Is this guy being scammed?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Is this guy being scammed?

Post by Cornfed »

Here is the situation. I man I know was affected by my idea of the imperative to perpetuate one's bloodline. Since he was newly single, having previously been married to an older Thai woman, he (aged in his mid-late 40s) decided to try to marry a teenaged Thai woman and import her to the West. (Yeah I know, but it is important not to die childless and let the scum win.) His strategy was to marry one who already had a kid out of wedlock and then agree to raise it as his own with the condition that she had many more.

After many false starts and chatting with many different females over a few months on the Internet, and learning to recognize all the scammers and golddiggers, he finally settled on one in particular, sent over money for her to travel and engaged an immigration consultant at his end. Apparently she was en-route, when it was found that her tourist visa application had been unexpectedly declined.

The question is, is the girl and her family likely to be scamming him. For example, is there a way they apply for visas in such as way as to have them declined? Is this a common gambit in scams?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

Damn some of you old guys are so naive. Why is it that the first thing you do is send them money? Did he even meet her in person?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

RedMenace wrote:Damn some of you old guys are so naive. Why is it that the first thing you do is send them money? Did he even meet her in person?
If you are going to be marrying a girl under those circumstances then obviously she is not going to be independently wealthy, so she would need money to travel. No he never met her as that would have cost a fortune due to having to take time off work, but they talked on Skype for a long time. It was a long time before the issue of sending her money arose.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Good job Cornfed. That's really wonderful work you're doing by convincing people (non-scum) to have kids.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Good lord. There's almost no chance of a single Thai female getting a legit tourist visa, so yeah, this is a scam.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Cornfed wrote:
RedMenace wrote:Damn some of you old guys are so naive. Why is it that the first thing you do is send them money? Did he even meet her in person?
If you are going to be marrying a girl under those circumstances then obviously she is not going to be independently wealthy, so she would need money to travel. No he never met her as that would have cost a fortune due to having to take time off work, but they talked on Skype for a long time. It was a long time before the issue of sending her money arose.
I think your friend would have better invested , say, $4000 to take a couple of weeks off (maybe even unpaid leave) and fly over to meet her in person, than send money directly to her, knowing she would have the upper hand in scamming him.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Cornfed wrote:
Red is right on this one. This dude broke one of the cardinal rules. NEVER send money to a woman you have never met in person. Especially a large amount of money. 20 dollars for a birthday is peanuts.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Well, they spent a romantic week together, so not a total scam it would seem.
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

Cornfed wrote:Well, they spent a romantic week together, so not a total scam it would seem.
You could spend a much much longer time with many thai hookers for the same amount of money. To me spending that amount of money on one female is not worth it. Unless she is your wife or mother, then don't spend money on her.

Money always complicates things. Like once I was helping this guy even though I was busy simply out of good will. Then he brought the idea of paying me because I helped him so much. Now I don't feel like helping him because he hasn't given me money for it. See this is what happens when you bring money into certain situations.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

RedMenace wrote:
Cornfed wrote:Well, they spent a romantic week together, so not a total scam it would seem.
You could spend a much much longer time with many thai hookers for the same amount of money.
Yes, but he wants a wife to have his children and lead a normal life with, not just casual sex.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Is this guy being scammed?

Post by davewe »

Cornfed wrote:Here is the situation. I man I know was affected by my idea of the imperative to perpetuate one's bloodline. Since he was newly single, having previously been married to an older Thai woman, he (aged in his mid-late 40s) decided to try to marry a teenaged Thai woman and import her to the West. (Yeah I know, but it is important not to die childless and let the scum win.) His strategy was to marry one who already had a kid out of wedlock and then agree to raise it as his own with the condition that she had many more.

After many false starts and chatting with many different females over a few months on the Internet, and learning to recognize all the scammers and golddiggers, he finally settled on one in particular, sent over money for her to travel and engaged an immigration consultant at his end. Apparently she was en-route, when it was found that her tourist visa application had been unexpectedly declined.

The question is, is the girl and her family likely to be scamming him. For example, is there a way they apply for visas in such as way as to have them declined? Is this a common gambit in scams?
First, an immigration consultant/attorney is a waste of time and money. Fill out the papers yourself and save a grand!

Second the chances of a poor girl from any 3rd world country getting a tourist visa are slim and none. If the "consultant" was legitimate, he would have told him this.

Third, how could the girl be in route and then the visa is declined. She's either got it or not. Without the visa she's not going anywhere, except from one bar to the next :)

Even if things go smoothly, the visa process is at least as expensive as a ticket to Thailand, especially if he hired a consultant to boot.