Finding editing work

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Finding editing work

Post by gsjackson »

I like to think that one of my skills is editing copy -- to as high a standard as needed. I've got academic degrees out the wazoo, including a PhD, JD, and BA in English from Duke; I worked for a time as managing editor of a national political magazine; scored in the 99th percentile on the "writing sample" portion of the old Law School Admission Test that was essentially editing sentences (98th percentile on the test as a whole); other credentials.

I see so many enterprises in EE and Russia (and I'm sure in the far east as well) trying futilely to communicate in written English. It's usually laughable, and often so bad that the meaning isn't conveyed.

I've got to think that there's a market out there for free-lance editing done online. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to chase down this market, and what might be a reasonable hourly charge for the service?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Don't have any idea, but there is sure a need for this.

Great idea.

Try O-Desk to start, then develop private clients?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Finding editing work

Post by momopi »

gsjackson wrote:I like to think that one of my skills is editing copy -- to as high a standard as needed. I've got academic degrees out the wazoo, including a PhD, JD, and BA in English from Duke; I worked for a time as managing editor of a national political magazine; scored in the 99th percentile on the "writing sample" portion of the old Law School Admission Test that was essentially editing sentences (98th percentile on the test as a whole); other credentials.
I see so many enterprises in EE and Russia (and I'm sure in the far east as well) trying futilely to communicate in written English. It's usually laughable, and often so bad that the meaning isn't conveyed.
I've got to think that there's a market out there for free-lance editing done online. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to chase down this market, and what might be a reasonable hourly charge for the service?

There are numerous freelancer web sites, you only need to Google them. i.e. freelancer.com, elance.com, guru.com, etc.

Prices are pretty competitive and you need to build up a reputation on these sites, so you might have to bid low just to get started and accumulate some positive feedback.