Why are Americans so fake? Fake Smiles, fake greetings, etc?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

I think used car salesman were the ones that made being an asshole go mainstream in America.

Used Cars 1980 - Do you have a selling strategy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxCDEhc0h4
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:
....So make no mistake, if you’re not in paradise at home, you will never find paradise abroad."
Very heavy.

+1
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Re: Why are Americans so fake? Fake Smiles, fake greetings,

Post by Halwick »

lovelybunny wrote:I mean, they smile at you then plunge a knife in your back without a second thought. They also lie and pretend to be your friends. They also ask 'how are you?' but do NOT care. Why the hypocrisy and lies?
Obviously Mr. lovelybunny hates the Americans. Don't know where in the U.S. he picked up these impressions, but "not all like that."

On the other hand, my friends who have been to Bangkok and Manila say exactly the same thing. In Thailand, the smiles and wai's to the Farang are fake. The famous Thai smile is a sword and a shield. In the land of smiles, the farang is the prey, not the predator. The game there is to separate you from your wallet. The same applies to the Philippines.

The bottomline: Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Some great posts here in this thread.

I tend to agree with AIB and, like Kai, find his posts extremely informative and helpful. I like reality, not sugar coating. Not ALL Americans in every location within this huge country are the same. Working in a tourist area helped me see the wide contrast between different areas of the country. I had the most problems with those from France and then perhaps UK...NOT from the USA. A white farang going to Thailand on vacation can't read a Thai....sorry. I would say that if an attractive Thai woman approaches a white farang, her motivation is money in ALL cases....period, end of story. A "good" girl in ANY country does not sleep with a guy after one day, much less one hour...that's just a contradiction. Since there would likely be a communication language barrier, I'd expect sex to take even longer. A "good" girl is going to be looking long-term and for something meaningful...she's not going to be hip on the idea of being a cum dumpster. This goes for any country IMO.

I believe that girls working a customer service position in ANY country are going to throw fake smiles...it's part of their job. Busy customer service jobs suck and it's easy to get extremely tired of people in general. However, it's a requirement to smile in the USA for those positions and that is why you get fake smiles. The only difference is that you can sense things easier in your home country.

There are PLENTY of guys that aren't successful with women and get rejected in the USA that SHOULD get rejected. I'm sorry, but I see them ALL THE TIME. Obesity, skin disorders, extreme halitosis, body order, and on and on. Some people need to stop blaming everyone around them and look at themselves. Much can be fixed if they want it bad enough. I agree that if your life is a nightmare in the USA, it isn't going to change dramatically by relocating elsewhere.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

tre wrote:Some great posts here in this thread.

I tend to agree with AIB and, like Kai, find his posts extremely informative and helpful. I like reality, not sugar coating. Not ALL Americans in every location within this huge country are the same. Working in a tourist area helped me see the wide contrast between different areas of the country. I had the most problems with those from France and then perhaps UK...NOT from the USA. A white farang going to Thailand on vacation can't read a Thai....sorry. I would say that if an attractive Thai woman approaches a white farang, her motivation is money in ALL cases....period, end of story. A "good" girl in ANY country does not sleep with a guy after one day, much less one hour...that's just a contradiction. Since there would likely be a communication language barrier, I'd expect sex to take even longer. A "good" girl is going to be looking long-term and for something meaningful...she's not going to be hip on the idea of being a cum dumpster. This goes for any country IMO.

I believe that girls working a customer service position in ANY country are going to throw fake smiles...it's part of their job. Busy customer service jobs suck and it's easy to get extremely tired of people in general. However, it's a requirement to smile in the USA for those positions and that is why you get fake smiles. The only difference is that you can sense things easier in your home country.

There are PLENTY of guys that aren't successful with women and get rejected in the USA that SHOULD get rejected. I'm sorry, but I see them ALL THE TIME. Obesity, skin disorders, extreme halitosis, body order, and on and on. Some people need to stop blaming everyone around them and look at themselves. Much can be fixed if they want it bad enough. I agree that if your life is a nightmare in the USA, it isn't going to change dramatically by relocating elsewhere.
Disagree...There have been many people on HA that have found their lives improved and are much happier by being abroad. People like Falcon, me, Mr.Peabody, JP, DiscoProJoe, ThinkDifferent, AmericanInMexico, WorldTraveller, JamaicanInChina, NaughtyNomad, SkateboardStephen, Eurobrat, Everded, Sushiman, and many more...with some no longer posting on this forum because they found what they needed on moved on with their lives...

For further proof, just subscribe to the EscapeFromAmerica Magazine, and receive free newsletters of many Happy Expats living overseas...Also, you can go on YouTube to see many HappierAbroader's like CharlyCheer to SimoneandMartina, and many more, to see that it is indeed possible to be happier in another country...

But lately, all the newbies that have posting here have tried to discredit the meme of being "HappierAbroad." Why is that...mnnnnnnn?

People like xiongmao, DJfourmoney and others, try to be critics of the movement, but I think they are wrong and making some of us who are abroad look bad.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

zboy1 wrote:
tre wrote:Some great posts here in this thread.

Disagree...There have been many people on HA that have found their lives improved and are much happier by being abroad. People like Falcon, me, Mr.Peabody, JP, DiscoProJoe, ThinkDifferent, AmericanInMexico, WorldTraveller, JamaicanInChina, NaughtyNomad, SkateboardStephen, Eurobrat, Everded, Sushiman, and many more...with some no longer posting on this forum because they found what they needed on moved on with their lives...

For further proof, just subscribe to the EscapeFromAmerica Magazine, and receive free newsletters of many Happy Expats living overseas...Also, you can go on YouTube to see many HappierAbroader's like CharlyCheer to SimoneandMartina, and many more, to see that it is indeed possible to be happier in another country...

But lately, all the newbies that have posting here have tried to discredit the meme of being "HappierAbroad." Why is that...mnnnnnnn?

People like xiongmao, DJfourmoney and others, try to be critics of the movement, but I think they are wrong and making some of us who are abroad look bad.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT saying that there aren't MANY people that are happier abroad. I was happier abroad and will be again...working toward that. I am not placing you and others into the "loser/undesirable" category I mentioned. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people that make the attempt to go abroad when they have absolutely nothing to offer anyone, or worse. I've seen a few that come here complaining about their lack of success abroad and IMO its very likely their fault. People around the world want to take a step UP in life and love so it makes sense they are going to critique someone before moving forward with them (unless she's having sex for $$).

You are doing well abroad because you have your shit together and prepared yourself. You have something to offer over there and thus....you'll continue to have success.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Let's dissect this new (partially victim blaming) paragraph.
"Your problems, your fears, your flaws, and all of your positive traits are always with you, no matter where you go.
Not always. If my problem is hunger in Ethiopia, by moving to the US I solve it. If my problem/fear is political repression, by moving to a place with a better Constitution, I solve it. If my problem is living in a society that hates men, then by moving to a society that respects men, I solve the problem.

People have been migrating since the beginning of time. When the Ice Age came, people moved. They were running away from the problem- the ice. And this is why we are alive here. The ice did not follow them.
They follow you forever. Going abroad may be the answer for some or it may be the beginning of a string of problems.So make no mistake, if you’re not in paradise at home, you will never find paradise abroad."
If your problems are internal such as sickness, they will follow you ( but again, not always as you may find better hospitals). If it is ugliness, then again, it will follow you ( but you may go to a place where people don't care). If it's a fat stomach, yeah, it will follow you. If it is an angry disposition, it will also follow you ( but you may be less angry if you are in a place you like).

Your good qualities may also be with you but they may or may not be appreciated depending on where you are. I was a good looking young man and I was appreciated in Russia and the Philippines but not in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait ( or the US, lol) I could not even look at local women.

But if those are problems outside of you such as:

1) an unhealthy, mad society as in Iran.
2) bad weather.
3) low quality dating material because there are not many around
4) poor job market/bad economy/too high taxes
5) severe political and/or racial problems

Don't slander yourself and your life by beleiving they are your fault. That is bul....t! Move!

You can successfully solve those problems by going to the right places where there is more of what you want and less of what you don't want.
As Joe Louis said, 'You can run but you can't hide.'
This proverb is usually said as a threat to criminals on the lam by a bluffing Texas ranger or a Canadian mounty. Movie stuff. But who said that was no God.

Plenty of people run and hide. Look at all the millions of refugees in the USA. Look at UNHCR and resettlement of persecuted people all around. They run and safely hide in America/Oz/Nz, etc.

This is so simple!
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Taco wrote:I think used car salesman were the ones that made being an asshole go mainstream in America.

Nice post. What's the name of the movie that that clip is from?
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

Digit wrote:Americans are often considered as superficial or even fake but I have to say I like their oppennes in general. I come from a country where people are pretty closed off and don't really talk to strangers that much. In contrast americans are pretty enjoyable because they often seem open to striking up a conversation with you, even if it might be just on a superficial level.
Yes, I met a lady recently who had taught ESL in Japan for 16 years, and she was constantly bringing up how hard it was to live in Japanese culture, because the people are so cold. I found many parts of Europe to be the same way, and would never go back to that continent or to anywhere that has that reputation. When I lived abroad for the first time it was in Europe and I couldn't believe I found a place with people that were actually worse than home.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

rudder wrote:
Taco wrote:I think used car salesman were the ones that made being an asshole go mainstream in America.

Nice post. What's the name of the movie that that clip is from?
The movie is called "Used Cars". I thought Kurt Russell did a good job of portraying his character.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."