Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

-----

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby Ghost » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:25 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I need a plan! What can I do?

Postby Jackal » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Rock wrote:
Well, I also suggested that he could go with minimal savings as long as he started out in a safe country like Taiwan, less than 2 hours away and under US$100 one way by air.

Thing about teaching English in PI, you gotta wonder, why don't any of our on-the-ground guys do it? Lad teaches online, Mr. S does something more professional, and Winston runs a site plus freelances as an editor. I suspect straight-up English teaching work in PI sucks, both pay and condition wise.

...I have seen a certain type of foreigner both in Thailand and PI who for whatever reason runs-out of money and gets stuck.

Yeah, okay, good points. I admit that I don't know crap about the Philippines. That's true that the quality of ESL varies by country. Getting stuck is certainly not good. I think a person needs to do a bit of research and have a back up plan or two for any country he goes to.

Also, I think it's important to email potential employers before you go, so they already generally know who you are and are thinking about you. They might email you about a job opening when you least expect it. That's what happened to me.
Last edited by Jackal on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: I need a plan! What can I do?

Postby Jackal » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Ghost wrote:I mean, Filipinos are mostly poor, many have no jobs from what I've read, and yet they survive. So why can't a foreigner (who would have more resources anyway!) make it there?

Yes, that can be a good way to think, but don't forget that the locals speak the local language and understand the local culture: those are advantages which you will not have, at least at first.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Here are more ways to make money abroad.

http://www.singledudetravel.com/2011/07 ... ey-abroad/
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Questions and Advice