Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Any advice for me on my upcoming trip to Russia?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Post Reply
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4563
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:33 am

Any advice for me on my upcoming trip to Russia?

Post by zboy1 » February 7th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering, what are some of the things I should bring with me to Russia? And, what are some of the things I should do before I go to Russia? For example, do I need to file a tax form to the IRS to let them know I'll be overseas for a while? Also, what kind of extra clothes should I bring with me? I made sure to buy a winter jacket, a pair of ski pants, waterproof artic-boots, and fur hats and gloves. Do I need anything else? And if anyone could give me advice on setting up a bank account in Russia, figuring out my expenses, visa help and anything else, it would be most appreciated!

User avatar
albert
Freshman Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: March 14th, 2014, 7:18 am

arctic-store

Post by albert » March 17th, 2014, 5:19 pm

I need to dress more lady-like for the coming winter carnivals. I came to know of the www.arctic-store.com store who claim to have a huge collection of russian fur hats, winter caps, fur hats and other fur accessories. Can anyone provide me feedback on this store?

User avatar
albert
Freshman Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: March 14th, 2014, 7:18 am

Post by albert » March 17th, 2014, 5:20 pm

I need to dress more lady-like for the coming winter carnivals. I came to know of the www.arctic-store.com store who claim to have a huge collection of russian fur hats, winter caps, fur hats and other fur accessories. Can anyone provide me feedback on this store?

User avatar
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2700
Joined: March 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by xiongmao » March 17th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Wow, you're going to Russia? Well it's probably a good idea to visit them before they visit you.

What if the US brings sanctions? Better not rely on your ATM card.

I think it gets quite hot there in the Summer. So you'll need to layer your clothes.

Do you still need an HIV test for a visa? I heard that used to be the case.
I quit my boring cubicle slave job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Want to teach English overseas? Check out my TEFL blog.
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then join my free Asian dating site.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » March 18th, 2014, 12:28 am

Random comments...

Your idea of getting a Russian bank account is a good one, especially in view of the possibility that (as Xiongmai pointed out) the banking connections could conceivably be broken. Could be hard but do try. Try small bank if big one says no. Try savings if checking is a no.

If possible to do, forming a Russian company might let you open a bank account even if you dont have residency yet.

Xiongmai is right about getting a visa. you cant just buy a ticket like some places. Consulate time - you're in New York right? Easy-peasy.

If you are working online, some customers from BRIC countries might nicely augment your income from US customers in case of currency changes.

Belize has easy IBC's (offshore companies) with merchant card service in case you need an alternative to PayPal. If you are getting paid this way you wont have to explain to PayPal when youre traveling and for how long.

Some countries, even if tough for residency (e.g. Colombia I think) will still let you register as a sole proprietor even on a tourist visa. This would allow you to earn on-the-books local income ... just in case there are problems with outside income. Not a work permit but tacitly permits local self-employment.

Also if your work involves websurfing, check latency (ping speeds) times from various Russian locations. Just so there are no surprises.

Other than that, store your stuff with a relative or friend so you can stay as long as you want, pack your shaving and toiletries, bring a suit as if you were going to a wedding (they love formal parties), and bring a fifth of Johny Walker Black in checked luggage.

And GODSPEED!

PS Do a Polar Bear dip and post pics
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » March 18th, 2014, 12:40 am

There was one member here who did a travel report from Kamchatka to Mongolia, I forgot who. it would be great to find and review his thread.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

gsjackson
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2052
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Post by gsjackson » March 18th, 2014, 12:59 am

Check the date on the OP. Zboy1's Russia plans were superseded by the China adventure.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » March 21st, 2014, 8:04 am

gsjackson wrote:Check the date on the OP. Zboy1's Russia plans were superseded by the China adventure.
d'OH!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4563
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:33 am

Post by zboy1 » March 21st, 2014, 8:27 am

Jester wrote:
gsjackson wrote:Check the date on the OP. Zboy1's Russia plans were superseded by the China adventure.
d'OH!
Yeah, I was supposed to go to Russia, but backtracked at the last moment. I think I made the right decision as there's too many problems in Russia right now. I'm glad I came to China instead...wart's and all.

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4563
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:33 am

Post by zboy1 » March 21st, 2014, 8:30 am

Jester wrote:There was one member here who did a travel report from Kamchatka to Mongolia, I forgot who. it would be great to find and review his thread.
That would be CheezeRaider. He's Asian American, too!--like Winston. He's said he enjoyed himself in Russia, so maybe I was wrong about the country?

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » March 22nd, 2014, 5:24 am

zboy1 wrote:
Jester wrote:There was one member here who did a travel report from Kamchatka to Mongolia, I forgot who. it would be great to find and review his thread.
That would be CheezeRaider. He's Asian American, too!--like Winston. He's said he enjoyed himself in Russia, so maybe I was wrong about the country?
Miss the guy, I thought it was so cool when he did the Genghis Khan horse ride in Central Asia. Wonder where he went?

polya
Junior Poster
Posts: 850
Joined: January 9th, 2008, 8:21 am

Re: Any advice for me on my upcoming trip to Russia?

Post by polya » March 22nd, 2014, 7:30 pm

zboy1 wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering, what are some of the things I should bring with me to Russia? And, what are some of the things I should do before I go to Russia? For example, do I need to file a tax form to the IRS to let them know I'll be overseas for a while? Also, what kind of extra clothes should I bring with me? I made sure to buy a winter jacket, a pair of ski pants, waterproof artic-boots, and fur hats and gloves. Do I need anything else? And if anyone could give me advice on setting up a bank account in Russia, figuring out my expenses, visa help and anything else, it would be most appreciated!
So did you go to Russia? Do tell us what happened. Or did you decide on China instead?
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4563
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:33 am

Re: Any advice for me on my upcoming trip to Russia?

Post by zboy1 » March 22nd, 2014, 10:12 pm

polya wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering, what are some of the things I should bring with me to Russia? And, what are some of the things I should do before I go to Russia? For example, do I need to file a tax form to the IRS to let them know I'll be overseas for a while? Also, what kind of extra clothes should I bring with me? I made sure to buy a winter jacket, a pair of ski pants, waterproof artic-boots, and fur hats and gloves. Do I need anything else? And if anyone could give me advice on setting up a bank account in Russia, figuring out my expenses, visa help and anything else, it would be most appreciated!
So did you go to Russia? Do tell us what happened. Or did you decide on China instead?
No, went to China instead. Russia...well, maybe in the future, but not right now.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Questions and Advice”