Are ACN/AMWAY/PRIMERICA total scams or legit businesses?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Are ACN/AMWAY/PRIMERICA total scams or legit businesses?

Post by philosophical_filipino »

Personally, I think it's a waste of time and money. Why the hell do I have to pay them $500? A job should be paying YOU.

Anyone have any experience in ACN/AMWAY businesses? Is it legit or scam?
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
BigDug
Freshman Poster

Post by BigDug »

These types of business ventures were successful for a few people that got started before the internet age. But honestly, the internet changed everything. Who would buy this overpriced crap when the world's retail items are at your fingertips for cheaper?

This type of business ruins friendships because instead of a friend, you become a peddler trying to get them all involved because involving a network of people is the only way to succeed.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

They're pyramid schemes and offer low-quality products. Stay away. No legitimate job would ask you to dump that kind of money into it at the outset, just to "get on board". Stay away. As the previous poster stated, do you really want to pimp low-quality crap to your neighbors and friends and risk your friendships?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I wrote an essay debunking MLM's and explaining why they are doomed to fail. You can see it here:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/MLM.htm

Also see Robert Fitzpatrick's "False Profits".

http://www.falseprofits.com
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Are ACN/AMWAY/PRIMERICA total scams or legit businesses?

Post by MrMan »

I know a young woman who signed up with PrimAmerica a few months ago. I wasn't interested in her product since it was not as good a deal as what I had. She seemed a lot more focus on the importance of just having some insurance as opposed to whether her product was particularly good.

Someone, and I cannot even remember who, commented on PrimAmerica. He said it's a good business because their agents sell something people need to people who probably would not have bought it otherway... but their products are not the best products for the money. I can understand that perspective. The deal on insurance might not be the best, but people who buy it ___might___ be better off if they aren't investing in anything else.

You can look at the cost to get started is the cost of starting a (very) small business. Jobs don't usually cost you money... not much at least... to get started. But even then you pay for transportation and maybe some clothing if it is required, and possibly tools. It does usually cost money to go into a small business.

MLMs can work if you are able to recruit people and train them to recruit people, if the compensation program is good, and the whole system-- products, distribution, etc. are good. But you can put a lot of time and even money into trying to get the reproducible system off the ground without every making it. Some people are able to do it. Most fail. An advantage is the part you have to do is really limited, selling, training, and social interaction. If you take the same money and effort and you are able to figure out how to run a whole small business, you could probably make a lot more money a lot faster off of your time and money, depending on what you do.
Last edited by MrMan on July 14th, 2019, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.