Immigration in America

Discuss international visas, immigration and citizenship issues.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Immigration in America

Post by jamesbond »

We used to only allow people to immigrate into the US who were educated, hard working and who could easily assimilate into American society. Thanks to the 1965 immigration act, that has all changed.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRwdpiV64iM[/youtube]
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
chomommablack
Freshman Poster

Re: Immigration in America

Post by chomommablack »

jamesbond wrote:We used to only allow people to immigrate into the US who were educated, hard working and who could easily assimilate into American society. Thanks to the 1965 immigration act, that has all changed.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRwdpiV64iM[/youtube]
I wonder if this is with the exception of the Chinese from Fujian province. There are a lot of old Fujianese immigrants who still do not speak a lick of English in NYC and have ZERO education beyond the elementary school level. Understandably this is a very specific group. It is to my understanding that this was apart of Nixon's policy but I am wondering what exactly was the logic behind it in retrospect. A lot of them are poor and destitute and looked down upon by more recent immigrants from China that hold much better qualifications and education.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

I cannot understand why any male or anyone with children would want to immigrate to the USA when there are so many better options out there.

I left America and hate going back each year to handle business and tax matters. It is horrible but the Hollywood myths continue to make it appear better than it actually is.

Only single female stand to have better lives in the USA since women are the exhalted class socially and legally.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

There are some decent-paying fields where many of the highest salaries are in the US. An extreme example would be a hedge fund manager position, but those aren't the only jobs.

The quality of food in the US is also good compared to some other countries. If you go to the supermarket in some countries, it is hard to get the selection you get in the US. Education is paid for by taxes.

I'm not sure if it is that great of a deal for laborers, unless they can get welfare or other benefits. If their children aren't educated well in their home country, that could be a motivating factor.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

MrMan wrote:There are some decent-paying fields where many of the highest salaries are in the US. An extreme example would be a hedge fund manager position, but those aren't the only jobs.
There are more such jobs outside the US than in it. Also Hedge Fund Manager positions and those of similar stature are very rarely taken by immigrants. So lower level jobs are the draw.
MrMan wrote: The quality of food in the US is also good compared to some other countries. If you go to the supermarket in some countries, it is hard to get the selection you get in the US.
What are you arguing here, quality of food or selection of food? In terms of quality, you could not be more wrong. Fruits and veggies taste far better in Europe because the GMO produced produce cannot compare to naturally organic produce.
Also, the epidemic of obesity in the US is that way because us foods are filled with high fructose corn syrup to trigger the body into needed to eat more and more. Moreover, the chemicals and hormones injected into US meats are only beginning to show their negative effects in the research.

American food is therefore among the LEAST healthy in the world.

Now for your high selection argument, I don't care if I can't find 20 varieties of peanut butter in US markets. I am quite satisfied with the single brand and single choice in Europe and I have never felt deprived.
MrMan wrote: Education is paid for by taxes.
When you take the entire economy of education in consideration, most education is NOT paid for by taxes. Public schools are paid for by taxes, but private and religious schools are paid privately. Also, Most university education is slightly subsidized by taxes in the form of grants, but most college tuition is privately paid. The government is currently in debt because of unpaid debts owed to it.
MrMan wrote: I'm not sure if it is that great of a deal for laborers, unless they can get welfare or other benefits. If their children aren't educated well in their home country, that could be a motivating factor.
I speak to people who want to immigrate to the USA all the time and they ALL have a misconception of America based on the Hollywood movies and pop culture. Once they get here, they see that the glitz and wealth is a myth and America is all about work and debt. Most importantly, they see the degradation of their children's behavior which comes from other American children in school. The kids get sucked into the depraved culture to the dismay of the parents.

America sucks and if you can't see that, you are too dim to be on this site.