How in Hell's name can I make a Passive Income?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: How in Hell's name can I make a Passive Income?

Post by xiongmao »

As many of you know I've been making money online for a long time - since 1998 in fact.

The golden years were around 2010 - 11 but it's got a lot harder now.

I have launched successful website since 2010, but financial success has eluded me.

I'm doing better from my investments, which now make more than my online income. One key difference between Europeans and Americans is that Europeans focus more on yield.

As for making money online, there are still good niches. Clothing is looking promising. The other thing is to look for new things - I was researching Dream Team Money today and the site is pretty junk but they are cleaning up in highly lucrative bitcoin related traffic.

But yeah, it's got really difficult now, so I'm going down the English teaching route (watch this space!).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Passive Income comes from working your ass off then saving enough to live off enough of your passive income. It is no easy feat, but it can be done. My passive income comes from:

Retirement Pension
Offshore High Interest accounts
High dividend stock ETFs (PFF, DIV, SDIV)
Bond Index Fund (VBPMX)
Light "Day Trading" Proceeds
Rental property income

This gives me about 100k per year to travel the world changing countries each month or so. These are accumulated over time and left to grow until the point when you can retire early.
Last edited by Contrarian Expatriate on August 15th, 2017, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Passive Income comes working your ass off then saving enough to live off enough of your passive income. It is no easy feat, but it can be done. My passive income comes from:

Retirement Pension
Bond Index Fund (VBPMX)
Rental property income
In other words, you're on the dole. We'er paying for your monkey ass. But how else could it have been?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Passive Income comes working your ass off then saving enough to live off enough of your passive income. It is no easy feat, but it can be done. My passive income comes from:

Retirement Pension
Bond Index Fund (VBPMX)
Rental property income
In other words, you're on the dole. We'er paying for your monkey ass. But how else could it have been?
I am if you are a whining loser who could never obtain the credentials to actually BE so gainfully employed. Of course, "Firmtuv Akshin" tends to make whites of the lowest tier unsuitable so you'd never have a chance. The fact that I had to pay into the pension for over 20 years is lost on the unemployed, low-status, man like yourself. There is no wonder why you can't get any sex.

Pensions are generally for people who actually invest heavily in their educations or training, perform decades of public service work in service to others, and forgo more lucrative employment by staying in place. It is a bargained for exchange that the incompetent see as unjust since they could never make the cut. So I get you; if you're ever in Eastern Europe, I'll by you some chewing tobacco and a six-pack if it would make you feel any better. :lol:
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Pensions are generally for people who actually invest heavily in their educations or training, perform decades of public service work in service to others, and forgo more lucrative employment by staying in place.
Surely you know perfectly well that nothing could be further from the truth.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Passive Income comes from working your ass off then saving enough to live off enough of your passive income. It is no easy feat, but it can be done. My passive income comes from:

Retirement Pension
Bond Index Fund (VBPMX)
Rental property income

This gives me about 100k per year to travel the world changing countries each month or so. These are accumulated over time and left to grow until the point when you can retire early.
How's the day trading game? It's something I've gotten more interested in within the past few months. I realize the initial investment (software, broker fees, etc) can be a bit pricey but is it worth spending my time learning and reading up on? I'm not looking for a get rich scheme just maybe an extra supplemental income ($500-1000 a month).
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

hammanta wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:Passive Income comes from working your ass off then saving enough to live off enough of your passive income. It is no easy feat, but it can be done. My passive income comes from:

Retirement Pension
Bond Index Fund (VBPMX)
Rental property income

How's the day trading game? It's something I've gotten more interested in within the past few months. I realize the initial investment (software, broker fees, etc) can be a bit pricey but is it worth spending my time learning and reading up on? I'm not looking for a get rich scheme just maybe an extra supplemental income ($500-1000 a month).
It is very risky and not for most people. I have only 5k allocated to my day trading account and I only make about 2 or 3 trades in most weeks.

My strategy is trading in ranges. In other words, I only sell to realize a profit of $50 or more. I've made trades that have yielded me $1500 but those are infrequent.

The key to my strategy is the buy back. Once I realize a profit, I set a limit order to buy it back when it goes back down. In my experience, when a stock goes up more than 3% in a day, it will eventually settle back down in relatively short measure due to other profit takers.

I would advise:

-Allocate only a small amount to your day trading account (at least until you get the gist of how markets behave most days)

-Stick with Index or sector ETFs and not individual companies. There is too much risk associated with any single company.

-Use the heck out of Limit Orders for buying and selling.

-Don't get greedy, money is made with many small profits and one or two lucky bounces per year.

-See day trading as a means to supplement your income but not reliably. Some months or quarters you will do very little trading until the sentiment improves.

-If the market starts a cyclical bear, cut out for awhile until you see capitulation and the trading ranges working again.

-Never, ever, ever, listen to the nonsense spread on Bloomberg and CNBC or any other financial pundit media. They want people in the buy and hold trap, always. That benefits the Wall Street types who can then get out before the tanking begins leaving small investors holding the bag.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Contrarian Expatriate ,

Do you own real estate rental properties? Do you have a property manager take care of them for you?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

chanta76 wrote:Contrarian Expatriate ,

Do you own real estate rental properties? Do you have a property manager take care of them for you?
Up until recently, yes. I've held multiple properties over the years but sold them all to cash out. And yes, I did use a property manager who know the buildings well and took care of the tenets and the paperwork.

I still list rental property as passive income because I invest in an Real Estate Limited Partnership that focuses on rental income. I also am in the market to buy a condo-hotel unit that I can live in while in the USA, and it would be a normal hotel room for the other 90% of the year earning me income.

Condo hotels are not for everyone but they can be profitable if the fee structure and the building occupancy rates make them so.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

A book on how to make passive income.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X41PRVV/

Write that resignation letter and travel abroad with - Passive Income: Realistic Ways to Earn more Money and not live Paycheck to Paycheck

Learn the Real Secrets to Getting Out of Debt and Saving Money with…

Passive Income: Realistic Ways to Earn More Money and Stop Living Paycheck to Paycheck

Forget everything you think you already know about earning money online or starting an Internet-based company. And get ready to start a business that will quickly supplement your current salary or allow you to change careers entirely.

This is not a get-rich quick scheme designed for people looking for easy money. The methods described in this book will work for anyone willing to put in the effort. But once rolling, passive income can be a ticket to the financial freedom you’ve always wanted. No more living paycheck to paycheck. No more scrounging for extra cash after the bills are paid. With the tools described in this book, it is possible to live debt free and even quit your full-time job.

Unlike any other resource out there, this book gives you everything you need to earn great primary or supplemental passive income online, including:

Four proven business models and implementation methods—no pyramid or get-rich-quick schemes

Easy-to-understand, step-by-step language—perfect for beginners

Cost-effective marketing tips that will get your business noticed and earning

Detailed, real-world information to help you define strategies, costs and benefits for each online business option covered

Tips for getting started, staying profitable and building on your success

Don’t wait! Real financial freedom is just a click away. Download your copy today and begin a journey that is destined to change your life. This is one book you cannot afford to miss.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne