Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Greetings everyone!

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.

Greetings everyone!

Postby Charger R/T » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Hello everybody! Just joined the forum and am looking forward to sharing new stories of travel and adventure. Heres my story thus far: I'm 22 and I live in Arizona, USA. I've only been outside the country once, and unfortunately I wasn't able to enjoy those few hours ( I'll bore you with that story some other time). Any way, I have a possible oppurtunity to go to the Czech Republic and get hired with an established company. From what I understand, the longest visa I can get is six months. Which is fine as I have stuff I still need to do stateside. The only real problem I have is the $625 a month car payment I have to make ( I'm not bragging, I bought it out of lonelyness and dispair, though it is a sweet ride). If anyone could tell me how to go about getting that visa it would be very much appreciated. And if anyone could tell me a website showing the differenc between the USD and the currency used by the Czechs, it would really help me figure out how much I need to make. Thanks again and I look forward to communicating with you all soon.
Charger R/T
Freshman Poster

Postby globetrotter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:31 am

Get rid of that car payment. It is how much you will be earning in Czech each month.

You cannot expat with debt, CC's, student loans, auto payments or a mortgage.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Postby momopi » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:58 am

Cars are depreciating assets. Instead of putting $625 a month into it, consider putting that into a cash flow positive investment property.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Charger R/T » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:05 am

So much for going to the Czech then, at least for now. I do have an idea as to how I can get rid of the debts some what quickly. I'll see if I can get a three day work week at my current job(monsterous hours). Then I'll see if I can get another job working the other four days of the week. It will take some time, but i'm sure it will be well worth the effort. Then again, I suppose I could park the car in crappy part of town with the window down and the keys in the ignition, but I don't know if I have the heart for that. Let me know what you think.
Charger R/T
Freshman Poster

Czech Currency- the Koruna

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:55 am

You happened to ask something right up my alley....
As you can see, today there were a bit more than 18 Koruna to the dollar

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

1 US Dollar = 18.38243 Czech Koruna
1 Czech Koruna (CZK) = 0.05440 US Dollar (USD)

Median price = 18.33750 / 18.38243 (bid/ask)
Minimum price = 18.24600 / 18.31600
Maximum price = 18.41700 / 18.45540
Nate
Freshman Poster

It's Like That...

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:01 am

I would NEVER advocate breaking the law! :wink:
The rest of it is doing what you have to do! :roll:

Nate
Nate
Freshman Poster

Re: It's Like That...

Postby Adama » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:49 am

Nate wrote:I would NEVER advocate breaking the law! :wink:
The rest of it is doing what you have to do! :roll:

Nate

What does breaking the law have to do with any of this?
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

it's Humor...

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Just humor about his desperation to get out of his large car payment...he mentioned doing an insurance job to get out from under it.

Nate
Nate
Freshman Poster

Re: it's Humor...

Postby Charger R/T » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Nate wrote:Just humor about his desperation to get out of his large car payment...he mentioned doing an insurance job to get out from under it.

Nate
I wouldn't say I'm desperate to get out of the payment. I really do enjoy having the car. And someday I would like to bring a kid home from the hospital in it. I want my car to stay in the family. Besides I have a few ideas to make the payment go away faster. It will take little time is all.
Charger R/T
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Is there any way you can refinance the car payment or lower it? How much longer do you have before you pay it off?

To find exchange rates, Google "exchange rates czech and dollar" and you will get several helpful sites.

What kind of visa are you looking to get? You can walk in with a tourist visa. You don't need to apply for that.

If you are working there, your job may get you a working visa. You gotta ask them about it.

Would your job in the Czech Republic pay enough for you to continue making the car payment?

If it comes to it, maybe you can talk to the dealer or bank and tell them you want to go overseas and see if they're willing to make some kind of deal with you?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Charger R/T » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:29 pm

Winston wrote:Is there any way you can refinance the car payment or lower it? How much longer do you have before you pay it off?

To find exchange rates, Google "exchange rates czech and dollar" and you will get several helpful sites.

What kind of visa are you looking to get? You can walk in with a tourist visa. You don't need to apply for that.

If you are working there, your job may get you a working visa. You gotta ask them about it.

Would your job in the Czech Republic pay enough for you to continue making the car payment?

If it comes to it, maybe you can talk to the dealer or bank and tell them you want to go overseas and see if they're willing to make some kind of deal with you?

I still owe way to much against my car to refinance it. I think it would be best to just keep paying on it steadilly for now.

I was wanting to get a work visa. I was told the longest I could get is six months. And that's coming from my contact from the Czech. I really doubt they could pay me enough to make my payment and be able to afford to live over there. There the job exists in the Czech in the first place is because the company can pay the people over there one fourth of what they would have to pay someone here in the states, which would be like five bucks an hour by my guestimations.

For right now it's not a high priority to me to get over there. I already have several ideas to raise money to expedite the debt reduction process. It's really just a matter of time before it comes to fruition. I'm almost twenty-three now, so I still have plenty of youth left in me. As long as I hang on to the dream of going abroad, there's nothing that can stand in my way.
Charger R/T
Freshman Poster

Postby Charger R/T » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:39 pm

Well I checked a few online websites to liquidate all the crap I've accumulated over the years. Looks like a lot of the stuff I'll have to sell at a huge loss. I'm trying to follow Dark Taley's advice and have nothing but a hand bag of clothe's by the time I'm ready to go somewhere. This weekend I'm going to go to some stores to see what I can get. I know it will be hard to have to eat crow and sell for what I can get, but I have to do what I have to do.
Charger R/T
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:40 pm

Around Summer 2009 there was a large inventory of used Lexus at local dealerships, because a lot of people who couldn't afford their payments had to return it. Both lease and purchase. I'm not sure what kind of deals they made, but it's clear that the owners were able to go talk to them and say "I can't afford my payments" and come to some kind of terms.

Of all the things that could hold you back from seeing the world, a car payment should be somewhere on the bottom of the list.

In my younger days, I spent a lot of $$ on cars. I drove a cherry red Mustang in high school and bought 2 new Hondas afterwards. I had a monthly payment of $475 on my Accord when it was new. Then I read the book "Rich dad Poor dad' about 10 years ago and realized that cars and boats are liabilities with depreciating value. I have yet to buy a new car since. If I want to play, it's cheaper to pay $500 to rent a Porsche 997 Carrera convertible for the weekend, instead of actually buying it.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Charger R/T » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:12 pm

momopi wrote:Around Summer 2009 there was a large inventory of used Lexus at local dealerships, because a lot of people who couldn't afford their payments had to return it. Both lease and purchase. I'm not sure what kind of deals they made, but it's clear that the owners were able to go talk to them and say "I can't afford my payments" and come to some kind of terms.

Of all the things that could hold you back from seeing the world, a car payment should be somewhere on the bottom of the list.

In my younger days, I spent a lot of $$ on cars. I drove a cherry red Mustang in high school and bought 2 new Hondas afterwards. I had a monthly payment of $475 on my Accord when it was new. Then I read the book "Rich dad Poor dad' about 10 years ago and realized that cars and boats are liabilities with depreciating value. I have yet to buy a new car since. If I want to play, it's cheaper to pay $500 to rent a Porsche 997 Carrera convertible for the weekend, instead of actually buying it.
I've pissed away a lot money on cars. I'v gone through two mustangs, and a truck in the four yeats I,ve been in the car market. I'm currently on a hemi Dodge Charger. The payoff according to my latest statement is over $35,000. I've been really stupid over the years, but I'm trying to change that now.
Charger R/T
Freshman Poster

Ouch

Postby Charger R/T » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:30 pm

I just got selling most of my video game collection. Out of the hundreds of dollars pissed away, I got back a whopping sixty-five dollars. I know taking it all to the game shop I was going to get hosed hard, but at least this way it's out of sight and out of mind.

I'm going to keep posting here on this thread, both as a journal and to let who ever cares know that I'm slowly making progress.

Up next for liquidation, the comic book collection!

Stay tuned!
Charger R/T
Freshman Poster

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself