Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


New here.

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.

Re: New here.

Postby vertical » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:12 am

Northamericanguy wrote:As far as Americans not having anytime for each other, to a degree, I don't have much sympathy for them because Americans make life hard on themselves. For example, people rarely chose not to have children, Americans pay extra money to live in "luxury" or "exclusive" areas, the average Amercian wedding people hand over around 30 grand, Americans chose to pay 300 bucks to attend a professional baseball game, Americans live in homes that are way to big for them, Americans feel the need to buy designer clothes/shoes, and on and on and on......

So what it all comes down to is that Americans don't pursue a quality of life, Americans chose to pursue materialism, status, fame, and "success" and the byproducts of choosing this route is having to work all the time and forgo a quality social life to be able to pay for all this crap.


Yes, because we have to drive that BMW and have the Louis Vuitton bag. And we suffer because of that. If our attitude was one of - we're okay with driving the Toyota Yaris, as long as we have the beer and barbeque with friends and family on the weekend, we'd be A LOT happier.
vertical
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:43 am







Postby jamesbond » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:52 pm

vertical wrote:So sad, but true. But what else are you gonna do? It's a self propagating cycle. People focus on work because they're lonely, and then because work is all they have, they get even lonelier. Then they work even more and buy stuff to try to fill the void.


How true! There are more workaholics in America than any country in the world! The funny thing is, Americans are the most productive workers in the world and they get the least amount of time off from their employers of anyone else in the world! :shock: For example, in France people get 6 weeks paid vacation starting with their first year of employment. In the US, people get 1 to 2 weeks of paid vacation per year.

A lot of countries in Europe give their employees up to 6 weeks of paid vacation starting with their fist year of employment. Do you think this will ever happen in the US? Hell no because corporate America owns the US government.

I read a statistic that said 90% of Americans hate their job! I believe it, how many people do you know of, who actually likes their job?

America always ranks near the bottom when they do surveys about people's quality of life. One recent survey had France at #1 and usually it's a European country that's at the top of the list. There is more to life to just working and consuming but Americans are trapped in that lifestyle because of the high cost of living in the US.

In the USA, it's life, liberty and the pursuit of a paycheck!
User avatar
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: USA

Postby vertical » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes, it's the same in Europe and Australia - you get 6 weeks off. But more importantly, you have medical and unemployment benefits if you get laid off. I know in Aus you get those benefits forever, they don't end in 6 months or a year.

Even though Americans may hate their job, they wouldn't know what to do with themelves if they didn't work . .

In the quality of life surveys, it's usually an Australian or European city, or Zurich that are in the top 10.
vertical
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:43 am

Postby aozora13 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:41 am

Vertical, first welcome to the board. you definitely are correct about Oz. Even though it does seem to be an America Lite, the people are approachable and the best thing is that they love guys who are non-white (yay). In America usually mixing is hard and in Europe it is usually easier. Now your comment about benefits, Australia has high taxes and so that is why they have unemployment benefits. However, a girl that I know in Australia that lives in Victoria said about her said was on unemployment and it was not that much to help out his family. This resulted them getting into debt. Sad story but the real interesting part is that I knew this girl only about a month and she told me this.

She most like me since most girls although they tell me tales of their life I would not want to know about, she has tried at least to get to know me and has called (as in mobile) and although expensive I see that she wants to at least get to know me and see how the relationship will go in the future.

Hope you enjoy the forum! There are some good topics for you to research on from people who live (or have lived) in several countries. It should help if you want to go somewhere else or get more advice about Oz.
aozora13
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Re: New here.

Postby DaRick » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:54 am

Welcome to the website vertical.

Remember however, that your experiences in Australia are properly very different to my own (as a native) because you are a foreigner. Australians would automatically see you as a novelty and treat you differently from how they would treat me, for instance. This particularly applies to Australian girls, who like Americans. American girls are apparently the same with Australians, but I've no desire to get within an ocean of one if I can help it.

I do think that Australians are less psychotic and paranoid than Americans, but they're still very wary of people they don't relate to or understand and mental illness rates here are still quite high. Why? Simply because Australians do not really value their friendships. They are warm on the outside (which is probably what you experienced) and cold and indifferent on the inside. A Sudanese man I spoke to at length (who has lived here for nearly 15 years) agrees with me. They will be superficially friendly, but it is like you're barely in their thoughts - so much so that, when you are separated by distance or circumstances, they make no effort to contact you (I've made an effort to contact them, however).

Like Americans, Australians also are not particularly close, family-wise. Different age groups are like separate tribes. Basically, kids only interact with their parents on an as-needed basis.

vertical wrote:I've spent extended time in Australia, and it's nothing like America.


It's becoming America-lite. Why? Because Australian culture is quite tenuous to begin with, because Australia is a young country (younger than America, for instance), so it is prone to outside cultural influences. It used to be Britain-lite. Trashy American TV programs and cultural idioms (gangsta rap, the OC, etc) are quite popular among the youth, in particular.

When you meet people down under you actually GET TO KNOW them. Unfortunately in America, when you meet someone, there's a wall up, and everyone pretends they're fine. When you meet people you never know what they're actually going through because they'll never tell you.


Australia is becoming more like this. Younger people have this tendency to close themselves up. I'll explain why...

Basically, if you speak about your problems, you'll often get told to shut up or stop "pleeehhhhhhddddddiiiiinnnnnn fer piiiitttteeeeehhhhhhh!". I think that Australians lack empathy in general.

When I was Aus, I would hear on TV about the Aussie core value of helping another mate.


...which is not often exercised these days. Backstabbing and one-upmanship is rife, particularly amongst the younger generations. This 'mateship' concept is just a holdover from the 1910's, when Australians did in fact, help each other in times of crisis. The misadventures in the Somme and Gallipoli are supposedly examples of such.

Well, Aussies love to travel. But the native Aussies are very friendly and easy-going. It's a very laid back, easy going lifestyle over there, so after awhile it becomes a part of your personality.


Yes, Australians do like to travel. But they usually travel to the tourist spots and then come home again, without managing to have learnt much about the country's culture or anything. My aunts and uncles do this.

...and they're only superficially friendly and laid-back. They're often all too happy to tear you down when they think you are over-achieving (tall-poppy syndrome) and the place has become a politically correct soft-despotism (there's the American influence again). Whenever you make a comment that goes against the grain, they either question your patriotism ("why don't you leave the country"), make shocked noises or perhaps use ad-hominems.

That's another thing - patriotism. Australia's brand of patriotism - flag-waving bullshit and Australian tattoos - is now a lot like America's. This is particularly common amongst the youth.

Now, as for genuineness, I agree that older Australians are fairly genuine and generally not all that neurotic. As such, they're not itching to tear you down in order to try and deflect attention from their own failings.

Younger Australians, however, tend to be more narcissistic and insecure. They will big themselves up then tear you down.

I also disagree with aozora13 about the racism thing. Australia's racism is mild compared to the racism you'd find in say, Sudan (where Black Muslims and Christians have been slaughtered)...but don't think it is not simmering underneath with many.

There is a post in my rants and raves about Anglo-Australian attitudes towards guys dating Asians - not pleasant stuff.

I would also like to say that my father's family (typical Australians) have mostly treated my mother pretty shabbily over the past 25 years. She is not white. They were fine with my dad's ex, who was white.
DaRick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, AUS

Postby aozora13 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:21 pm

DaRick,

I realize that no place is different but I usually am not contacted by Americans that they want to get to know me. I believe that Australians that I have met do like Black Americans and this is why I mentioned this. I guess I should have been more specific but I usually try not to be really direct about people in different countries liking different groups.

It is pretty much the same with other cultures in the west. I would say that possibly you can met an Aussie that will like you but possibly her parents will not and this is not uncommon in the US either. I would say that although Oz is becoming a America-Lite, it is still more tolerable than living in the States. Most guys for the most part in the country probably at most have a few girls in their lives. This is quite common in modern day America and I wonder why men try the PUA [Pickup Artist] thing in America. It is too much effort for a relationship which is based on a bad foundation.

DaRick, I was talking too about foreigners who are non-white usually black Americans are liked by Aussie girls. Probably because of being a novelty. It is common in other countries too. Yes, you do not know how it was in the US especially 50 years ago like my grandparents told me the discrimination is always here but it is really bad at that time and I was referring to only dating. Possibly socially it is better too but the American influence is sickening so I see why Oz has changed.

One last thing DaRick. Have you seen American artificial friendliness? It is disgusting and people usually do it in the business world and/or corporate world. I usually see how people behave and most are covering up something (true intentions) but do not do it because they are scared.

Hopefully this clears up what I said in the above comment.
aozora13
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Postby DaRick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:53 pm

aozora13 wrote:DaRick,

I realize that no place is different but I usually am not contacted by Americans that they want to get to know me. I believe that Australians that I have met do like Black Americans and this is why I mentioned this. I guess I should have been more specific but I usually try not to be really direct about people in different countries liking different groups.


Nah, it's not a big deal really. Perhaps these Australians wish to get to know you because you are a foreigner? That's what I suspect, because Australians are generally not particularly interested in getting to know me - which is why I have spent large tracts of my life being lonely. Australian girls are the worst in this regard. They're almost as bad as American girls, for me.

I was a little antagonistic last night about Australians because I got upset with some comments some Australian bogan (redneck) made about my Filipina, implying that she was a prostitute. The comments I made last night should be taken with that in mind.

