No more anchor babies?

Discuss international visas, immigration and citizenship issues.
Neo
Junior Poster

No more anchor babies?

Post by Neo »

Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: No more anchor babies?

Post by MrMan »

The news commentator sure comes off as idiotic here. We heard the clip. We can tell Trump is not talking about changing the constitution with an executive order. What a stupid accusation. The debate is whether immigration law as to who is a citizen can be changed by an executive order or not. I'm not constitutional lawyer, but I'm guessing this is a fuzzy area of law that no president has tried to approach.

From a balance of powers perspective, he might be one-upping even Obama's radical uses of executive orders when he couldn't get laws passed. This would greatly expand the powers of the presidency. It's something the federal courts may have to decide on if he did it.

For some reason, I can stand conservatives being smarmy. But it just doesn't work for liberals. It is almost painful to watch MSNBC. Apparently, the public tends to agree with me.
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

Many legal scholars consider the Birthright Citizenship to be a somewhat questionable interpretation of the 14th Amendment. It has never been considered by the Supreme Court. Many countries that used to have birthright citizenship have gotten rid of it because is is a really bad idea in the modern world of cheap, fast and safe travel. Others never made the mistake of having such a thing.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

30-35 minutes into today's program, Rush Limbaugh explains how it was meant to give slaves citizenship and he read an explanation of the author of the 14th Amendment who wrote that it is not meant to apply to foreigners. Apparently the interpretation changed during the 1960s.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

This is well intentioned, but it is about 50 years too late.

America is on its deathbed because the offspring from "Sh.thole" countries reproduce the most!

Go abroad fellas; enjoy your lives and enjoy "the decline."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 7:58 am
This is well intentioned, but it is about 50 years too late.
Obviously you're probably right, but people can but try.