Living in Vancouver for a few months

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Living in Vancouver for a few months

Post by ryanx »

This is for anyone who lives or has lived in Vancouver, Canada - or is just knowledgeable about it

I am thinking of moving to Vancouver from Taiwan, where I have been staying for the past three years teaching English.

I am originally from Britain, but I immigrated to Canada (now a Canadian Citizen) about 7 years ago and lived there for four and then Taiwan. I have lived in Toronto and Calgary. Toronto was kind of cool, cosmopolitan and mixed which made it bearable...but I absolutely hated Calgary!

Anyways, to cut a long story short, I am in desperate need of a break of a few months from the heat and general backwardness, lawlessness and crazy roads of Asia - but I will so terribly miss the girls!

I thought Vancouver would provide that relief...I just need to live in civilization for a while, before heading back to Asia.

I have been teaching ESL in Canada and Taiwan for about 6 years - so lots of experience and from my understanding of the ESL scene in Vancouver I should be able to find a job or two to finance my recovery period lol!

Any thoughts about living in Vancouver, cost of living, accommodation etc etc also ease of finding some suitable accommodation (in Calgary it was a nightmare). Just for your info I am around fifty.

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can offer.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Re: Living in Vancouver for a few months

Post by E_Irizarry »

ryanx wrote:This is for anyone who lives or has lived in Vancouver, Canada - or is just knowledgeable about it

I am thinking of moving to Vancouver from Taiwan, where I have been staying for the past three years teaching English.

I am originally from Britain, but I immigrated to Canada (now a Canadian Citizen) about 7 years ago and lived there for four and then Taiwan. I have lived in Toronto and Calgary. Toronto was kind of cool, cosmopolitan and mixed which made it bearable...but I absolutely hated Calgary!

Anyways, to cut a long story short, I am in desperate need of a break of a few months from the heat and general backwardness, lawlessness and crazy roads of Asia - but I will so terribly miss the girls!

I thought Vancouver would provide that relief...I just need to live in civilization for a while, before heading back to Asia.

I have been teaching ESL in Canada and Taiwan for about 6 years - so lots of experience and from my understanding of the ESL scene in Vancouver I should be able to find a job or two to finance my recovery period lol!

Any thoughts about living in Vancouver, cost of living, accommodation etc etc also ease of finding some suitable accommodation (in Calgary it was a nightmare). Just for your info I am around fifty.

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can offer.
Yeah there is a great FM/FW population in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada. When I was there 6 years ago, there were almost no signs in English in that city. But the Azns there seemed mad cool, and there was a plethora of Azn Internet cafes there.
So they should be a great part of your ESL teaching base. Go there and find out where you can teach ESL. I don't see it being too much of a problem for you. Try to check out indeed.ca first (The Canadian version of Indeed). Put in the query of "ESL Vancouver job" or something
to that sort okay?? Good luck.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!