Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Hey veterans, newbie here

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.

Postby Jackal » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:37 pm

YoucancallmeAl wrote:Are there no hot black girls in Africa?

Most of the black people in the US came from Western Africa because it was closer to the US. Africans from eastern African countries, such as Somalia and Ethiopia, look different and are better-looking, in my opinion.

Check out this thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 336&page=2

YoucancallmeAl wrote:As someone w/o a college degree, I don't think I want to bother with TEFL (except maybe online). I read the TEFL forums last year and found that restrictions are much more in force now and competition is much higher (due to the economic crisis) and in those few countries that will hire a college-less teacher, your lack of a degree means you will make much less and be treated like shit (particularly in China). If I could just take a TEFL/CELTA course and then get a good legal job somewhere like Prague or Bangkok I would have done it yesterday. But that just isn't possible anymore.

On the other hand, it might still be valuable for you to take a TEFL course in the country where you want to work, if one is offered. Then the organization that runs your course will help you find a local job there (or at least that's what the websites say: I don't know from personal experience whether this is true or not).

Here's a TEFL program in Kazakhstan:
http://www.goabroad.com/providers/tefl- ... eas!-56379

As far as "legal" goes, I think whether it's worth it to be totally legit depends on the country. In some countries, the immigration laws aren't enforced very strictly, there's a whole culture of expats who are there technically illegally, and it may actually be a waste of time to get the right permits. In others, doing things by the book is essential. You have to research the situation beforehand.

YoucancallmeAl wrote:So unless someone can tell me where in Latin America a and b aren't true, then I should probably keep my focus on SE Asia and the poorest Eastern European countries. I ain't gettin' any younger or better looking, and I especially ain't gettin' any richer.

Yeah, you seem to be thinking of the right places. I've heard few things about Vietnam, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, and Bangladesh. You might want to research those if you're looking for out-of-the-way places in SE Asia.

YoucancallmeAl wrote:I've never thought of places like Armenia, Georgia, or Kazakhstan before.

They seem to be the new frontier for expats.

YoucancallmeAl wrote: You never really see anything about them on forums like this and I'm assuming there's a reason for that.

But how many of the guys here are actually overseas? Six? Seven? The rest are guessing based on the media and the media is influenced by what is popular, so it's natural that these more remote countries are not discussed much on these kinds of forums. Most people follow the herd. Then after a few strong people say, "Hey, this is really a good place," then a whole stampede of expats will follow.

Since you don't have a degree, you can't follow the herd, because the herd is competition.

YoucancallmeAl wrote:Have you been to them and if so what was your experience like? If not, do you know where there is more expat info & advice for those countries?

No, I haven't ever visited them, but I think you're guaranteed an adventure if you go!

Here are some videos about Kazakhstan (the same channel has many others about Kazakhstan):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64OfnMRY ... re=related

Here's a video about Georgia (it's clearly a biased video by its government which doesn't say anything bad about it, but it's a start):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS8xixlJ ... re=related

Try researching Mongolia, too.

I don't know about any other forums which would have info about them. Maybe other people might know.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:00 pm

YoucancallmeAl wrote:
djfourmoney wrote: I would suggest you get some type of certifications or take a short one-two year degree program.
Depending where you end up living, most countries are looking for high skill labor; Engineers, Chemist, Programmers, IT, etc. I don't know what your skill set is but I'm a DJ and I could likely start doing mobiles and clubs in Europe and network from there. Should be even easier in English speaking countries like the UK. But instead of depending on that, I'm opting for IT certifications up to MSCE.
It doesn't take long if you're familiar with computers, about a year from start to finish.

Thanx DJ4$,

2 questions:
1. Getting a degree in the US is insanely expensive (I ain't got the cash) and even if I could afford it, I don't want to hang out in the US for 2 more years. I want to get the f out ASAP. Well, I noticed that a lot of girls from these poor countries DO have college degrees, so I'm assuming education is much cheaper there. Anyone know if an American can get their Bachelor's in a foreign country? Like the Philippines? Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper if you could? And would it be worth the same?

