Want to ask for advice on how to leave the USA...

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.

Post by Guest »

I am a new member of this forum. Powerpeecee, if I were you I would listen to Dr. Strangelove's advice, he know's what he's talking about.

Do you really think you can go to a foreign country country--much less a developing, poor nation--with no education or marketable skilling, and almost zero money and think you can make a "go" of it?

Even moving to an industrialized wealthy foreign country it is extremely difficult to live for a duration without a college education and/or a consistent revenue stream. Of course one exception would be if your father or best friend owned a company in Germany or Poland,(wherever) and he helped you obtain a work visa therebye giving you gainful employment. Without this scenerio, and with your current credentials, it's almost impossible.

And why would you want to work on a cruise ship? By proxy you wouldn't even be living in another country, but just working and serving the same kind of people you want to get away from---fat spoiled Americans. What's the point?

And don't have any illusions about moving to a third-world country like the Philippines unless you can provide for yourself. Keep in mind most of these "third world countries" are full of college educated adults that can barely put food on the table. Do you really think as a foreigner with no degree or marketable skills you'll be able to compete with them on their turf?

If you're really serious about living in a foreign country listen to Dr. Strangelove and go back to college. Better your skills and make yourself marketable in this global economy.

I hope this helps. And i'm not a "flamer", unless flaming means to tell the truth.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Dr. Strangelove
Freshman Poster

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Powerpeecee,
I've got an idea for you. You've got or are about to get $1500 on hand, yes? Here's one route than CAN work, if you're willing to do it: get a recognized certification to teach English as a foreign language. It will probably cost a little more than $1500, but not much more. Go to Dave's ESL cafe at http://www.eslcafe.com for all the info and discussion you'll need to get started. With that, you've got a ticket to go almost anywhere in the world. Just be careful about where you go. Some places are better than others, as in safer and more interesting.

I'll save you some time with some basic information. Of course, check it out for yourself in the discussions there with hundreds of people around the world who are already doing it.

First, as mentioned above, be sure to get a recognized certification. That would be TESL (also called TESOL) or CELTA. Those include classroom instruction and classroom teaching experience. Do NOT go for an online certification. Those don't include classroom teaching experience, and are not as useful or accepted as TESL and CELTA. TESL and CELTA are internationally recognized standards for certification. Everything else is second-best, and you'll get job offers accordingly. Most reputable employers require TESL or CELTA. A college degree isn't necessary, but solid certification is. Don't cut corners on that.

Be sure to go through the discussion threads about employers. You'll find good information about who to work for and who to avoid. There are plenty of good employers available. If you get a CELTA from International House, for example, they have offices all over the world and job openings listed. Same with TESL. Typically, an employer will pay round-trip airfare for a one-year teaching contract. They also provide housing. You'll get enough salary to live comfortably by local standards.

That's about the only way to get out and live abroad in the near future with the resources you have on hand now. If this is not appealing for you, maybe it will be for someone else.

Update:
I see from the first few posts in this thread that you already considered English teaching but don't find it interesting for you. In that case, you're going to have to map out your goal, and then the path to get there. Management by objectives. Set your objective, clearly. Then figure out what must be done to get from here to there. See previous advice, aside from the English teaching route.
I_PatriaTexefor_efl
Freshman Poster

BUSTIN' Out of the U.S.A.

Post by I_PatriaTexefor_efl »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Earth to PowerPeeCee
John:

We should take a closer look at your particular situation to get some idea as to whether you ought to leave the U.S. or not......

Your present financial situation would ONLY allow you to purchase an airplane ticket to where you might want to go. In other words, you have NO other funds available.

In your later posting, you stated you have $1500 due in no small part to the receipt of a Government check (SSI, right?) I cannot believe that Winston would advise you to "just go for it."

You really need to go for a Very Serious Reality Check, Mr. PowerPeeCee!!

Your main Post-Secondary educational qualification is some-sort of one year Computer Technician certification. You don't even have an Associate Degree?!?! :?

You also bring a very questionable skill set to the table as well. You yourself stated you're not much interested in teaching, which is how many get started when they leave the US for the first time. This is not a lightweight issue and I cannot again believe Winston would tell you that $1500 is doable. Well, I suppose $1500 is a financial war chest as opposed to the $600 that Wienie's spiritual idol, Kinga started with.

Let it be said that you are seriously lacking in both direction and focus. How old are you, anyway?? Are you in Winston's Primary Idiot Demographic?? I'm guessing that might be the case with you.

At this time, I'd really recommend you seriously build your skills and focus before even giving ANY thought to leaving the USA.

I_PatriaTexefor_efl
The reply from PowerPeeCee:
*blink* :?
So you're saying I have to suffer through years and years of school before I can hope to accomplish anything, in your Conformist, Careerist mindset nothing is possible without being part of the system.

No thanks.

What is it with the flamers?

I ask for help and all I get is "OLOLOL YOU Suck!"

I work to live, not live to work.

take a hike and don't come back if all you can do is feed me that gotta go to school stuff.

Take your careerism somewhere else.

Now, does _anyone_ have anything constructive to say or are you all bastards? I'm getting tired of this.
PPC,
Going to school isn't careerism, for starters.

But let's get more to the point here. Winston advised you to go for it with $1500 and then, what? How are you going to live after you arrive in a foreign country? What will you do for income?

Winston, who it seems you're accepting as Guru, gets money from his papa. Winston is also nuts, not to mention extremely dishonest. This is NOT a flame against Winston. It is a warning for those who would blindly believe him and follow his advice. Did you know that Winston's first posts on the Internet, about seven years ago, were about his emergence from treatment for schizophrenia to an attempt at something like a normal life? Do you know anything about that? Ask him yourself, on this forum, if you wish, and see what he has to say about it.

It's easy for him to pass advice to you to "go for it" on the basis on what you have to work with, $1500. What he fails to note, because it isn't part of his cocoon, is that such advice is bogus and will not and cannot work. It didn't and doesn't work for him. He gets a little money selling bogus "advice", but most of it comes from his papa, from mental disability payments from US taxpayers (including girls who won't have anything to do with him), and would-be friends such as Stefan. Stefan really tried to help Winston, and you see what happened there. Now Winston trashes Stefan whilst claiming that Stefan is the bad guy. Never mind that Stefan PAID for Winston to get to the Philippines to start with, and got him started enough to have his own room, at least -- not a cheap ticket, overall. Several thousand dollars. What did Stefan get? Trashed, by Winston. Stefan also offered Winston gainful employment -- which Winston spat on because Winston is mentally incapacitated (schizophrenia, according to his own accounts) and CANNOT function in a normal job.

So, are we all bastards for bringing these things up? For giving information that maybe you don't want to hear? Simply: Winston is mentally ill, by his own admission and history he himself posted on the web years ago. You don't know about that part, do you? He will use you, lie to you, lie about you, anything at all, to make a dollar and get away with with it. He will give you bad advice, such as "go for it" if you have only $1500, and never tell you that DOES NOT work, never go into the part that it is mostly his dad's money and bailouts again and again that keeps Winston going. "So what if my parents give me money from time to time" or something like that he wrote in another thread least week. Well, "so what" is all the difference in the world. He cannot live by the advice he offers/tries to sell you and others, and remotely mentions and admits his parents (mainly his dad) pays his expenses. That is, where Winston can't sucker somebody like Stefan to foot his expenses, then trash them if they get fed up and try to stop. Which is EXACTLY what happened with Stefan.

FWIW, I'm not a conformist myself, nor am I career-minded. What I AM is a US expatriate (educated) who has lived in eastern Europe for most of the past decade. I have no interest or intention of returning to the US under ANY circumstances, and on that point of alienation from my home country and all the negatives I've come to despise, I agree with Winston entirely. But his advice on getting out and making the shift is bogus bullshit. Using people, lying about hidden resources from family, all the while pretending to be able to make it on his own and suggesting he can help you do the same whilst hiding or bullshitting the MOST pertinent, relevant facts, is devious, dishonest. I make an honest living, and no, I can't tell you how to do that if you're not willing to at least prepare yourself for a life abroad. That means either education to make yourself useful enough to derive income wherever you decide to go; or, have enough cash on hand so that income is not necessary. Where you are now, with no marketable skills or knowledge, $1500 cash, is not enough to make the transition. Either get more education, more money, or both. And do NOT make the mistake of thinking that doing either or both of those equates to conformism or careerism. They DO equate to sufficient maturity and understanding of basic reality in this world to be able to begin to tailor your own world and life as you wish.

I sincerely wish you you the very best in your quest to escape the US for a better life abroad.
John:

PLEASE kindly understand that I am in no way saying you suck nor am I in ANY way putting you down!! Your particular situation was only being objectively evaluated without rose-colored glasses. Does this make me a son-of-a-bitch for saying so??

GMM567 says that $1500 may well be enough for two or so months, which really speaks some serious volumes I won't go into at this time. NOW, let me pose the following questions: What happens after the two month period? What will you do IF it takes more time to get a job? How will you pay for your continued living expenses? HOW will you even get back home?? Mind you, these are only preliminary questions.

Let us not even consider Winston's advice as he does not even come close to LIVING UP TO ANY of the advice he freely dispenses to others on a lark. He's siphoned at least $15000 out of his enabling father within the past year. Would YOU really even give a thought

THERE ARE MANY ways to gain additional education that are quite cost effective. For example, you may want to consider obtaining an Undergraduate Degree through Distance Education. You will be under the guidance of a Conselor/Advisor who will work with you so as to keep you moving forward. Of note, the financing is quite flexible as well.

FTR(For the record), I am also not some ass-licking conformist myself!! I have also seen the destructive stresses of people who work 60++ hours per week to maintain the 'Keeping up with The Joneses' facade. Yeah, I ain't none too interested in some BS Corporate Career Ladder. What I AM is an American who has lived outside of the U.S. for nearly 11 years!! Like Doc Strangelove, I have less than NO desire to return/live/work in the U.S. at all. Further, I shudder at what will happen once Hillary manages to con her way into office. Indeed, I digress...... 8) You know, I agree with Winston a LOT on the topic of alienation, isolation, and all the phony bravado he speakes of in the U.S. HEY, I make an honest and legit living in a respected profession. Additionally, I pay my own way and am actively managing my financial affairs quite well.

Self-investment will be but the first step for you on what could be a great global adventure. Take the time and focus upon yourself and your own strengths. Build up and eliminate your weaknesses as well. Talk to people who have actually left the U.S.A. and have made it on their own......

You can make the transition only if you are willing to take the steps. I wish you nothing but Open Road and GodSpeed in your desire to Bust Out of the U.S.

I_PatriaTexefor_efl
OJ Simpson got away with murder, but he couldn't outrun KARMA.................
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

Well obviously, you buy a round trip ticket. And the option to stay there past 2 months is something you'll do if you 1)decide you like it there 2) you can get a job.

Honestly, why does this have to be spelled out when it's just common sense.
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

I know a couple of guys who live out of the US.
One guy lives in Ukraine. He original went to Russia on a Mormon mission.
There he crammed learning Russian for 2 years. Tired of the Morman BS he struck out on his own.
It was tough at first but he got his Russian down to near native and can easily get a job anytime as a translator for at least 15 bucks or more an hour. Because it is very rare to find some who can speak both languages so well in Ukraine it is super easy form him to find work. And because he lives like an average Ukrainian he only needs a few month work a year.

Right now you could get a job as a English teacher in China and make more money than the average Chinese person and get laid as much as you want. I know of guys the literally have a different girl every day doing this job. With not to much money and minimal skill you can do this. Olympic fever is very high right now in China, it is a very big deal there. At this moment the China option is the quickest and easiest way that I know of.

There was this guy in my Chinese class that was going to do this, this guy well he was not playing with a full deck. He had a masters in education. He would argue with the instructor saying she was going to fast etc. The guy was a moron and just not all there. I told him he should be glad she is pushing us as you are going to be in China in three months and guess what you going to need to speak Chinese. After he was in China for a few months he wrote this girl in class and complained “they all speak Chinese here and it is hard to understand them.� Anyways it is an easy option as you have little resources.

When meet an American guy in Cebu who was studying to be a doctor. I have heard of guys doing this in South America as well as India which has very good schools. He was going to USC but the cost was too much. He said they push you harder in Cebu. He said it was an extremely demanding school work more so than USC. Want to be a Doc? There are affordable options available to you if you think outside the box.

There are so so many options. You could work in Iraq. I almost did but a girlfriend at the time was dead against it. first 80K tax free. I could have made 250 a year easily at the time.

Yes you need some skill to make money anywhere you go. A Jewish guy told me the reasons tend to pick jobs like doctors and lawyers is they are skills that are needed anywhere you go in the world.
Getting high and F-ing your girlfriend is not a skill. You wont regret getting a useful skill. And yes you have the whole world before you.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

sand1234 wrote:I am a new member of this forum. Powerpeecee, if I were you I would listen to Dr. Strangelove's advice, he know's what he's talking about.

Do you really think you can go to a foreign country country--much less a developing, poor nation--with no education or marketable skilling, and almost zero money and think you can make a "go" of it?

Even moving to an industrialized wealthy foreign country it is extremely difficult to live for a duration without a college education and/or a consistent revenue stream. Of course one exception would be if your father or best friend owned a company in Germany or Poland,(wherever) and he helped you obtain a work visa therebye giving you gainful employment. Without this scenerio, and with your current credentials, it's almost impossible.

And why would you want to work on a cruise ship? By proxy you wouldn't even be living in another country, but just working and serving the same kind of people you want to get away from---fat spoiled Americans. What's the point?

And don't have any illusions about moving to a third-world country like the Philippines unless you can provide for yourself. Keep in mind most of these "third world countries" are full of college educated adults that can barely put food on the table. Do you really think as a foreigner with no degree or marketable skills you'll be able to compete with them on their turf?

If you're really serious about living in a foreign country listen to Dr. Strangelove and go back to college. Better your skills and make yourself marketable in this global economy.

I hope this helps. And i'm not a "flamer", unless flaming means to tell the truth.
W: This might be sound practical advice. But it's very pessimistic and not really true. I know plenty of people with little money and education who got jobs overseas. Where there's a will, there's a way. And miracles do happen, even when you're at the end of the rope. Look online or ask around among travelers, there are many inspirational stories that defy the odds.

Like I said, God never closes my doors without opening others. You have to have faith, do your best, and leave the rest up to the universe. That simple but profound advice DOES WORK. I've experienced it, and known many others who have as well.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

W: Dr. Strangelove, you can't really be a psychiatrist or even a good efficient person if you can't read or listen when I tell you and the wooweasel members something a million times!!!!!!!!!

I NEVER HAD SCHIZOPHRENIA. It was a misdiagnosis. Every link above that you posted mentions that. But for some reason, YOU still WANT to believe it. It's annoying. An intelligent open minded adult who listens to reason wouldn't keep bringing it up. How many times do I have to explain it to you?

Back in the 80's, everything that psychiatrists couldn't understand was labeled as schizophrenia. They made mistakes. I had no communication skills at the time anyway. So how could they properly diagnose me? I was merely a control freak escaping depression with some OCD tendencies.

Can you please lay this false subject to rest? Why are you acting like we are in a political campaign?

I unbanned you from this forum, by the way, since you have offered some good useful information on the forum, and sent a notification to your email.

If you want to stay on, stop the pointless bashing please.

PS - Here's a challenge for you. Look up the criteria for schizophrenia and post them here. That will teach you something. If you knew anything about the symptoms of that mental illness, you'd know that I have NONE of the symptoms of it. So why you keep repeating the lie?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Stefan really tried to help Winston, and you see what happened there. Now Winston trashes Stefan whilst claiming that Stefan is the bad guy. Never mind that Stefan PAID for Winston to get to the Philippines to start with, and got him started enough to have his own room, at least -- not a cheap ticket, overall. Several thousand dollars. What did Stefan get? Trashed, by Winston. Stefan also offered Winston gainful employment -- which Winston spat on because Winston is mentally incapacitated (schizophrenia, according to his own accounts) and CANNOT function in a normal job.
W: Dr. Strangelove, if you are really a sociologist or psychologist, then you must show at least some objectivity, wouldn't you agree?

FYI, Stefan never gave me regular employment. He just gave me a few occassional odd jobs. That was his fault. He renegged on that promise. Not my fault. I've never had an employer hire me and then not give me any work.

Besides, you can't use him as a source against me, since he has less than amicable FALL OUT with practically EVERYONE who has ever worked for him. EVERYONE. That right there disqualifies him as a source. Plus he hates everyone and everything and is proud of his negativity.

Remember this damaging letter about him from one of his workers that I recently got?

"Hey Winston, this is ********, remember me from up at Gov before you and Stefan left for the Philippines? We have not talked since you left, but you would likely be very interested to know some of the things that have happened between me and Stefan and some other workers. If anything so that you know just how off-the-rocker he is. He essentially stole 10,000 from me, in the form of wages promised but never paid (this is heavily documented) needless to say I am no longer working for him, and a new worker Mikey and him are possibly embroiled in a legal battle over trivial circumstances. My honest opinion is that he is unstable and possibly not even safe to be around, let alone do business with, I curse my poor judgement in ever trusting him.

Hope all is well with you!"

W: And this is coming from a guy who is very mellow, easygoing, nonconfrontational, who would usually never say anything bad about anyone! Doesn't that say a lot?

Dr. Strangelove, can you even show the slightest amount of objectivity here?

PS - For your education, let me tell you that one of the symptoms of schizophrenia is uttering incoherent thoughts and sentences that make no sense. Look it up online at any credible source. I never had those symptoms. My sentences have always been coherent, as well as my thoughts. And I could always play a solid logical game of chess. I never lost my rationality.

So drop it doc.
DarkTalay
Freshman Poster

Get Busy!

Post by DarkTalay »

Power,

I was in the same situation as you were.
I can only advise you to make a hard decision, stick to it and make definite plans.

Join a few expat’s boards and see what they have to say and deal with.

Fly overseas to Europe or Asia after doing your research.

While you are there get to know the expats living there and ask them how they did it.

Teaching English as a second language is one option for a native English speaker to make a living.
A qualified man can make a good salary in Korea, Vietnam, Japan and Eastern Europe.

Research the TEFL schools Stateside or better yet overseas!

BTW, avoid what the mainstream travel guides have to say especially “Lonely Planet� and “Rough Guide�!
They are very
PC and biased against single heterosexual males abroad.
They are full of disinformation and inaccurate, read this article about a former “LP� author who admitted he made up a lot of his writings!

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 05,00.html

Stop dreaming and start doing the hard work needed to escape!

You’ll be “kicking it� in Brazil or Thailand or Europe with a sexy sweet young girl who caters to your wishes next year if you work for it!

DarkTalay

DarkTalay
Freshman Poster

What the ...?

Post by DarkTalay »

Guys,

What gives?
On a forum topic on how to leave the country I’ve gotten no responses, no private messages and no enquiries to my post on living abroad successfully!
I am now happily living in Thailand with more female
attention and affection than I can handle.
It’s been several weeks; doesn’t any man have any curiosity or drive to find out if he can do the same?

This is not the first time; on other boards I’ve encountered the same apathy.

IMHO, most American men have been spiritually castrated into being “girly-men� with no boldness, inquisitiveness or will to explore a possible escape to a potentially happier life abroad.

Sincerely,

Dark
:roll: :roll:
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What the ...?

Post by momopi »

DarkTalay wrote:Guys,

What gives?
On a forum topic on how to leave the country I’ve gotten no responses, no private messages and no enquiries to my post on living abroad successfully!
I am now happily living in Thailand with more female
attention and affection than I can handle.
It’s been several weeks; doesn’t any man have any curiosity or drive to find out if he can do the same?

This is not the first time; on other boards I’ve encountered the same apathy.

IMHO, most American men have been spiritually castrated into being “girly-men� with no boldness, inquisitiveness or will to explore a possible escape to a potentially happier life abroad.

Sincerely,

Dark
:roll: :roll:

I'm sure we're interested. Tell us how you did it!

Are you teaching English in Thailand?
DarkTalay
Freshman Poster

Escape from Alcatraz!

Post by DarkTalay »

Guys,

“ Momopi� asked:

I'm sure we're interested. Tell us how you did it!

Are you teaching English in Thailand?

I teach English here in LOS (Land of Smiles), it doesn’t pay much but the cost of
living is much lower than the States.

I managed to buy a beachfront condo in Pattaya on the Eastern Seaboard.

The first thing a potential expatriate must do to make a successful escape is to commit
and make a choice on actively exploring the notion of leaving one’s homeland.
He must commit to make as many field trips as he can to check out the country desired.
He must cease merely dreaming about living abroad immediately as that encourages procrastination.
He will instead visualize himself actually working, living and playing in the chosen country.
He will read all books on how to successfully expatriate.
He will research on the chosen country, learn something about the culture, history and
some of the language.

Once he is there he will connect with the expatriates already living there via the many expat clubs.
He will ask hard questions about the reality and ins and outs of living there and finding
work.
He will visit the local realty companies to check out condos and houses.
After he does all of this if he still is motivated he will make a decision and stick to it.

Everything he does from now on will support his expatriating.

He will get rid of that fancy car with its expensive monthly payments.
He will move out of that fancy apartment and into a trailer park to save money
or convert his property into a source of income.
He will cease useless hobbies that are a financial drain such as playing the horses or
going to lap-dance clubs.
So what if your family and friends raise their eyebrows, you are busy
engineering your escape to a better life.
He will make financial arrangements with his accountant for overseas
communication and tax returns.
He will start disposing of accumulated junk in his life that’s served its purpose but is
now a drag on his life.
Junk such as comic book collections, old love letters for exe’s, bowling trophies, etc.
He should be down to a suitcase and a carry-on by the time he departs.
He will set a firm date for moving out, if he doesn’t he will find more excuses for
inaction and never commit.
He will be very discreet about his plans to casual acquaintances especially Western women especially if he plans to move to Thailand.
He will find that doubters, mostly female will come out and try to discourage you.

They will cast doubt on your manhood ( “What’s wrong, are you threatened by strong
American women?�).
They will tell your half-truths about moving abroad ( “it’s dangerous, you’ll be
back in a month.�).

Do not depend on mainstream travel guide for information relevant to expatriating.
They are written for back-packers, wealthy couples, women, Gays and Lesbians.

“Lonely Planet� is very slanted against the single heterosexual male tourist and
is not to be depended upon..
On-line forums such as http://www.pattayasecrets.com are better and have less disinformation.

Putting up pictures of the country’s landmarks and post-it notes on bathroom mirrors
with encouraging phrases is helpful.

I have strong doubts that any of this is going to be listened to much less act upon.

Few Americans even have passports.
Most men are used to being wage-slaves and will block out any information or advice
from friends about becoming an expatriate.
Most will just read this, shake their heads, and declare that it’s a hopeless dream and return
to working at a soulless job with a miserable commute and a rancid nationwide dating
environment.
Thousand of expats live abroad, why not you?

DarkTalay

:roll: 8) 8)
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Good post.

I've tried to simplify my expenditures over the past month. Less trips to expensive restaurants, less books and less video games. Strangely enough, I rather like throwing out old junk. I prefer to have as few possesions as possible.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I've been through about half a dozen countries in Asia, but have yet to visit Thailand. The closest I've been to is Malaysia.

Sounds like I need to visit Thailand some time. :)
DarkTalay
Freshman Poster

LOS

Post by DarkTalay »

Guys,

Momi said:
I've been through about half a dozen countries in Asia, but have yet to visit Thailand. The closest I've been to is Malaysia.

Sounds like I need to visit Thailand some time.

Thailand is different from Malaysia.
Malaysia is mostly Muslim, Thailand is mostly Buddhist.

My itinerary would be to spend a couple of days in Bangkok.

Bangkok is crowded, dirty and polluted but is incredibly

alive, dynamic, fun and fascinating.

Then I'd go up-country to Chiang Mai and see the Golden Triangle.

Perhaps a side trip to the Isaan region to see Khorat and then down to the
resort of Pattaya.

That will give you a generally good idea of what Thailand is like.

Dark