Countries/Cities with cool/pleasant weather?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
jjdfw
Freshman Poster

Countries/Cities with cool/pleasant weather?

Post by jjdfw »

I am beginning my research on other countries. I am a 41-yo white male from TX, and currently monolingual. Since I took Spanish in high school, I am looking at re-learning Spanish for a language.

Having studied the geography of Latin America a little bit, I know that many of the major cities in Mexico, Central America, and South America are at high altitudes, which, combined with the tropical latitudes, result in cool, spring-like weather year-round. This is important, as I cannot imagine living in a hot/humid climate without A/C! I grew up in Colorado and loved the cool nights, even in the middle of summer. I can also deal with snow and cold much more easily than tropical heat. I'm also pretty rain-tolerant -- so places with a distinct wet season are a possibility.

Can anyone suggest a city in Mexico, Central America, or South America with the following:
- Low cost of living (teaching English would pay enough to have a one-room apartment in a safe, but not touristy, area).
- Presence of some (doesn't have to be a lot) of expats.
- Low crime rate (safe to come and go from home without being mugged or attacked).
- Some cultural amenities (museums, plays, films, concerts, etc.).
- Friendly environment (warm people, easy to make friends, conducive to dating).

Thanks, JJ