2. Funny you're a DJ. So maybe you can answer this: I used to be both a college radio and a nightclub DJ for 4 years back in the 90's and I have a ton of musical knowledge, both past and current music. I've often wondered if I could put that experience to use in a foreign land. For example, if a lot of people in the Philippines like American music and culture, wouldn't they want to have an actual American to DJ in their clubs? And if so, would it be legal for them to hire an American with a tourist visa and/or would the club owner be able/willing to get you a work permit/visa?
And if not the Philippines, do you know any other countries where this would work?

1. I am going to a local Occupational Center here in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley). It cost $70 for A+ and $70+ each for Networking Part 1 and Networking Part 2 which includes getting you ready for Cisco Certification. If you use Dice.com which is a site especially for high tech jobs, you'll find this is all you need. You don't need a AS or BA in Computer Science. To get a job with the UN, NATO, USID, etc your CV/Resume will look better with at least 5 years of experience or a degree of some sort but most people don't even need that. Most of these jobs have been available for MONTHS! Despite what it seems like alot of people getting into IT its not that heavy because in our society its still considered "Geeky".

If your concerned about cost, don't be. If your poor enough you can get a Pell Grant, you don't have to repay it. Community College is still super cheap compared to any University. Trust me, I'm jaded as well and if thought I could pack up and leave just with a few leads on DJ gigs I might do it because the rest of my resume is worthless, especially to a Multi-National Company. Use the Labor Dept Web Site - http://www.careeronestop.org/

You can always go to school overseas... The problem is to get permanent residency in an EU country you need to have certain amount of income coming in if your retired or you must show your not using any public services for help. That means you need to be working in some capacity. Once you get that however, you can apply to school in almost any country and go for FREE as your a permanent resident. There's a guy that went to Texas Tech. He went on a ISEP exchange program to Germany. While there he took a German language course in Vienna. He after his exchange was finished, he decided to enroll there (Univ of Giessen) where he got his Masters in Finance.

Education is also free (that's why I decided to finish my masters there)

You can read the story here - http://www.expatinterviews.com/germany/windsor.html

2. You've never been clubbing in Europe? Its almost always in English... Even in Ukraine, I found US music videos on TV from people like 50 Cent. At the nightclubs they mostly played House/Electronica which is normal for Europe but they do play some Hip Hop/R&B. There was a club in Sweden that played all Motown hits. When they were playing some mid 70's Stevie Wonder or Rick James it was okay but when they started playing early 60's stuff like "Heatwave" it got old really fast. I went to another club in Norway that played straight up Gangsta Beats like Dr Dre and Warren G. It was kinda funny but I'm West Side Rida so... It was early when we left but I heard it gets packed. One of the other places I went too played alot of what I guess you would call Top 40 Dance in America. So whatever was hot during the summer of 2007 in the US was being played in much of Europe too.

There was a guy playing 70's-80's Black Music in front of the Frankfurt Main Train station. Europe and Japan is where many artist long forgotten by the American public still go, pack them in and make money, go to You Tube and you'll see what I mean.

I really got a kick out of Urban radio in Norway, cursing and everything... To get uncensored music in America you have to listen to Internet Radio, Pandora, Slacker or Sirius XM. In Norway this was broadcast over the free air waves... From what I can tell its like that all over Europe.

You shouldn't have a problem DJ'ing in Europe. You just have to network and meet the right people. We're all largely playing the same stuff, local artist get played but I didn't find any of that being played in the clubs I found, artist from English speaking countries are FAR more popular it really doesn't matter where you go. In some places in Europe they love US Country/Western Music, go figure.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Just adding -

There some hot women in South America. I'm assuming you want those with more European Blood than those with Native Indian blood. That's not to say dark skinned women can't be beautiful of course but the quote ugly and fat ones are usually descendants of the indigenous population. Colombia has become the spot for the Latina bride business though they are venturing into Peru and other countries now. Finding an attractive woman down there shouldn't be all that hard, especially if you speak Spanish.

I was thinking Europe mainly because it has highly developed infrastructure, though South America is catching up, its still not mature and like Eastern Europe, those things we tend to take for granted here are more costly in those countries and parts of the world.

Something that was brought up and kinda off topic but here goes.

I don't think there's much of a problem with bringing your wife home from whatever country she's from. I think some people make too much of their new wife becoming ruined by Western Women (and Media) who believe her beliefs will undermine their authority in America. I don't know what kind of women these men who fear this run into but I like women with strong opinions. Most of them think AW are crazy anyway, why would they want to be like them? They do appreciated the rule of law here in America however since the corruption is so high in Eastern Europe for example. I think most men believe if they play "keep away" nothing will corrupt their wife.

Ladislav is right though most women would jump for joy if you agreed to stay in their home country. But unlike selfish Western Women, if they love you, they will follow you where ever you go. They also understand that the type of job you may have might not be easy to fill in her home country. I'm not even put off by women that want to come to the US. I think you have to be cautious with those women, but even Winston met that Blonde girl that had spent some time in the America and was looking to go back. It shouldn't surprise anybody that some people ACTUALLY do want to come here. It might be for the wrong reasons, so you need to check that. Some people even if that's all the life they have ever known, it doesn't always feel like home, that maybe you belong somewhere else. Don't believe that the only people that are expats are escaping Anglo culture, some are escaping their own culture because they like the one in Anglo better.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:33 am

"Please throw away the idea that those people around the world are dying to come to the US and get the Green Card. Most would rather have you live there. "

Well, there are plenty of people who want to move to the US.

Here's some data on Chinese immigration to the US:
http://www.migrationinformation.org/USF ... cfm?ID=781

In 1990 there were 583,513 immigrants from China (born in China/HK) living in the US.
In 2008 there were 1,570,999.

Here's the data for Vietnamese:
http://www.migrationinformation.org/USf ... cfm?ID=799

Korean:
http://www.migrationinformation.org/USf ... cfm?ID=793

Philippino:
http://www.migrationinformation.org/USf ... cfm?ID=777

Indian:
http://www.migrationinformation.org/USf ... cfm?ID=785

None of them really compares to Mexicans though. hehehehe.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby The_Adventurer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:16 am

I remember I talked to some Mexicans in a restaurant I used to always eat at in CA. Most just want to save up a stack of money and go back home. They don't want to settle down and stay there.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Postby ladislav » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 am

Most immigrants who go to the US do not go there to date. Most already have relationships and just go for school, work, and on business. Many come as refugees because no one would take them. Nothing wrong with that. I do not think that we bash American politics or the economy too much here. This is about global dating and how to combine US citizenship with dating and social life in other countries. That is what essentially we are all about here.
Most of us here are guys who think this is a barren desert for dating. But women who come here do not think so and more power to them. If you are an Ethiopian woman who wants to have a good job, a car and a house and a husband, you would not be going to the Philippines for that would you?If you are a Russian girl and do not want to get beat up by a drunk thug boyfriend somewhere in Tula, then America will present better opportunities for you to find a good man. If you are a Chinese man who wants to start a laundry shop and that is your goal and then to have a car and buy a house, then America is the place. You will get an SBA loan, car loan and bingo, you are in business. The Asian American community will help you, too.
If you want to practice a religion in peace and propagate it, then it is the place.
Nothing wrong with that.
Those people are not concerned with high divorce rates or spoiled women here. That is not what they come for.
Now, many Arabs with money think America is great- they can get hookers and /or some desperate girls and have sex all they want- they are loaded.
So, it all depends on your priorities and what you want out of life.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:42 am

ladislav wrote:Most immigrants who go to the US do not go there to date. Most already have relationships and just go for school, work, and on business. Many come as refugees because no one would take them. Nothing wrong with that. I do not think that we bash American politics or the economy too much here. This is about global dating and how to combine US citizenship with dating and social life in other countries. That is what essentially we are all about here.
Most of us here are guys who think this is a barren desert for dating. But women who come here do not think so and more power to them. If you are an Ethiopian woman who wants to have a good job, a car and a house and a husband, you would not be going to the Philippines for that would you?If you are a Russian girl and do not want to get beat up by a drunk thug boyfriend somewhere in Tula, then America will present better opportunities for you to find a good man. If you are a Chinese man who wants to start a laundry shop and that is your goal and then to have a car and buy a house, then America is the place. You will get an SBA loan, car loan and bingo, you are in business. The Asian American community will help you, too.
If you want to practice a religion in peace and propagate it, then it is the place.
Nothing wrong with that.
Those people are not concerned with high divorce rates or spoiled women here. That is not what they come for.
Now, many Arabs with money think America is great- they can get hookers and /or some desperate girls and have sex all they want- they are loaded.
So, it all depends on your priorities and what you want out of life.

