Advice for a youngster?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
MAR2264419
Freshman Poster

Advice for a youngster?

Post by MAR2264419 »

As a young man at 23 should I just get as many credititionals/ skills as possible and move out of the usa like at age 30 or should I just try to leave now before my youth is over..
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

It would be good if you could get together with other young men and take back your country from the sadistic animals ruining it.
MAR2264419
Freshman Poster

Post by MAR2264419 »

Haha wish I can but it's the elites that are in control .. a group of average men don't have the power
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

Here's what someone advised me when I was your age:

The three most important decisions you'll ever make in your life are: a) what you will do for a living; b) where you live; and c) who you will marry.

Other advice (chronologically):
1) 20s: figure out what you like, what' you're good at and what is important and get an education or training in that area.
If you are employed at a company, try to learn as much as you can about the company, the way it operates and the industry. Then you can decide whether to continue working as an employee or start your own company;
2) 30s: is the time to hone your skill and mastering them;
3) 40s - 50s: you should be well established in the industry or considered a "subject matter expert, aka guru."
Start thinking about "paying it forward" and mentoring a younger guy, pass on the expertise. Preparing for retirement.
4) 60s: Time to retire, cash in those 401K and IRA investments and enjoy life.

Other:
While you are in your 20s, start saving 10% of your gross and live frugally. Build up as big a nest egg as possible so that by the time you are in your 40s or 50s, you have money for your endeavors or vices.

As for living in U.S. or living abroad: You can make more money in the U.S. than you can in a third world country.

If you decide to live in a another country, learn the language, customs, laws, enjoy food, culture and literature and women. Try not to be the "ugly, arrogant American".

Choose your friends wisely and network; they will come in handy later on.

Try to be helpful to people; it will pay dividends later on. You never know when someone you help now will be in a position to help you later.

Whatever business you are in, be fair and honest in your dealings and take care of your customers or they will find somebody else who will. Your customers will remember who is fair and honest.

Think long term, not short term.

Relationships / Marriage: Marriage is a disaster for a young man, and a comfort for an old man, provided you marry the right kind.

If you want her that bad, then enter into a cohabitation contract with terms, conditions and expectations spelled out and agreed to. Women are like wars; there's always another one coming along.

Take care of your health (physically and mentally) while young and enjoy vices in moderation. Living life hard, fast and wild will eventually catch up to you in hold age.

If you've done good, you'll have no regrets at the end.

"Luck" comes from being prepared to cope with whatever faces you; "bad luck" is the result of being sloppy and not paying attention to the details.

Good luck.