Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Problems with translation?

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Problems with translation?

Postby Tsar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Sometimes I encounter problems with Google translate. The word or phrase doesn't make total sense so I have to think of possible synonyms or do my best to guess the most probable meaning. Is there anyone who could help me become better at determining meanings or verifying I understand?
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Re: Problems with translation?

Postby zboy1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Tsar wrote:Sometimes I encounter problems with Google translate. The word or phrase doesn't make total sense so I have to think of possible synonyms or do my best to guess the most probable meaning. Is there anyone who could help me become better at determining meanings or verifying I understand?

Google translator is useless! I used it a few times to practice on my Korean, and the translations often come out garbled and incoherent. Even some basic Korean phrases that I know, come out incorrectly on Google translate. So my suggestion is to use another translator and don't bother using it.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby fschmidt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 pm

It depends on the language. Translation to Spanish is quite good. Translation to Hebrew is bad. I would be interested in any alternatives to Google Translate, especially for Hebrew.
Following the Old Testament, not evil modern culture
fschmidt
Veteran Poster

Re: Problems with translation?

Postby Tsar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 pm

zboy1 wrote:
Tsar wrote:Sometimes I encounter problems with Google translate. The word or phrase doesn't make total sense so I have to think of possible synonyms or do my best to guess the most probable meaning. Is there anyone who could help me become better at determining meanings or verifying I understand?

Google translator is useless! I used it a few times to practice on my Korean, and the translations often come out garbled and incoherent. Even some basic Korean phrases that I know, come out incorrectly on Google translate. So my suggestion is to use another translator and don't bother using it.

I'm using it to communicate on VKontakte to translate Russian.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Return to Questions and Advice