100% and almost a year is a long time to wait to get your permission to come here for a K-1 Visa. Some people get scammed and that sucks, but most of the time they passed over clear signs he wasn't in a the relationship they thought they were in. Besides it happens the other way around too, I know a German woman that was scammed by a dirt bag American guy from the sticks in Maryland.

America for better or worst is still the land of opportunity. It needs some serious tweaking but it was always a "work in progress".
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jackal » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:08 am

djfourmoney wrote:You can always go to school overseas... The problem is to get permanent residency in an EU country you need to have certain amount of income coming in if your retired or you must show your not using any public services for help. That means you need to be working in some capacity. Once you get that however, you can apply to school in almost any country and go for FREE as your a permanent resident. There's a guy that went to Texas Tech. He went on a ISEP exchange program to Germany. While there he took a German language course in Vienna. He after his exchange was finished, he decided to enroll there (Univ of Giessen) where he got his Masters in Finance.

You can read the story here - http://www.expatinterviews.com/germany/windsor.html

That's a great success story! But it all goes back to that man's mastery of the local language. A lot of aspiring expats either don't have the talent to do that or resent the idea, although I'm not sure why... there ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

Which is worth the effort: spending your whole life trying to please Anglobitches or spending a few years of your life learning another language?
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby YoucancallmeAl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Jackal,

Thanx for the novel ideas for countries to try, but I'm not sure I can afford to take chances on untested markets. If I had unlimited resources or a safe, steady income source, trust me, I would be all up in Kazakhstan, Armenia, Mongolia, etc exploring and testing it out and reporting back what I find. But I only have a finite amount of savings and thus need to play it relatively safe by choosing well-trodden proven commodities where we know there's a lot of women looking for western guys.
For example, on InternationalCupid I'm getting lots of interest and messages from the girls of the Philippines and Ukraine, but very little from anyplace else.
The site allows you to do advanced searches by country. But when I put Kazakhstan or Armenia in the search almost nothing comes up, and the few women that do show up tend to either be too old or they're young and hot but don't wanna date anyone my age.
The Kazakhstan search for example produced a handful of hot 20-something girls but none of them wanted to date anyone over 35. (I'm 41) This would suggest that Kazakhstan has a relatively good economy, as the countries where 20yr-old girls are looking for 40yo+ men tend to be the ones with the most desperate economies.
I did a google search on "cost of living" for Kazakhstan and sure enough, turns out it's more expensive than the other countries in it's region:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... ID=1902059

So considering my finite resources and my lack of a college degree, it's probably best for me to take the path of least resistance, and right now that looks like Philippines and/or Ukraine. Ideally, I'd love to marry a woman from the EU so that I can get EU citizenship and never have to come crawling back to the US. But the only EU country that seems to have any decent options on InternationalCupid is Romania and even those girls are few and far between.

BTW, I saw a wiki link somewhere on this forum that showed a country-by-country breakdown of how long a tourist could stay in each country but when I tried a bunch of keywords in a google search I couldn't find it. Anyone have that link?
YoucancallmeAl
Freshman Poster

Postby YoucancallmeAl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:46 pm

DJ4$,

Thanx for the ideas. Your tech skills suggestions sound intriguing but I'm not a very "tech" kinda guy and have no clue where to even start getting training. As for pell grants, I forgot to mention: I already went to an Art Institute and a community college over 20 years ago with a small grant and some loans. I was a total fuck-up then so I dropped out of both schools after about a year each and never paid back my loans, which destroyed my credit and left me in several thousand dollars debt. I'm a lot more mature and responsible now but I'm guessing it would be impossible for me to get more grants and loans. I'm trying to stay off Uncle Sam's radar anyway as you might say I'm a bit of a tax resister.

As for Euro-clubs I only checked out a few. I should have looked into it more when I was there 4 years ago. One thing I noticed listening to the radio on my old walkman, they have a lot of really really awful music in Europe! Holy shit, it was bad. And it seemed the further east you traveled, the dumber the music on the radio got. Really cheesy obnoxious dance-pop, sometimes with English lyrics, sometimes not, but about 70% stuff that was just too embarrassingly stupid to ever make it on American radio. The kind of stuff that would make Britney Spears sound like a musical genius by comparison. WTF are they thinking? I thought they were supposed to be smarter and better educated than us dumb Americans. So why do they listen to such retarded music? You would think the Europeans would have more sophisticated musical tastes but they clearly don't. It was depressing.
Last edited by YoucancallmeAl on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoucancallmeAl
Freshman Poster

Postby Jackal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:22 pm

YoucancallmeAl wrote:Jackal,

Thanx for the novel ideas for countries to try, but I'm not sure I can afford to take chances on untested markets. If I had unlimited resources or a safe, steady income source, trust me, I would be all up in Kazakhstan, Armenia, Mongolia, etc exploring and testing it out and reporting back what I find. But I only have a finite amount of savings and thus need to play it relatively safe by choosing well-trodden proven commodities where we know there's a lot of women looking for western guys.

Yes, I understand. I wasn't suggesting that you should take a leap into the unknown. My plan was as follows: 1) find countries where you can teach English with only a TEFL certicate without a degree, 2) get your TEFL certificate, 3) apply for English teaching jobs in those countries, and 4) If you get hired, choose one and go.

YoucancallmeAl wrote:For example, on InternationalCupid I'm getting lots of interest and messages from the girls of the Philippines and Ukraine, but very little from anyplace else.

That doesn't mean that women from other countries aren't interested. It may just mean that they don't speak English. This might amount to the same thing from your point of view, but it is slightly different.

For example, Romania is really poor. I'm sure lots of girls there would like to marry a guy with some cash, but they might not speak English well. Romanian is a Latin-based language, so if you know a Romance language like Spanish or French you can make yourself understood there. A lot of people in Romania only make around 300 USD per month!

YoucancallmeAl wrote:So considering my finite resources and my lack of a college degree, it's probably best for me to take the path of least resistance, and right now that looks like Philippines and/or Ukraine.

There's nothing wrong with those two countries. Ukraine is full of sexy women. Good luck.

YoucancallmeAl wrote:BTW, I saw a wiki link somewhere on this forum that showed a country-by-country breakdown of how long a tourist could stay in each country but when I tried a bunch of keywords in a google search I couldn't find it. Anyone have that link?

I think in most EU countries, you can stay up to 90 days with a tourist visa. That seems to be the norm, but I'm not sure about other places.

Turkey seems to have pretty lax immigration laws since all the hookers go there to pay 10 USD a month for a visa. I'm not sure if they have to keep leaving and coming back, though.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 am

Actually Al, the path of least resistance is to marry a local. It works in reverse too you know. That is a secondary plan of mine but its still going to come back to what your going to do? On that same expat story site, there was a American who was stationed in Germany during Vietnam. Once the war was over in the mid 70's he got discharged and came back to the US with his German Wife and Baby in tow. He didn't like the direction of the country (US) or employment opportunities here. So he packed up his wife, child and returned to Germany. He got a job driving a forklift in a warehouse, he worked that job until about a decade or so ago. He decided to change careers mid-stream, so now he got his certificates and he works for the German Park District as a Network Admin.

I'm not trying to push you into the tech career, but after looking at what so many European countries want, its high skilled labor or at least skilled labor. Denmark has a Positive List - http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_t ... itivelist/ These are the types of careers they are looking for immigrants to fill. You're a US Citizen so you're not considered a immigrant in the classic sense. You're considered an ex-pat.

Anyway options for those without degrees are low, I am in your shoes. I just like the internet and computers so it made sense to go this route. It also takes the least amount of time. Do you really want to do the same work poor immigrants are doing?

I would relocate for a woman that can't. Those are mostly women with children though and as was said, the truth is even Russian/Ukrainian women would rather stay home but if they understand its not likely if they date and marry a Western Man.

Is SE Asia the answer? I don't know unemployment in the Philppines is around 7%
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:10 am

Oh yeah, Jackal is right about 90 days Visa free in Schengen countries. But that's the official line... The unofficial line can be seen on sites like Lonely Planet where Americans constantly overstay their Visa. Europeans do it too. I used to date a Hungarian girl that came to visit a friend and never went back. She eventually talked a friend into marrying her so she could get her Green Card. I know a Austrian that did the very same thing. So that's the unofficial line about free travel in Western Countries. Its much more difficult in South America and Eastern Europe.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself