Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


No one wants to hire me for being Asian! (English teaching)

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

No one wants to hire me for being Asian! (English teaching)

Postby zboy1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:31 pm

Since the start of May, I've applied to more than 150 job listings and to numerous job placement agencies , and I have only received one job offer back! Unfortunately, the one reply back I was rejected in the end. All of these places require a photo picture be sent. I'm Korean American, and my qualifications are as follows: bachelors degree in Business and I have 100 hour TESOL online teaching certificate. I have a clean criminal background check, and no police record I can think of. I'm not a drug use, I'm a American citizen, and I have no tattoos. I'm 5'11, considered above average looking, and 200 pounds. I'm also a military veteran, and have 10 years plus in the medical industry. So, why am I being rejected when I see Caucasians with lesser qualifications being accepted for teaching positions, and I'm not??????????

It's very frustrating to be honest. I don't know where I can turn to for help. Can anyone here recommend a particular agency or know someone that is currently hiring Gyopo's (Korean Americans). Thanks.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4444
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am







Postby All_That_Is_Man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:55 pm

I can't help you there. But times like these are why I turned to starting and building my own business. You have a BA in Business which should significantly put you ahead of the curb.
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 am

Re: No one wants to hire me for being Asian! (English teachi

Postby E_Irizarry » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:43 am

zboy1 wrote:Since the start of May, I've applied to more than 150 job listings and to numerous job placement agencies , and I have only received one job offer back! Unfortunately, the one reply back I was rejected in the end. All of these places require a photo picture be sent. I'm Korean American, and my qualifications are as follows: bachelors degree in Business and I have 100 hour TESOL online teaching certificate. I have a clean criminal background check, and no police record I can think of. I'm not a drug use, I'm a American citizen, and I have no tattoos. I'm 5'11, considered above average looking, and 200 pounds. I'm also a military veteran, and have 10 years plus in the medical industry. So, why am I being rejected when I see Caucasians with lesser qualifications being accepted for teaching positions, and I'm not??????????

It's very frustrating to be honest. I don't know where I can turn to for help. Can anyone here recommend a particular agency or know someone that is currently hiring Gyopo's (Korean Americans). Thanks.

..because that's all they want to teach them English. You would need to apply to schools outside of Asia because Asians, especially Koreans, are the most self-hating-wanna-be-WASPs I have ever seen and want Whites with a BA or more to teach English.

You'd be better off teaching in Sao Paulo, BR where there's a big Japanese population there (you aren't JP, but you are Azn like they are - similar phenotypes).
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Re: No one wants to hire me for being Asian! (English teachi

Postby zboy1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:49 am

E_Irizarry wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Since the start of May, I've applied to more than 150 job listings and to numerous job placement agencies , and I have only received one job offer back! Unfortunately, the one reply back I was rejected in the end. All of these places require a photo picture be sent. I'm Korean American, and my qualifications are as follows: bachelors degree in Business and I have 100 hour TESOL online teaching certificate. I have a clean criminal background check, and no police record I can think of. I'm not a drug use, I'm a American citizen, and I have no tattoos. I'm 5'11, considered above average looking, and 200 pounds. I'm also a military veteran, and have 10 years plus in the medical industry. So, why am I being rejected when I see Caucasians with lesser qualifications being accepted for teaching positions, and I'm not??????????

It's very frustrating to be honest. I don't know where I can turn to for help. Can anyone here recommend a particular agency or know someone that is currently hiring Gyopo's (Korean Americans). Thanks.

..because that's all they want to teach them English. You would need to apply to schools outside of Asia because Asians, especially Koreans, are the most self-hating-wanna-be-WASPs I have ever seen and want Whites with a BA or more to teach English.

You'd be better off teaching in Sao Paulo, BR where there's a big Japanese population there (you aren't JP, but you are Azn like they are - similar phenotypes).


I've applied all over Asia and yet, no job offers. It's sad to know how self-hating Asians can be. Maybe, I'll have better luck outside of Asia, as you mentioned, E_Irizzary.

Is there a big demand for English teachers down there? I think expanding my horizons besides Asia is the best course of action to take.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4444
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby chanta76 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:08 am

Zboy1,


Which Asian countries have you applied? Try this link

http://www.aclipse.net/

and this one http://www.educonus.com/

Aclipse is connected with Chungdamn inst . Which is a private Korean language school in South Korea. I know Korean American guys who work there.

for the second link http://www.educonus.com/ they are connected with EPIK. Which is teaching in public school. It's base upon first come first serve. You should apply to this one and try to get into the Feb.

Typical it's little harder for Korean Americans to teach in Korea but if you choose a place outside of Seoul it becomes much easier.

If your not interested in South Korea I'm not sure how the other Asian countries are like. For Korean Americans it's also useful to get a f-4 visa in South Korea. That means you could live in Korea for up to 2-3 years even without a job or anything. TO get an f-4 visa you have to show proof that your parents was a Korean national but now lives in the USA and gave up there Korean citizenship.


I think for Japan there still is the Jet program. I knew Asian guys who taught in the Jet program. For China...or other Asian countries...I'm not sure how your going at it.

