Buy a motorcycle or travel?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
magnum
Junior Poster

Buy a motorcycle or travel?

Post by magnum »

So here is the deal, I've been saving up money for a wile so I could buy my self a motorcycle, I've wanted one for six years now and if you ask me. a motorcycle is the only way to fly on the road!

Now I read this book on vagabonding, and after reading many things on these forum, I've been inspired to travel.

I have about 2500$ as of right now to spend on a bike or on a epic adventure.

I would be lying if I didn't say women aren't part of the reason I want to travel, but at the same time, I have to admit, I don't think a person is complete if they never experienced the world outside of the USA.

I've never left the usa not to mention california.

I try to be logic about things like this so I've made a list

Pros and cons of a motorcycle

Pros

1. the price of gas no longer matters.

2. Childhood dream finally realized

3. traffic is longer a issue

4. SPEED!

5. I'm no longer have to feel belittled driving my old pos car.

Cons

1. what if it rains

2. I got ran over by a truck on the free way

3. where do I put my things *computer/bags/ect*

4. if I'm ever have another gf she might not want to ride the motorcycle

5. outgrowing the bike and needing to buy a new one.

Epic adventure of travel pros and cons

pros

1. I will see if everything I've read here and only dreamed could be real is out side of the usa

2. I will never lose the experience, be it a good or bad one

3. Could get lucky and meet a woman who wont eat my soul leaving me empty inside

4. get real perspective on if I'd like to live outside the usa

5. grow a little wiser

cons

1. I have to come back eventually

2. once the money is gone, it's gone

3. I don't know the language or where to go for entertainment

4. no motorcycle and I'm still stuck with my pos car even if I had the time of my life.

5. I will still come home with the same thing I left with, minus 2500$

Oh and where could I even go on such a low budget.

I have always wanted to see japan, but with that budget, half is gone after the plain round trip.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Get the motorcycle, how much are the monthly costs of owning it you think?
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I'd say if I drive it a lot, combined with insurance it would probably be around 100$ a month.

I was leaning that way my self, though my urge to eject my self from the us is making me desperate!

Sadly I'd be stuck with a 250cc or a 600cc+ depending on how good a deal I get, otherwise the bikes jump to the 8k range when it comes to price.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

A motorcycle is a big mistake. You live in commie-fornia. WAKE UP. Save your money and get out off this sinking ship. Your motorcycle/scooter can wait for when you're asia!

Andy lau should convince you :lol:

The drivers are horrible here. The roads are horrible. The cops are horrible. And the insurance is horrible. Riders get f***ed up the ass on insurance rates because motorcyclists always lose in court. They're seen as renegades or badboys, when most of the time it's just a youngman who wants to have a little fun in his life.

And if you hurt yourself in a crash, then you won't be able to keep saving up money and your dream of women abroad will be impossible..

Also, there is this: http://www.motorcyclecancer.com
A lot of long-time riders I know have had prostate cancer or something similar. All suffer at least temporary erectile dysfunction, even the 18/19 year olds.

Last of all don't knock 250 - 600 cc's. Only brainwashed, overcompensating Americans do that. 250 and 400cc's are beast, but we never got the good ones because of smog regulations, etc, or they're very hard to find because the market is full of overcompensating posers with more money than brains.

Only douchebags, yuppies and manginas trying to get laid buy Hayabusas and R1s as their first bike.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FMvlKyL ... re=related[/youtube]
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

You know, it isn't the 600cc I'm knocking, I just like the aesthetics more of the bigger bikes.

I'm happy to start on a 600cc I just wish I could find one at a reasonable price with good visuals.

as for the sinking ship that is the usa......I'm all for leaving it, but i can't leave on 2500$ alone, vacation money at best, I probably can get a weeks trip worth of expensive fun out of it.

Well unless I vagabond it, and buy cheep food from street vendors and sleep outside, and I would be willing to do that....but at one point....I'll have to come back without any means to survive financially.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Travel can be very expensive, and you're right: when it's over your money is gone, but you have the memories. I would buy the bike and travel down to Mexico and see the ladies down there. It's close by, you can get to it by bike, and your $2500 will go a LONG way in Mexico. And by long way I also mean being able to get to know that many more ladies, eat great food, stay in many different places, take a longer vacation. I'd be willing to bet that $2500 will allow you as much as 3 months time in Mexico if you don't go too crazy partying.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

odbo is fear mongering, if you know how to ride a bike (motorcycle) they are plenty safe and its easy to avoid the "idiots" that don't see you at first.

If it were me, I would travel you can always buy a bike. A former co-worker bought a R1 and laid it down after having it about three months. He fixed it, but drives his car when it rains. Last I heard he only rides it on weekends and during the summer.

Think's idea is pretty good. There some very attractive Mexican Women don't be fooled by what you see in various parts of California. Even in TJ, I've seen some smoking hot women...
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

odbo wrote:A motorcycle is a big mistake. You live in commie-fornia. WAKE UP. Save your money and get out off this sinking ship. Your motorcycle/scooter can wait for when you're asia!

Andy lau should convince you :lol:

The drivers are horrible here. The roads are horrible. The cops are horrible. And the insurance is horrible. Riders get f***ed up the ass on insurance rates because motorcyclists always lose in court. They're seen as renegades or badboys, when most of the time it's just a youngman who wants to have a little fun in his life.

And if you hurt yourself in a crash, then you won't be able to keep saving up money and your dream of women abroad will be impossible..

Also, there is this: http://www.motorcyclecancer.com
A lot of long-time riders I know have had prostate cancer or something similar. All suffer at least temporary erectile dysfunction, even the 18/19 year olds.

Last of all don't knock 250 - 600 cc's. Only brainwashed, overcompensating Americans do that. 250 and 400cc's are beast, but we never got the good ones because of smog regulations, etc, or they're very hard to find because the market is full of overcompensating posers with more money than brains.

Only douchebags, yuppies and manginas trying to get laid buy Hayabusas and R1s as their first bike.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FMvlKyL ... re=related[/youtube]
250cc is not enough bike, 1,000cc is too much bike and anything over that if your a novice is overkill. A guy I worked with bought a Ducati Monster and it was his first bike period. Never rode before, as far as I know he's never laid it down and is very safe rider.

I wouldn't get anything less than 600cc. You're tendency to upgrade to a more powerful bike will be muted a bit. With 250cc, as soon as your comfortable, you'll want to upgrade because you'll get tired of cars and trucks on the freeway buffeting you around. 250cc is lightweight, where the 600cc is heavier and better for freeway/highway use.

I want an Aprilia RSV4 Factory which is a direct copy of their World Superbike Competition Motorcycle. $21K but you know I would hardly ride it for fear of laying it down or getting stolen, would still buy it though - :D
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I'm not feeling the Mexican ladies at all, and with Mexico being fatter and fatter daily, I think I'll avoid that.

Partly why I thought about Philippines or Thailand, I know my money would go far!

Though I'd love to go to acquire a few firearms from mexico, but with fire arm laws slowly being taken away from my second amendments here in nazi-california I think I might be jailed.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the advice.

If I do the bike rout I'm going to stick to the 600cc to be honest I don't have the cash for a better bike anyway.

So conflicted!
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Sorry, but I don't think you can count all Mexicanas out. Don't conflate the illegal mestizas in the US with the Euro-Mexicans south of the border. Some of the most drop-dead gorgeous women I've ever met were Mexicanas from central Mexico, and they were anything but fat (and I don't dig fatties). The one lady was a bodybuilder and had abs like out of a workout video.

Check these out:

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en ... tnG=Search

Honestly, every woman is going to gain a little bit over the years no matter what. And so will you. If you want 90 lbs soaking wet until she's old and grey, then you're going to be limited to skinny Thai/Vietnamese/Indonesian girls with no figure. But maybe that's your thing. An ample bosom will offset a little meat around the midsection as the years go by, too.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Hit the nail on the head hahah...

I don't mind a little extra, and when i say that I mean a >LITTLE< extra.

but all the women that ever get me to literally look wile I walk past are almost always rail thin asian women.

its just what I like I guess, not that I've never seen a mexican girl with that build before, but mostly I've always seen asian women with that body type.

I'm not going to lie a 90lbs woman...just the thought of that turns me on....

As for my self putting on weight, I will DIE first, I used to be 300 lbs of pure fat ass. literally 287 recorded, but I'm sure I was 300lbs at one point.

burnt all that crap off to the point where my abs started showing, I got lean at around 160 mark, but I gained a little muscle and fat so I'm not quite as ripped.

I'm going to do my best to stay under 175 my entire life, unless I get a lot more muscle mass that is.

Fat is my sworn enemy, forever, probably one of the reasons I love women with almost none, but I'm realistic too
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

magnum wrote:I'm not feeling the Mexican ladies at all, and with Mexico being fatter and fatter daily, I think I'll avoid that.

Partly why I thought about Philippines or Thailand, I know my money would go far!

Though I'd love to go to acquire a few firearms from mexico, but with fire arm laws slowly being taken away from my second amendments here in nazi-california I think I might be jailed.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the advice.

If I do the bike rout I'm going to stick to the 600cc to be honest I don't have the cash for a better bike anyway.

So conflicted!
What? You just said you've never been out of California, how you going to assume there are seriously attractive and thin Latinas in Mexico? Unless you have "Yellow Fever" I think you're be disappointed with PI, the majority of women IMHO don't look that good. I have had several PI friends over the years and none of their mothers, sisters, aunts or whatever have impressed me. Nice people, but not attractive.

To each his own, but please do not speak from which you do not know. There are many HOT Mexicans you've never seen in California, especially in Mexico City.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Think Different wrote:Sorry, but I don't think you can count all Mexicanas out. Don't conflate the illegal mestizas in the US with the Euro-Mexicans south of the border. Some of the most drop-dead gorgeous women I've ever met were Mexicanas from central Mexico, and they were anything but fat (and I don't dig fatties). The one lady was a bodybuilder and had abs like out of a workout video.

Check these out:

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en ... tnG=Search

Honestly, every woman is going to gain a little bit over the years no matter what. And so will you. If you want 90 lbs soaking wet until she's old and grey, then you're going to be limited to skinny Thai/Vietnamese/Indonesian girls with no figure. But maybe that's your thing. An ample bosom will offset a little meat around the midsection as the years go by, too.
Correct you naturally gain weight as you age, not much you can do about it. Even if you don't change your diet radically and keep active, not really work out, you won't pick up a bunch of weight, that is if you started out thin and don't overeat which is not mentioned enough. Your stomach expands to hold the food every time you overeat.

Anyway, if he wants to chase around tiny and thin, but usually not that cute women in PI, let him.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

You got to do what you want.... But all I will say is at one point I wanted a sportbike, but unfortunately, I'm turned off from ever getting one because my best friend was killed on a sportbike at the age of 27. Some young kid hit him and he was killed instantly.

The bike itself is not necessarily dangerous, but it's the people who are driving the cars, they can hit you at anytime. And trust me, with all the women driving, and people text messaging/ taking on their phones, while driving, it's bound to happen.

If anything, if you really want the bike, just use it at the track or only ride with other bikers in a pack so you will be more safe.

You're in Ca right? You should be able to find a bunch of bikers to ride with in the Santa Ana Canyons....

One other tip, if you do get a bike, make sure you take it to an exhaust shop and have them modify the exhaust to make it LOUD (ie, D&D exhaust).

Yea, guys are telling you to start off with a 600, but I think it's a better idea to jump up to a 750 because it's LOUDER. Your bike needs to be LOUD which in turn makes it more safer for you to ride as people will here you either before you come, or they will at least know you're around even when you're in their bind spot.

EDIT:

Oh, and don't think you got it easy when cutting in traffic with a bike. All my buds who ride in CA told me when they cut through traffic they have to be careful because angry people open doors to prevent them from going by so they know kick the mirrors off those cars and one guy I knew carried steel balls to break their windows.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

My former coworker, riding through South America:
http://airborneandy.blogspot.com/