Still, remember that things are not always as they seem with Australians. They may seem friendly and laid-back on the surface - but they can be coldly indifferent on the inside and they can be disdainful of all immigrants at times, not just blacks (I hear that America is the same). This is particularly the case amongst the youth, many of whom ape American youth in their hedonism, puritanism (i.e - the guy always deserves to get abused by the girl) and narcissism. Some also behave like California surfer dudes or ghetto types.

Basically, I find that Australians are 'friendly' but very few wish to be your friend for more than a year or two, if that - I hear people saying the exact same things about Americans. Even as 'friends', they're still not very close. The Australian friends I made in highschool didn't contact me very often on the weekends, for instance.

It is pretty much the same with other cultures in the west. I would say that possibly you can met an Aussie that will like you but possibly her parents will not and this is not uncommon in the US either. I would say that although Oz is becoming a America-Lite, it is still more tolerable than living in the States. Most guys for the most part in the country probably at most have a few girls in their lives. This is quite common in modern day America and I wonder why men try the PUA [Pickup Artist] thing in America. It is too much effort for a relationship which is based on a bad foundation.


Usually, it's the parents of Australian people my age (particularly girls) who like me more than their children do! :lol: Why? Because they've been raised in marginally more traditional climes and do not have the ingrained sense of entitlement and attraction to scum (due to Australian culture borrowing from American culture that seems to exalt scum and denigrate decent men - Samantha Brett, a "relationships guru", is a key cultural conduit, in this sense).

Men try the PUA thing in the perceived absence of other options. We both know that PUA is dodgy and can only (at best) enhance a girl's attraction to you, but they are too deluded to see this.

It is interesting how they do not consider 'global dating' as an option the way we do. I aver that they think that they are superior to us 'foreign woman' seekers because they are winning over (or trying to win over, anyway), 'tougher' American women and that we're only seeking foreign women because we're not good enough for American women (rather than say, because American women are revolting). So basically, they think that American women are 'superior' and so they will be superior to us if they win them over because they're not going for 'second-best', if that makes any sense. They're basically imperialists.

DaRick, I was talking too about foreigners who are non-white usually black Americans are liked by Aussie girls.


I have heard that the Australian girls like the 'ghetto' type African-American guys, because again, American culture has seeped into Australia and promotes these types of black guys (through cretins like 50 Cent) like no other - so every Australian girl now wants one, because the TV told them that they WAZ KOOL LULZ! :roll:

You certainly do not seem like one of those types, so you may not have as much luck with them. But I could be wrong.

I would not pursue an Australian girl for any amount of money. They would probably fleece most of it off me in divorce (family) court anyway (divorce rates here are as high as in America).

One last thing DaRick. Have you seen American artificial friendliness? It is disgusting and people usually do it in the business world and/or corporate world. I usually see how people behave and most are covering up something (true intentions) but do not do it because they are scared.


I've not been to America, so I've never seen it first hand, no. Americans can be notoriously slippery though, so I don't doubt what you say.

Well, Australians have this superficial, artificial friendliness about them too, though I suspect that in their case that it is motivated by fear. Fear that the other guy will get too close to them. So they keep things superficial and light. That way, they can still keep to themselves without appearing like too much of a knob (perceptions and appearance are generally important to Australians - laid-back yet extremely self-conscious - what a paradox huh?).
DaRick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, AUS

Postby vertical » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:03 am

aozora13 wrote:Have you seen American artificial friendliness? It is disgusting and people usually do it in the business world and/or corporate world. I usually see how people behave and most are covering up something (true intentions) but do not do it because they are scared.


Yes, Americans can be fake as plastic trees. It's the whole, "how are you?", "I'm perfect!", American BS that Julie Delpy's character talks about in the movie Before Sunset.

As far as women in Aus, I can't really comment because I was with someone over there. However, Aussie people are much more down to earth and genuine. You can even see it in the way people dress. I took the train quite a bit in the Sydney suburbs, and everyone dresses normally. Meaning if you go to the suburbs, you won't see people wearing designer clothes.

As far as the racism thing, Muslims are very open in Australia. I even saw Muslim men dressed in the whole garb. You'll never see that in America.
vertical
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:43 am

Postby DaRick » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:41 am

As for Australian fakeness, people always put on these insincere smiles when they greet others. I rarely smile (because often I have little reason to) and I get chided for it, to which I respond that it is insincere, anyway.
DaRick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, AUS

Postby aozora13 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:06 am

DaRick, I agree with you about the smile, I usually do not do it because usually there is nothing to smile about. I usually say hello and try to smile but I feel fake and I realize that if I am not happy why am I smiling.

I guess Oz being America-Lite they have the same characteristics. However, I will say America-Lite is better than dealing with people where I am every day. It is basically really burdensome and I feel that I really need to get out.
aozora13
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest