Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone. I wanted to introduce myself and maybe ask for some advice. I'll also advise others from my experiences.
I'm a 31 year old man, I've lived in California all my life, have lived in Los Angeles for about 8 years now, and I'm looking to get married.
I've had mild success with women in my life, but I want to find a woman that I'd be most happy with. So I plan on taking a trip to Ukraine from the loveme.com tours, and check out the women there. I'm not going to immediately find a Ukranian girl and marry her of course. I plan on checking it out with an open mind, and analyzing the women, see if their personalities/attractiveness would suit me better than if I found and married an American girl.
I make good money as an online poker player, and I'm going to be working in investment management in the near future once the economy gets a little better.
For the experienced travelers, does my plan sound good? Is Ukraine a good place to look for a life partner? Or would I be better off in Eastern Europe?
I've never been to Europe or Russia before. However, I did go to Thailand last year for a month, and I had a girlfriend (not a hooker! she sold cell phones) who was the best girlfriend I've ever had. But I don't think i want to marry an asian girl.
thanks in advance,
Online poker player? Wow, what does it take to make a living off something so high risk?
How did you find this site?
There is no formula that works for everyone, since there are so many random and intangible factors involved. Ukraine is good for some, but not others, and so is Eastern Europe and Russia.
What type of girl do you seek? With what qualities?
Sometimes you just have to go there and see.
Marriage romance tours are very expensive, but if you can afford them, and plan to do an AFA tour, can you use my affiliate link to sign up?
You can also just use dating sites in general.
If you have the time though, why not tour both Ukraine and Russia and Eastern Europe, since they are connected? I'm sure that, as a professional gambler, you know how to take calculated risks.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.
Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!
"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Hey Vinstonas, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I appreciate your advice and think I will travel around Ukraine and Eastern Europe. I might skip Russia though because Ukraine is similar and you need a Visa to get into Russia.
My profession as an online poker player is perfect for a traveler, all I need is my laptop to make money. But I don't want to do it forever, it's just for now to make money in the recession. What does it take? It takes dedication, reflection, and constant striving to improve. You can't do it just for the money, you have to appreciate the game and immerse yourself in the strategy of it. You also have to already be somewhat good at games of strategy like other card games or chess for example.
I'm looking for a girl who has energy, is outgoing, and enjoyable to be around. Someone who's a little on the thick side, but still thin. I like blondes. I want a life partner, someone to stand by me with whatever I chose to do, and I'll support her as well.
I can afford the tour, as a poker player I often win or lose $5k in week - usually win of course.
First of all, Ukraine 'is' in (Eastern) Europe, although not in Eastern 'EU'. Switzerland is not in the EU, either, but it 'is' in Europe still. So, right off the outset, some militant, Cold War era- "Ukraine is Russia, Russia is Asia- they are not one of us-nuke them!" -America-instilled misconceptions need to be removed before you go there. Europe ends at the Urals, and that's that. Most of Russia proper is in Europe, too.
Is that a good idea to go there and look for a girl? If you ask me, it is an OK idea because you will get a high quality girl, but do not expect them to jump on you because you are an American and can take them to the USA. Those days are long gone.
Study up a bit about the country- read a few Wikipedia articles and maybe learn some phrases of the language. By a Lonely Planet book. I was in Ukraine just now and the people are really proud and most do not want to leave except for work and then come back. One American guy is now living there with his wife but he goes out all the time to work in Afghanistan. He is very happy there and feels at home. Ukraine is a free and neutral country where you can practically do anything you want- it does not have the micromanagement legal situation of the USA. Many people there treat laws as suggestions only.
By some studies, 40% of people from the CIS- Russian speakers are happy in the USA. 60% are not. They do not like the dumbed-down culture and the ghetto music and all that fake smiling. The US economy is not doing that well either, now. Taking a girl out of a cheap and green ancient country to the US may not be such a good idea unless you are rich and you can introduce her to a good crowd of people.
Tall buildings in the US are nice, though.
Anyway, you will succeed if you:
i. Concentrate on how you can make the lady happy with your love and your life together and how you can serve her and your future family rather than thinking about how you can make yourself happy because of her. Avoid selfish love at all costs.
1) interview and talk with several ladies who actually want to go to the US ( if that is what you want them to do).
2) study their culture/history and do not make clumsy mistakes there. Like saying that Ukraine is not in Europe or calling Ukrainians- Russians- a deadly mistake. Learn Cyrillic as there are very few English signs there.
3) make sure that, if you take the girl to the US, the girl will have ample contact with her country afterwards and can go back there often- kind of hard with 2 week vacations in the US. And if she does not like it in the US, you have a back up plan to move to Ukraine with her. Would you?
4) do not choose a girl just just because she is a hot blond with long legs. Study the mind, not the body. Also do keep in mind that girls who are actively pursuing marriages with foreigners who do not speak their language and within agency framework are often ones with an agenda of some kind although not necessarily a bad one.
5) Seriously consider moving to Ukraine and spending time there with her rather than taking her to the US. If you have money and can make it online, life in Ukraine is far more pleasant than life in the USA. All the modern conveniences are there now although 2-3 times cheaper. The country is young and just beginning. The US is in decline. She will also be much happier and avoid years of humiliating treatment by US immigration authorities, interrogation-like personal interviews by the INS where they ask what color your underwear is, people who generally make snide remarks about mail order brides and the "Commies", representatives of militant US minorities who hate white people, especially foreign white people, etc. Feminists who think she is there to get a Green Card and talk bad to and about her. Customer Service people on the phone who yell at those with an accent. Think about all that. Present day USA can be a nasty place for her. Unless you two are super duper rich and can live in a good area together.
American guys who live in Ukraine feel good because it is like living in the US in the 1920ies-total freedom.
Conventional, old fashioned marriages in the US are now under attack and so can yours be. So just keep that in mind.
Hope that helps.
Only my opinion, though. Ask people around for second, third and fourth opinions, please.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
You definitely have an interesting take on this, I appreciate your detailed post, thanks. I am going to Ukraine as a vacation and also to meet women. I'm going with an open, skeptical mind, so marrying a Ukraine woman is a possibility but not a sure thing. One thing I don't want to do is play poker for a living forever. I've been studying to get a job in finance. Thing is, what would I do for a career in Ukraine? Start a business of some kind?
Business in your wife's name ( small) . Or something you can do online. Or buy a house in the US and live off the rents there. Do not sink your money in a corrupt, wild country like Ukraine unless you have strong contacts there. But even then...
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Since i have just retired and very tuff in the states to find a younger model happier abroad is a good solution. With my prenuptual agreement and
my bags packed i think life on the other side wont be to bad. Let the overpaid basketball players and soapopera stars have it. I worked my whole life fora living.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests