot of westerns lately, so I'm feeling very traditional. :D )

Anyway, I looked at your MySpace page and saw that you are a Muslim. Have you ever read about the Sufis? Although I'm mostly interested in Tibetan Buddhism these days, I'm interested in the deepest and most mystical aspects of all religions. Feel free to post something in the religion section sometime.

Do you listen to qawwali? I really like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's music. It's really deep spiritual music.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby kristy_571 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:28 pm

I read a bit about Sufism. I find it very fascinating.. but not for me. I am always open to reading about things, but will not necesarily incorporate it into my own life. I love the poetry of Rumi however. I think Sufism is a beautiful religion. But I practice Sunni Islam, and that is what I am most comfortable with. I haven't listend to his music. But I will check it out.

Thank you for the kiss on the hand. And you like westerns... but you have the charming part down. ;) My dad likes Westerns (he's your typical slightly red-neck, big burly American guy), and all he does is talk about riding horses, chewing "tobaccie", and how cool John Wayne is. Sheesh. lol rofl.

There are alot of nice people here.

I will offer my two cents on various things regarding American women. if I say anything offensive, point it out nicely, and I will respectfully listen to your views. More than anything else, I use it to learn lessons in my own life, and how to create balance. It is a good learning tool.
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Postby kristy_571 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:30 pm

Jackal wrote:Kristy, my dear, let me say that it is refreshing to have a woman on the forum here. You bring new energy to the forum.

*kisses Kristy's hand* (I've been watching a lot of westerns lately, so I'm feeling very traditional. :D )

:) wow. Sweet, gentleman like, open minded.. cultured. *sigh* :)
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Postby Jackal » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:53 am

Don't worry, Kristy. I'm just going through a phase with the westerns, and I'm more interested in the saloon girls in dresses with corsets and tight bodices than I am in the cowboys. I usually like clever suspense, mystery, or spy movies that involve international travel. My favorite movie now is "The Jackal" (the new one with Bruce Willis).

kristy_571 wrote::) wow. Sweet, gentleman like, open minded.. cultured. *sigh* :)

I have to admit that looking at the info and pics on your MySpace page made me feel little butterflies of joy as well. *sigh* 8)

Image Image Image

You understand what it is like to be caught between cultures and all the pain as well as joy it can bring. My mother is from a Scandanavian country and my father was an American, so I know this too.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby Winston » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:57 am

kristy_571 wrote:Hi winston poo! How is Dianne and the baby? I am sure the little guy must be getting big. Give hugs to Dianne and kisses to the baby. If anyone needs any parenting advice, I'll give it-although I am sure some people are better at that and know more than me. But I am the parent of a 2 1/2 year old little girl-who also happens to be half Indian (like, India indian, not native american). So anyhoo. thanks Winston. You rock. :wink: :D

W: Hi Kristy, well I do have a lot more questions about baby care, but don't have them all memorized and didn't write them down yet. Anyway here's a few:

1. My baby cries and looks upset when I hold him now, even if I hold him with the right technique. Why is that? Do some babies not like their father? Is it cause he's jealous and vying for attention from Dianne? Or maybe he only likes women?

2. When Dianne mixes the infant formula milk, she does it in the bottle by shaking it. The books I read, including the one by Dr. Spock, say that you should mix it in a bowl first before pouring it in. Does it matter?

3. Dianne's family is superstitious and traditional and say that the baby has to be one year old before it can get a haircut. Our doctor said that is mere tradition and there is no scientific reason why it has to be so. His hair it way too long and almost longer than his face now. How can we know if the long hair is annoying the baby or making him uncomfortable? He can't tell us, so how can we know?

This family doesn't think for itself. It only knows how to follow tradition. That's why I don't have much stimulating conversation with them.

How would you handle this?

4. They also think that it's unsafe for the baby to go out at night. I asked a doctor and she said it made no difference as long as the baby doesn't have a fever. I'm not sure whether they think it's bad for the baby's health to go out at night, or that spirits are more likely to harm him at night? But they follow this religiously.

Should I continue insisting to them that they stop living in fear and stop affecting the baby with superstitious beliefs?

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:02 am

kristy_571 wrote:I wish I was smart enough to have something like a business. :)
My mother has family from Lebanon, and my father's second wife was from Iran, so I went there to visit with her family and see her country. It was very intresting, and scary. I had to cover my head the whole time there, and really watch my behaivoir. The food was very tasty-I can share some recipes if you want.

W: So your family has Middle East culture in it? Is that why they would hit you when you were growing up? Is that normal in Middle East culture?

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:09 am

Since we're talking about Sufiism, what is the difference between Sufiism and Islam? Does the orthodox Islamic church consider Sufiism as heresy for its mystical components?

Regarding Westerns, we've been watching more of them too. Reminds me of the good old days. I've always had a nostalgia for them.

I was showing Dianne the cool music from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" yesterday, as it is one of the greatest movie themes ever.

Then we watched "The Quick and The Dead" a spaghetti western with Sharon Stone, Leonardo Di Caprio, Gene Hackman and Russel Crowe, one of my favorite westerns.

But I don't just like watching them. I like living them as well. I used to live in Virginia City, NV, a touristy Old West town. And I visited them when I went around the Southwest USA too.

They give me this freedom and nostalgia and love of nature as well, with the landscapes and all.

Oh by the way, "Dances with Wolves" is another favorite of mine.

Winston
Site Admin

Postby kristy_571 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:38 pm

WWu777 wrote:
kristy_571 wrote:I wish I was smart enough to have something like a business. :)

W: So your family has Middle East culture in it? Is that why they would hit you when you were growing up? Is that normal in Middle East culture?

My mom is half french and half lebanese. My dad is british and Ukrainian.

My father actually raised me when I was growing up. And he whipped my ass because that is how he was raised. His dad was really really strict. ;) He comes from one of those families where the kids have to call their father's sir, and have to follow all the rules. He was a kid in the early 60's, and was very young when he had me, so he did what he knew best. Plus with a hardworking man raising a little girl by himself (that was always a handful lol) it was hard on him.
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself