$200,000 saved up - where should I go?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

$200,000 saved up - where should I go?

Post by Boxman »

A broken marriage, an unhappy job, the death of my mother and a series of failed relationships since my divorce have brought me to this. I'm leaving this place (the United States) to start over abroad. There's nothing for me here anymore. My only hope is to start over, in a completely different place so that I can build a completely new life.

I may have ended up 45 and childless, with no real family or friends left, and nothing keeping me rooted to this place... but one thing I did end up with is money. I was never materialistic and always tended to save and invest my extra money, a habit that has left me with over $200,000 in cash and several rental properties bringing in about $2000/month (average net profit - month to month it varies pretty wildly). I can hire a property management company to handle my rental units but that will lower my average monthly income to around $1500 or less.

I dream of quitting my job and settling down somewhere far away, to live off my $200k nest egg and my rental income. Where would be the best place to stretch my dollar but still have access to attractive women that speak a little english? I'm open to the possibilities and haven't my heart set on any one place. I have loved all kinds of women in my life... no hangups about race or anything. I just like my women feminine, loyal and sweet.

So gents if you had $200k and some modest monthly income, where would you go?

PS: If it's relevant, I'm white, still have all my hair, slightly above average height, and in ok shape (not fat, not ripped either).

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Depends on what kind of life you are looking for and what type of woman you are interested in. With the amount you have, you could live in several places comfortably. If I were you, I'd head directly to Malaysia and use that location as the springboard to travel all of Asia. You don't have to work, so may as well travel...
??????
Freshman Poster

Post by ?????? »

You will probably get several different answers depending on who you ask. Many will recommend you try the Philippines first. As for me, I am more attracted to Russian girls, myself. More information on preparing yourself for Russian women: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php ... 78fc3851a8&

Also a former poster, American in Bangkok (Scott Mallon), has a huge amount of advice and video on Thailand at his blog: http://www.anamericaninbangkok.com/ Consultation: http://www.anamericaninbangkok.com/cons ... rvice.html
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

My opinion, if you want a younger wife, and your money to go really far, besides the obvious answer?

Vietnam, 1$ is worth 25$ in Vietnam, talk about living like a king?

I was text skyping this viet girl, she's around 20 to 24 years old, I asked her what's the oldest age you would date, she said 40.

So your good to go, but with that much funding saved up, the planet is your playground, depends on your taste in women and how far you want your money to go.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I think many would recommend the Philippines, and I would too, but what I really think you should do is get a clear picture in mind of what you want your new life to look like first. Write it down in every detail. What kind of house do you want to live in? What do you want to do with your spare time? Do you like alone time or being surrounded by extended families?

Go into every detail of what this new life should look and feel like, and maybe even tell us. Then you will likely get some very good and useful answers as to where you can best match your picture.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: $200,000 saved up - where should I go?

Post by Rock »

Boxman wrote:A broken marriage, an unhappy job, the death of my mother and a series of failed relationships since my divorce have brought me to this. I'm leaving this place (the United States) to start over abroad. There's nothing for me here anymore. My only hope is to start over, in a completely different place so that I can build a completely new life.

I may have ended up 45 and childless, with no real family or friends left, and nothing keeping me rooted to this place... but one thing I did end up with is money. I was never materialistic and always tended to save and invest my extra money, a habit that has left me with over $200,000 in cash and several rental properties bringing in about $2000/month (average net profit - month to month it varies pretty wildly). I can hire a property management company to handle my rental units but that will lower my average monthly income to around $1500 or less.

I dream of quitting my job and settling down somewhere far away, to live off my $200k nest egg and my rental income. Where would be the best place to stretch my dollar but still have access to attractive women that speak a little english? I'm open to the possibilities and haven't my heart set on any one place. I have loved all kinds of women in my life... no hangups about race or anything. I just like my women feminine, loyal and sweet.

PS: If it's relevant, I'm white, still have all my hair, slightly above average height, and in ok shape (not fat, not ripped either).
Welcome comrade. Here's to the beginning of your new life.

Consider visiting the Philippines first. It will be one of the easiest in terms of cost and language while throwing you into the deep-end of what foreign countries can be like in terms of crowds, noise, pollution, and traffic. Moreover, in Metro Manila, you can seek out opportunities to put some of that US$200 K to work by buying rental condos which can yield a consistent net of 8% or more.

You can also start dating there to learn what non-American women can be like. It's gotta be one of the easiest places for a newbie like yourself to get acclimated to life abroad. During your stay there, you can research and plan part 2 depending on how your tastes and desires evolve with your new found freedoms.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

magnum wrote:
Vietnam, 1$ is worth 25$ in Vietnam, talk about living like a king?
Where in the world did you get that ratio? Sounds absurd. No place on this planet is like that!
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Google "1 usd to dong"

I could be really mistaken, but the girl I was chatting with told me about this, and I looked it up?

Unless I'm not understanding something here correctly, I've never been good with conversion rates and things of that nature.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

magnum wrote:Google "1 usd to dong"

I could be really mistaken, but the girl I was chatting with told me about this, and I looked it up?

Unless I'm not understanding something here correctly, I've never been good with conversion rates and things of that nature.
OK, currently 1 US$ converts to 21,110 Vietnamese Dong. But the exchange rates have nothing to do with living costs. I mean, 1 US$ also converts to 101 Japanese Yen at moment. That certainly doesn't mean the US$ is 101 times as strong as the Japanese Yen. I mean what's you seem to be implying reminds me of Fillipinos who think that just because one US$ converts to 45 Philippine Pesos, Americans must be 45 times as rich as they are lol.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

So many places to check out! You may want to check out http://retirecheap.asia/. JT is based out of Chiang Mai Thailand but he does have travel videos of other Asian countries as well. He's got a ton of great videos that focus on the affordability of homes, food, goods etc.

Much of your location depends on your budget, preference for location ie beach, big city, country etc. Many of focus on Asia because we love Asian women and are on a budget. But you have some good funds coming in so you can choose almost any country that you want. I would recommend taking a long scouting trip.

Good luck!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Boxman wrote: I may have ended up 45 and childless, with no real family or friends left, and nothing keeping me rooted to this place... but one thing I did end up with is money. I was never materialistic and always tended to save and invest my extra money, a habit that has left me with over $200,000 in cash and several rental properties bringing in about $2000/month (average net profit - month to month it varies pretty wildly). I can hire a property management company to handle my rental units but that will lower my average monthly income to around $1500 or less.
As a fellow landlord, I have to ask why your month to month rental income "vary wildly" ? Are your tenants on month to month lease terms and have high turnover?

How much experience do you have in international travel? If you've rarely left the US, I'd suggest taking this opportunity to go travel and see the world. Go see Europe, South America, Asia, etc. Go stand in the Mona Lisa room at the Louvre and gawk at the camera mob in front of the painting. Take a stroll down Rue Cler and buy some fresh strawberries.

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I'd recommend Thailand. It's pretty clean, and it's easy to find Western foods and good healthcare. I went to an English speaking doctor in Bangkok and it cost about $5 - it was about $100 in China.

But you could also move around - you can stay for 3 months in Japan and Malaysia without a visa. Both are worth a visit.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

@Rock

I understand it isn't relative to just that, I probably shouldn't have posted about the currency value as I have no clue what the "core" conversion rate would be when it comes to living cost.

The girl I was speaking to on skype said in ho chi minh city, that I'd be well off because of the conversion rate, saying a expensive decent meal would cost 2$ U.S

Not factual, just what I've heard
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Boxman wrote:A broken marriage, an unhappy job, the death of my mother and a series of failed relationships since my divorce have brought me to this. I'm leaving this place (the United States) to start over abroad. There's nothing for me here anymore. My only hope is to start over, in a completely different place so that I can build a completely new life.

One thing to consider is what you would be trying to do at 45. Young guys hear $200k and it sounds infinite. But are you trying to keep that nest egg and live off of it in addition to your rental income of $1500. Or do you want to invest it, a risk which can lead to your nest egg going the way of Albert Brooks' in Lost in America. BTW in places like the Philippines you can live nicely off of that $1500 + even a small % of that 200k. But this depends on what your notion of living nicely is. Guys expat abroad and then want American lifestyles and find that it costs. Other guys integrate into their new life and find they can live pretty cheaply.