I remember I applied to some ESL schools and was able to find work but because of work and responsibilities in USA I was not able to follow through. IF I can do . You can too.
chanta76
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Postby chanta76 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:21 am

E_Irizarry,


Not true about Asian American not being able to teach ESL in South Korea or possible the rest of Asia. I know people personal who taught ESL in Asia who were not white. I met a black guy who taught ESL in South Korea and I met a number of Korean Americans who taught.


zboy1,

I'm surprise your not getting any call backs. I mean 150 application? Granted being Asian does give some disadvantage but not that much. I mean applied and I was able to get some ESL job.

But you mentioned you have a BS in Business and 10 years in the medical industry. What exact work did you do? The reason why I ask is that. If I were you instead of being an ESL teacher I might go for MBA . I mean ESL teacher reach a cap in how much they make and it's not something you can really grow as a career.

I know that getting an MBA means spending more money but at least for South Korea they do recruit Korean Americans with MBA. It's weird for ESL teacher they have a preference for white people but any other field of work Korean people prefer Korean nationals.

The reason is that they figure your Korean and therefore understand the Korean culture better. Plus with MBA let say you work for an international company it carries more attraction for the local girls than just being an ESL teacher.

There is also teaching ESL on the phone. Where you have phone conversation. If I were you try to get f-4 visa in South Korea so your near all the major Asian countries. You can just try to find work while you are there. If you speak Korean well you can also find even more work.

At the same time you have to ask yourself what's your goal. The reason why I' m not a big fan of the ESL path is that it's limiting. I mean if your an ESL teacher and start a side business that's one thing.
chanta76
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Postby ladislav » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:55 am

Are you applying in Korea only?
Anyway, PM me and let's talk thru Skype. I may have some ideas.

In the meantime, here are schools hiring Korean Americans.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw= ... c5HAJ4bx1E

page after page looking for gyopos ( Korean Americans)

The discrimination is happening in language schools only and mostly in Korea. Koreans do not hate themselves and do not want to be white. The reason is parents. They bring their kids to school and the director tell the paying parents- we will have an American teaching your kids. So, they want someone who looks like an American on TV. It is wrong but most Asians are very very provincial.

Anyway, let's chat on Skype and talk I may have some answers.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Postby polya » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:32 am

Never mind.
Last edited by polya on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
polya
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:21 am

Postby Taco » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:54 am

If you want to teach English in China I recommend Horizon Recruitment and Angelina's Job Placement Agency. These two companies will hire anyone that's human. Just send them your Resume, Tesol, Picture of yourself, Passport, etc... However, you should be careful when using a recruiter since they tend get the schools no one wants to work at. Just register on their websites, go through the advertised jobs and then email them the list of schools your interested in.

The English schools in Korea, Taiwan and Japan prefer 24 year old, blonde, blue eyed chicks with education degrees. After you get some teaching experience you have a better chance of being hired in one of these countries, demand for teachers in Japan is very low.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4241
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Postby E_Irizarry » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm

chanta76 wrote:E_Irizarry,


Not true about Asian American not being able to teach ESL in South Korea or possible the rest of Asia. I know people personal who taught ESL in Asia who were not white. I met a black guy who taught ESL in South Korea and I met a number of Korean Americans who taught.


zboy1,

I'm surprise your not getting any call backs. I mean 150 application? Granted being Asian does give some disadvantage but not that much. I mean applied and I was able to get some ESL job.

But you mentioned you have a BS in Business and 10 years in the medical industry. What exact work did you do? The reason why I ask is that. If I were you instead of being an ESL teacher I might go for MBA . I mean ESL teacher reach a cap in how much they make and it's not something you can really grow as a career.

I know that getting an MBA means spending more money but at least for South Korea they do recruit Korean Americans with MBA. It's weird for ESL teacher they have a preference for white people but any other field of work Korean people prefer Korean nationals.

The reason is that they figure your Korean and therefore understand the Korean culture better. Plus with MBA let say you work for an international company it carries more attraction for the local girls than just being an ESL teacher.

There is also teaching ESL on the phone. Where you have phone conversation. If I were you try to get f-4 visa in South Korea so your near all the major Asian countries. You can just try to find work while you are there. If you speak Korean well you can also find even more work.

At the same time you have to ask yourself what's your goal. The reason why I' m not a big fan of the ESL path is that it's limiting. I mean if your an ESL teacher and start a side business that's one thing.


Okay but why do they want to see photos of the person whom is applying to their school remotely??
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Postby E_Irizarry » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 pm

ladislav wrote:Are you applying in Korea only?
Anyway, PM me and let's talk thru Skype. I may have some ideas.

In the meantime, here are schools hiring Korean Americans.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw= ... c5HAJ4bx1E

page after page looking for gyopos ( Korean Americans)

The discrimination is happening in language schools only and mostly in Korea. Koreans do not hate themselves and do not want to be white. The reason is parents. They bring their kids to school and the director tell the paying parents- we will have an American teaching your kids. So, they want someone who looks like an American on TV. It is wrong but most Asians are very very provincial.

Anyway, let's chat on Skype and talk I may have some answers.

Hmmmm I agree with 3/4's of the way, but I still feel a lot of the ones stateside are self-hating. Sorry for my rant.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )


Return to Questions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest