Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Renounce U.S. Citizenship While You Still Can

Discuss international visas, immigration and citizenship issues.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Taco » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:05 am

When you fail to pay taxes in the US the government doesn't treat it as an accounting error, they file criminal charges against you no matter which country you live in.

http://www.internationalman.com/articles/is-it-time-to-renounce-us-citizenship-while-you-still-can
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value – zero – Voltaire

We know that the next economic crash (every 7 years) is coming soon, because these crashes are deliberately timed to coincide with the U.S. presidential cycle. – Jeff Nielson
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Renounce U.S. Citizenship While You Still Can

Postby IraqVet2003 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:08 am

Taco wrote:When you fail to pay taxes in the US the government doesn't treat it as an accounting error, they file criminal charges against you no matter which country you live in.

http://www.internationalman.com/articles/is-it-time-to-renounce-us-citizenship-while-you-still-can

Excellent article!!!
IraqVet2003
Freshman Poster

Postby Blue Murder » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:34 pm

It would be unwise to renounce US citizenship. Don't think you'd escape taxes. Ex-Americans still have to pay some weird tax if they void their nationality. My advice? If you plan on going Galt, best head to a country with no extradition or that has a record of giving America the finger like Ecuador or China. Other than that, it's not smart.
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Postby Ghost » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:18 am

Easier I would think to get a second passport. Not easy, just easier. The U.S. makes you pay out the ass and makes it strenuous to renounce. A second passport will still be difficult, but marriage to a foreign woman along with residing in her country for a few years should work in most cases.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Rock » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:18 am

Ghost wrote:Easier I would think to get a second passport. Not easy, just easier. The U.S. makes you pay out the a** and makes it strenuous to renounce. A second passport will still be difficult, but marriage to a foreign woman along with residing in her country for a few years should work in most cases.

Unless you are in a certain income and/or net asset bracket or above (around 2 mn in net assets or 150K annual income), renouncing USA citizenship is pretty easily with no exit tax and can be achieved usually in 2-4 months without much actual time required.

Getting a second passport OTOH is extremely difficult for most USA citizens at least. For lucky ones who somehow qualify for another citizenship such as Eurobrat did with Italy, there's all kinds of time involved and major hurdles to jump through. Here are the possibilities that come to mind:

1. Qualified in another country: Probably will take 1 year or more and masses of paper work, FBI clearance, etc.

2. Economic citizenship: These are available in a handful of countries and the cheapest I believe is still at least 100,000K plus lawyer fees for a single person. Similar time and effort requirement as 1 above or perhaps slightly faster. At minimum it's gonna take 6-8 months from start to finish.

3. Israeli citizenship for Jewish Americans: I don't know how long this takes or how difficult it it. I suspect it might be easier and faster than 1 and 2 above. But isn't Israel an extension of USA or vice-versa lol?

4. Naturalization: The fastest countries I know of now take 5 years and require residency status during that time. Once you qualify, there is a lot of paperwork as per 1 or 2 above and many will require you to renounce your current citizenship (USA) anyway as part of the process.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Blue Murder » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Unless you make enough money to where a little offshoot is nothing, or giving the US government a finger and not paying the permanent ex-citizen tax I mentioned, it's best you keep it.
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Return to Visas, Immigration, Citizenship Issues