Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Do other members feel disconnected from their families?

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby adann » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 am

My parents were at first against my decision to go abroad but after a while they came around and realized that they should support me if I'm happy. So it's all good here :)
adann
Freshman Poster

Re: Do other members feel disconnected from their families?

Postby PeterAndrewNolan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Will,
I have turned my back on all family members as they chose to support criminal abuse of my children and myself and the abuse of my elderly and ill mother.

I can have no respect for any person who condones criminal acts. And I certainly will not show any respect for any person who condoned the abuse of my mother.

Abusing a mans mother when she has been a great mother all her life is not ok. I think most men agree with that.
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Postby PeterAndrewNolan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Winston wrote:Most people are sheep and zombies. So what do you expect? Only a small minority think for themselves and tell it like it is.

Winston,
this is why I have admired your work for some time.
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Postby Tadow » Sun May 20, 2012 3:17 am

I can't relate to my family. I don't care about anything they care about. I can't have deep discussions or even intelligent discussions without somebody bringing Jesus up or without getting sidetracked by some BS. I don't feel the need to tell them my business nor impress them. So it's whatever.
Tadow
Freshman Poster

Postby Jacaré » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:50 am

I also have a hard time relating to people here, not only my immediate family but also extended family and people in general. I am also in the process of preparing my move from Canada to Asia. The more time I spend outside of Canada, the more I realize that each day spent in Canada is a day of life wasted....can't wait for that glorious to day to come fast enough!
Jacaré
Freshman Poster

Postby Will N. Dowd » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:08 am

Has anyone actually been disowned or ignored by their family for going abroad and/or becoming a sexpat? What happened when you went abroad for a long time and then came back home to stay with your family? How was it to be back again after being HA for a long time?
Will N. Dowd
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Well I'm not exactly having a sexpat lifestyle here in China. But it's gonna be so strange when I return to the UK in July (after around 5 months away). To say the culture shock will be massive is an understatement.

I'm still searching for some kind of identity here in Asia, but I think I'll be away from the UK for a year or two at least.

Returning to any sort of cubicle slave job in the UK will be hard after this adventure. But at least I've done something incredible in my life.

I'm glad I left when I did as far as the UK weather is concerned - it's been 5C or below pretty much all the time I've been away.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Will N. Dowd » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 pm

I have a new FB page created with the same user name and avatar I use here on HA. If you would like to be friends and follow me there, please PM me and I'll add you there.
Will N. Dowd
Freshman Poster

Postby Mr S » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Pretty much I'm almost completely ignored by my family, it's been steadily getting worse over the years and has hit a new row recently since pissing off my Alpha spinster sister. Basically, I have to initiate any communication and even when I do it is very robotic and unnatural. Being a freethinker who has escaped the contradicting paradigms of the Western world while being able to eek out a living overseas for almost 10 years now has perplexed members of my family who are still well intrenched in the matrix lie that is the West. I haven't participated in holidays or birthdays since high school graduation and entering the Navy. I felt this was a good time to detach myself with the excuse of not being around and underway all the time. Eventually my family got used to it and don't expect me to participate in all the fake consumerism that they are still forced to endure.

I'm pretty sure the next hurdle will be how I deal with the diminishing health of my parents and whether I deserve anything from their wills when they die due to family members perceived non-participation in various family matters. If I do get left something I have no doubt my sister will attempt to contest it and make things difficult for me. Essentially, I will almost have no family once my parents are dead. I will for the most part lose contact with all other relatives, I don't want anything to do with my insane sister so unless I find myself in a significant relationship in the future and I feel comfortable being in their lives, I'll most likely be a lone wolf up against the world. I predict this all coming to fruition within the next 10 years or so give or take.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby Jackal » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Yes, I am disconnected from most of my family members--but not because of moving abroad. This is the simply the way it's always been, so there's no point for me to live near them.

It's cold in Hungary now. Spring was coming, but then BAM! a bunch of cold air came and now it's around 0 Celsius. Maybe in a month, it will start getting warmer again...
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 am

Resigned to the fact that it's so hard for a guy (or woman) to marry a non-EU foreigner and bring them back to the UK now that if I find a Chinese wife it would be a lot easier for us to live in China.

The only satisfaction I have now is that I'm no longer a UK taxpayer so I'm not paying the pensions or unemployment benefits for everyone who voted in this law change.

Still I'd rather live in an up and coming country than witness the continual decline of a once great nation.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Questions and Advice