Are skinny guys the equivalent of fat women?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

theprimebait wrote:
dimorphism really does meet dimorphism.so a low dimorphic guy can expect a low dimorphic girl to like him,but not a high dimorphic stunner.

its about frame size and frame width aswell as shoulder width and V shape.I'm afraid no amount of bodybuilding will compensate for a narrow,weak,and tiny frame,not to mention men with these frames can't pack on muscle without steroids.

my personal advice for men with small bones is get on vitamin K butter oil.

http://puahate.com/showthread.php?t=88234
Yeah, frame size is a big part of a masculine look. Which sucks for guys like me (I have thin shoulders and a tiny bone structure)...

However, I do not think it is impossible for a skinny guy to get attractive women. Maybe not supermodel 9+ quality, but cute 7-7.5s are certainly not impossible, even in countries where a more athletic body is prefered by most women (based on my own experience). An attractive face can also compensate for an average body.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

tre wrote: I am currently 212 pounds at over 6' and have a 33 waist. I am not particularly lean...need to lose about 10-15 pound of fat. I could wear clothes in the above stores...even now. That just goes to show you how obese this country is. Being thin is much better than being fat....no comparison IMO.
I'm 6' with 35-36W. Need to get back to 34W. ;p Hard to shop for nice jeans with 36W.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

chibolo wrote:
tre wrote: If you wanna throw on 10+ pounds of muscle in the next year, you could. If you feel good the way you are, then don't worry about it.
Not everyone can gain a lot of muscle by working out. It is mostly genetic. I compare it to tanning. Some people are naturally very pale and will never get a tan. Others can get a slight tan, while others can get a very dark tan. Same with muscles. If you are naturally very skinny you will not be able to build much muscle. I tried working out myself, but the results I got were not worth the effort I put in. Also, if you have small/thin bones you will always look thin even if you gained some muscle. Most of the skinny guys who gained a lot of muscle where skinny because their bodies were still developing and naturally filled out after they stopped growing, not because they started lifting weights.
You can gain 10 pounds of muscle within a year unless you have a disease that prevents it. You have not reached your muscular potential...I can guarantee it. It isn't only about lifting weights its about living the entire lifestyle and making it your priority. I was over 6' at 115 pound in my senior year of high school. Do you think I have a big frame? I probably have smaller wrists than you do. The question is...how much do you want it? Why did you give up....because it wasn't worth it to you. It WAS worth it to me....and still is. Metabolism slows down when you get older and it only get harder. I now have fat where I couldn't gain it in my teen years or even in my 20's. Still, I maintain a good amount of muscle mass. I should be around 200lbs at 8% bodyfat within 2-3 months from now. That is leaner than I was in high school and 85 pounds of muscle bigger. Of course, I've lifted regularly for over 15 years. It didn't come easy as it comes to some, but I can get there...even if it comes much slower.

In the USA you can optimize your hormones in one way or the other legally. If you have unhealthy levels you have the right to fix them. You SHOULD fix them, if only for your own health and well-being. Using genetics as an excuse is weak IMO. Sure, you might have to work a little harder for what you want, but so what? Giving up was never an option for me. If you want something bad enough, you make it happen...

IMO, having a really big frame with big bones is a disadvantage unless you want to play football, be a competing bodybuilder, strongman competitor, etc.. Taking a slim physique and building it up looks much better IMO. At 5'8", you WANT to have a slim build. If you had a big frame at 5'8", you'd look like a block once you filled it out...
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

tre wrote:
chibolo wrote:
tre wrote: If you wanna throw on 10+ pounds of muscle in the next year, you could. If you feel good the way you are, then don't worry about it.
Not everyone can gain a lot of muscle by working out. It is mostly genetic. I compare it to tanning. Some people are naturally very pale and will never get a tan. Others can get a slight tan, while others can get a very dark tan. Same with muscles. If you are naturally very skinny you will not be able to build much muscle. I tried working out myself, but the results I got were not worth the effort I put in. Also, if you have small/thin bones you will always look thin even if you gained some muscle. Most of the skinny guys who gained a lot of muscle where skinny because their bodies were still developing and naturally filled out after they stopped growing, not because they started lifting weights.
You can gain 10 pounds of muscle within a year unless you have a disease that prevents it. You have not reached your muscular potential...I can guarantee it. It isn't only about lifting weights its about living the entire lifestyle and making it your priority. I was over 6' at 115 pound in my senior year of high school. Do you think I have a big frame? I probably have smaller wrists than you do. The question is...how much do you want it? Why did you give up....because it wasn't worth it to you. It WAS worth it to me....and still is. Metabolism slows down when you get older and it only get harder. I now have fat where I couldn't gain it in my teen years or even in my 20's. Still, I maintain a good amount of muscle mass. I should be around 200lbs at 8% bodyfat within 2-3 months from now. That is leaner than I was in high school and 85 pounds of muscle bigger. Of course, I've lifted regularly for over 15 years. It didn't come easy as it comes to some, but I can get there...even if it comes much slower.

