Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Why do only some countries pay english teachers well?

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Why do only some countries pay english teachers well?

Postby rudder » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 pm

And it just so happens to be the countries I really wouldn't even consider going to:
China, Japan, Korea, Oman, Qatar, UAE, etc.

I want latin america to step up to the plate and double the english teachers' salaries.
rudder
Freshman Poster

Re: Why do only some countries pay english teachers well?

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 pm

rudder wrote:And it just so happens to be the countries I really wouldn't even consider going to:

I want latin america to step up to the plate and double the english teachers' salaries.

The salary you will get in China is good for China, but that's it. It's little better than a minimum wage job in the States. (About $15,000. Goes a long way in smaller cities. You can also increase this depending on terms in your contract and other things. Plus there is extra tutoring work you can do on the side.) I think Japan may pay well but isn't it really expensive and tough to find a job there now?

I would consider going to the Middle East to teach. That would just be for the money though. I have no interest in it otherwise. I've read salaries in place like Saudi Arabia can easily be 6 figures or more. I think I could go almost anywhere for that kind of money.

I want to go to Latin America, but I've read the wages there are absurdly low for an American, say, such as $3 an hour in Mexico. So if I went to LA somewhere, I might teach, tutor on the side, and write to make money. But it would be work all the time if I did that. Shame too because I think I could fit fairly well and maybe even assimilate in Mexico or perhaps another nearby Latin country. Being here in China has made me realize just how easy Spanish is to learn. There is a lot to be said for what language and country you choose. The difficulty of the language or the availability of decent wages could make or break everything.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Renata » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:23 pm

3 factors manipulate the pay scale ..:

Cost of living.
Monopoly amongst schools.
Competition amongst schools to get the best teachers.

The countries you mentioned; the asian ones are competing for the best teachers. The Middle eastern countries are just richer, no tax worries & teachers salaries are tax free to so you get to earn more just because of that.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Renata
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Don't know what it would be like teaching in the Middle East. When I was in China the guys from that part of the world were the worst students - always walking out, talking on mobiles, sleeping, blah blah.

Chinese students are just so good to teach.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:13 pm

xiongmao wrote:Don't know what it would be like teaching in the Middle East. When I was in China the guys from that part of the world were the worst students - always walking out, talking on mobiles, sleeping, blah blah.

Chinese students are just so good to teach.

They are certainly better than American students, but they are kids just any others. They have all the distractions like phones and tablets like any other kids. They are energetic like any kids would be. The difference is in the culture - teachers are more respected in China and kids worry about face with their parents or other elders. But they are not little angels by any means. I would like to try teaching Chinese adults though. I think that could be one of the best choices for teaching.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why do only some countries pay english teachers well?

Postby OutWest » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:37 pm

rudder wrote:And it just so happens to be the countries I really wouldn't even consider going to:

Are you serious or just trolling?
Do you know anything at all about the way the world works?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Return to Questions and Advice