Difficulty of obtaining citizenship in Asia?

Discuss international visas, immigration and citizenship issues.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 19th, 2019, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ph
Freshman Poster

Post by ph »

Taiwan is possible to become a citizen. But its not to say its easy to become one.

Though if I had to choose between these 4 (china, japan, korea or taiwan), taiwan would work okay for PR. high quality of life, standard of living and cleanliness beats china al together. I even longed to be out of china.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty of obtaining citizenship in Asia?

Post by Winston »

@Rock,
Here's a webpage about the steps to obtain citizenship in Taiwan, in case you're interested. But you probably know all about it already. I'm just posting it below for reference and if anyone else needs it.

Turning Taiwanese: A Step-By-Step Guide to Acquiring Taiwanese Citizenship

https://articles.taiwanease.com/en/2017 ... tizenship/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re:

Post by Yohan »

Ghost wrote:
November 13th, 2013, 5:44 am
I don't think it is possible to become a citizen of places like China, Japan, and Korea, unless you are ethnically 'one of them.'
It is possible to get Japanese nationality, regardless if you are 'ethnically one of them' or not. Not even so difficult if you live in Japan, however most foreigners like I myself are asking what do I gain with doing that?

I prefer to keep my EU-Austria citizenship and holding Japanese permanent resident status.
That's better for me. However I could apply anytime for Japanese citizenship, I fulfill all requirements living in Japan since more than 40 years, but my EU-citizenship will be lost.

However it depends on what citizenship do you have - there are many people - especially those from Asia - if they fulfill all requirements they often prefer to give back their present citizenship and take the Japanese one... I know some Filipinos, Cambodians, Vietnamese and Laotians who made it up into Japan and managed to stay here - and also some Koreans (both from North and South, who are born in Japan) and Chinese (mostly from Taiwan) who are now holding Japanese citizenship.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

I know a guy who has PR in Panama. He owns a house and some land there and plans to split his time 50/50 between Panama and the US when he retires. From what he told me it was pretty straightforward to obtain. Not sure about citizenship.

Hong Kong is pretty easy but very lengthy. Even marriage doesn't speed up the PR process, but does give you an interim visa that needs to been renewed every year or two that is functionality a permanent residence card.

Mainland China - forget about it. Not sure about Taiwan.

Japan - I know a guy that got PR since he works in Japan and is married to a Japanese citizen. I believe it only took him a few years but I may be mis-remembering the details.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

CannedHam wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 7:11 am
Japan - I know a guy that got PR since he works in Japan and is married to a Japanese citizen. I believe it only took him a few years but I may be mis-remembering the details.
Your information is correct. I am holding Japanese permanent residence since more than 35 years.

If you are not a tourist and are holding already a working permit/visa for one year and have a regular job/income, can speak some Japanese and are married with a Japanese citizen, the minimum waiting time is only 3 years for permanent residence. If not case by case, minimum 5 years.
Application is free of charge, if granted there is only a small stamp fee to pay.

Permanent residency is a good thing if you are in Japan - almost same as citizenship without voting right (I don't care about that)

You are within the Japanese National Health Insurance for life.
You do not need a working permit anymore, you can do any job without reporting.
You can buy your own house/land or condominium unit and open your own shop...
You have to report to Immigration only one time in 7 years to renew your ID card and residence status.
You can leave Japan, but you must be back within one year, otherwise the residence status will be lost. No re-entry permit required.
You can use the automatic gate, same as the Japanese citizens do at any Japanese international airport, very fast for departure and arrival...
You permanent residence status remains valid, even in case of divorce or if the spouse dies (with a marriage visa you might face problems ...)

As I said, I am happy with my EU(Austria) citizenship and Japanese Permanent Residence Status.
There is no reason for me to apply for Japanese citizenship, I never did any job which requires Japanese citizenship.

-----

About Taiwan, I have no experience myself, but I know some people from USA and Japan who are holding PR in Taiwan.
So far what they told me, it seems the requirements are somehow similar to those of Japan.

-----

About Thailand, it is not friendly to foreigners regarding permanent residency and citizenship. Tourists are welcome, long stay not so really.
I have a 1 year retirement visa for Thailand, my second home is in Pattaya.
If you are 50+ and have some money in a Thai bank or retirement allowance from outside of Thailand and fulfill some other requirements you can apply for 1 year retirement visa, however a Thai visa does not offer any other services like health insurance or working permit...