In the USA you can optimize your hormones in one way or the other legally. If you have unhealthy levels you have the right to fix them. You SHOULD fix them, if only for your own health and well-being. Using genetics as an excuse is weak IMO. Sure, you might have to work a little harder for what you want, but so what? Giving up was never an option for me. If you want something bad enough, you make it happen...

IMO, having a really big frame with big bones is a disadvantage unless you want to play football, be a competing bodybuilder, strongman competitor, etc.. Taking a slim physique and building it up looks much better IMO. At 5'8", you WANT to have a slim build. If you had a big frame at 5'8", you'd look like a block once you filled it out...
Yeah you were really skinny as a teenager, but you probably gained muscle naturally as you developed an adult body. I highly doubt you have smaller wrists than I do :) I am willing to bet that you have an average sized body/frame and are not truly skinny.Body builders tend to think of themselves as skinnier than they really are.

I lifted weights for several years, pumped myself full of protein and creatine and my results were very minimal. The muscle I gained wasn't really noticeable. Maybe I could gain a little more, but I do not believe there is any way for me to get a truly muscular or even athletic body (unless maybe with steroids).
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

chibolo wrote:
tre wrote:
chibolo wrote:

Yeah you were really skinny as a teenager, but you probably gained muscle naturally as you developed an adult body. I highly doubt you have smaller wrists than I do :) I am willing to bet that you have an average sized body/frame and are not truly skinny.Body builders tend to think of themselves as skinnier than they really are.

I lifted weights for several years, pumped myself full of protein and creatine and my results were very minimal. The muscle I gained wasn't really noticeable. Maybe I could gain a little more, but I do not believe there is any way for me to get a truly muscular or even athletic body (unless maybe with steroids).
I had a nickname of battle bones in high school. My frame was fully built by the time I was a senior. Yes, my wrists are as small as guys that are shorter than you. I have small bones, narrow ribcage and very narrow hips. I started lifting seriously at age 21. I am now 36. That is 15 years of consistent weight training in order to gain muscle pounds. They came faster in the beginning (as they always do). I am now lucky to gain 5 lbs per year (of muscle) at this point and I've just about reached my potential as a true ectomorph. My doctor told me my potential will not exceed 215 ripped...ever. That is nowhere near bodybuilder status. 215 is nothing for a bodybuilder with my height.

Regardless, I have my limits as an ectomorph...that is true. I can only maintain so much muscle mass. The good news is that I don't WANT to get any bigger than 215. Even 200lbs ripped looks amazing on an ectomorphic frame...so that's my goal right now.

If you are deficient in Testosterone, then you would have more problems gaining weight. However, I wouldn't guess about it....go get a simple blood test and check. If you have low testosterone (less than 300ng/dl) then you have more to worry about than gaining muscle...especially if you are young. Being deficient in testosterone will cause all sorts of problems physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.. It can eventually lead to disease (prostate cancer, etc.). I wouldn't guess that someone who is young would have low T, but it's possible. I don't know if you have any "sides" of low T as you have only mentioned not gaining muscle. If you have sufficient T levels....then you don't have that excuse. You don't need more than optimal amounts of testosterone to gain muscle mass...

My point is...if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to get it. I used to research constantly for ways to gain muscle...from diets, to lifting routines, to supplements, etc.. I wasn't willing to stay skinny so I spent the time and effort to change it...simple as that.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

tre wrote:
My point is...if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to get it. I used to research constantly for ways to gain muscle...from diets, to lifting routines, to supplements, etc.. I wasn't willing to stay skinny so I spent the time and effort to change it...simple as that.
Some things are impossible and no matter how bad you want them you will never have them.

My point is that you just don't know how much muscle someone can gain. Body builders say that it is always your own fault for not working hard enough, not eating enough, etc. How do they know this? It makes sense to me that some people just do not have the genes to gain much muscle, just like some people can't tan. If you accept that some people have exceptional genes for body building (like Schwarzenegger) then you must also accept that there are some who have afwul genes (like very skinny guys).

As I said before, I tried working out for years and did gain some muscle, but it didn't make much of a difference to the way I looked. People still called me skinny.
Anthropolonerd
Freshman Poster

Post by Anthropolonerd »

Tbh those couples where the guy has tinier arms than the girl (and not because she is fat) only seem to happen in Asia. It looks intensely weird to me. Like how can a girl be attracted to that? Even more important, how can a guy respect himself when he is with a girl who is more buff than he is? lol. Mind is blown.

Attractiveness is just relative in a lot of ways. We have a very Anglo-centric view on it, which is the buffer/broader the better. However I do have to say that seems very primitive to me when I look at it objectively. Much more primitive than Asian tastes.
Seduction Sebi
Freshman Poster

Post by Seduction Sebi »

I would also consider myself as very skinny even if I build some muscle recently by going to the gym regularly but being skinny as a guy is definitely not comparable with being a fat chick.

There are many skinny guys out there who have beautiful girlfriends. Don't believe the media which tells you that women are only into muscular guys. There are not so many women out there than you think who are into bodybuilders.
Lucy123
Freshman Poster

Post by Lucy123 »

My husband is thin and so am I. For what it's worth I don't think obese women = thin men.
As for people calling guys skinny, I feel like that is a childish thing to say about someone.
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

Definitely not,
and here is why.
A fat girl, the medical term for this is morbidly obese is functionally like a disability.
You want to go hiking as a skinny guy no problem, a fat girl forget it.
Fat girls have significant mobility problems which is a major limitation to what they can do. And the task that are limited by those physical limitations usually get transferred to the skinny guy. And this does not even touch all the health issues.

The answer is simple for fat girls, its diet and exercise. Another answer is forcing fat acceptance on others. This however will have no benefit to there unhealthy disposition.

Skinny guys can gain a decent muscle tone by doing some exercise. Guy that are majorly jacked are usually chemically enhanced. You can see by difference by looking a historical photos of strong men and early bodybuilders.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: Are skinny guys the equivalent of fat women?

Post by Jackal »

drealm wrote:I always thought a skinny guy had average sex appeal.
That's only in America. In most European countries, skinny guys are considered sexy.
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

This guy was taking about how sugar and ethyl alcohol are metabolized in the same way.
And why its concentrated cheap sugar that is the cause of the fat epidemic.
He also mentioned that concentrated sugar has many of the same metabolic addictive properties that ethyl alcohol has not to mention the many of the same chronic exposure effects as the sugar ethyl alcohol does like Big Gulp gut.
If you have been around fat chicks they eat in a very specific way.
They will usually eat about three times what a normal weight person will eat and will always choose foods with sky high caloric content like a salad with two cups of dressing and a frozen yogurt afterwards. You have seen the stereotype, they calmed they ate 1 doughnut when they actually ate the whole box. Binge eating like a crack head who cant stop until all the crack is gone. Women always deny this stuff.

Fat chicks do have many of the same denial characteristics that alcoholics have come to think about it.
Tapatio89
Freshman Poster

Post by Tapatio89 »

I am a skinny guy at 130 lbs (59 kg) and 5'7" tall (170cm). Have 10% body fat.

In my experience in the US, some American women have rejected me because I am skinny and slightly short, whilst other American girls have found me quite attractive. In my experience, I have better luck with urban or yuppy American girls than with the typical suburban girl that makes the majority of the US female population. Heck, they even prefer a tall, fat guy with an ugly face than me that I am of a gracile build, good looking and well dressed despite my height. But hey, to each his own.

With Mexican and Latinas, European ()particularly Mediterranean women), Middle Eastern and Asian girls, they do not put as much emphasis on height as American girls are (have more realistic expectations honestly). In fact, they prefer a guy like me over the average American guy, who, as you know guys, is overweight/fat and dresses sloppy (not saying you guys are, but have you noticed it as well about the US population? Even Roosh one time said the same thing as well).

I think the Anglosphere does have a preference for the muscular to fat/stocky build than the slender, gracile build for men. In fact, most American clothing brands do not fit me as the clothes are too big/baggy (I am a XS size in Banana Republic for example), whilst Mediterranean brands like Zara or Armani Exchange, it is quite easy to find my size
justanotherhanut
Freshman Poster

Post by justanotherhanut »

I'm 5'6 140lb... too small?
Tapatio89
Freshman Poster

Post by Tapatio89 »

justanotherhanut wrote:I'm 5'6 140lb... too small?
You are slim that is for sure. Healthy weight, but slim.

You have a small, medium or large body frame/bone structure? I have a small body frame