How do they afford it?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
theprimebait
Junior Poster

How do they afford it?

Post by theprimebait »

I read alot on Rooshv's forums,and see how guys can afford to travel alot of places.How do they even do that?Do they have high paying jobs?

The average income in the US is around 30,000 dollars a year.same for most of europe.I reckon a 2 week vacation cost between 1000-3000 in most places,let alone staying somewhere for months.

Saving about 6000 bucks a yr is alot of saving.

Uuuhm,so do they basically live like hermits for a year and then stop working for a few months to go on an adventure?Seriousely?How do you guys on HA do it?do you have highpaying jobs or trust funds?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

??????
Freshman Poster

Post by ?????? »

I can't speak for everyone, but a few of them work for the Oil Industry in Canada doing a trade. Many will work for 2 weeks straight and have 1 week off or whatever schedule they have. The oil industry pays well, that is why I am going to a community college to be a diesel technician. Alot of the other people are from Europe and their travel costs to Russia or other European countries isn't as high as traveling from the US to these places in Europe. Just a few factors I noticed. Others might own rental properties. I don't know how everyone else there comes up with the money.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Rooshv definitely seems like a better-heeled crowd than here, where most posters don't have the financial wherewithal. Several of them on that forum who travel a lot don't make it known how they make their money. But in addition to the oil patch guys -- usually summers on winters off -- here is how a few of them finance it.

One is a litigator, whose court schedule apparently allows him long periods off. One is some kind of software consultant who can work from anywhere. One is a free-lance writer, whose job isn't location-dependent. At least one has worked in the finance sector in Moscow, and probably put away a decent chunk of money.

But for many, it isn't clear.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

It's important to make the right decisions. Not to live like a hermit, but avoiding dumb spending habits, like having the latest video-game, gadget, or cable-package etc.

I also see some younger and older guys that screwed up by buying a house at the 2006 peak, due to a lack of understanding or not doing proper homework. Now they're stuck with an upside down mortgage, fearing the day they might get fired. Really bad stuff.

If you manage to make 40K or above you'll be Ok; there's a point where you really notice the surplus, no need to be a millionaire, as long as the basics are covered... unless you fall for white-knighting of course.

At the same time, the guys that make "just" $10 bucks an hour are getting the worst of both worlds. Why not just move to phylis right out, and even if you don't make squat either, at least you get the good sides...
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How do they afford it?

Post by momopi »

theprimebait wrote:I read alot on Rooshv's forums,and see how guys can afford to travel alot of places.How do they even do that?Do they have high paying jobs?
The average income in the US is around 30,000 dollars a year.same for most of Europe.I reckon a 2 week vacation cost between 1000-3000 in most places,let alone staying somewhere for months.
Uuuhm,so do they basically live like hermits for a year and then stop working for a few months to go on an adventure?Seriousely?How do you guys on HA do it?do you have highpaying jobs or trust funds?
Income distribution is a curve. The % of working population that actually earns the median income is only one part of the graph, the vast majority are either above or under it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_i ... ted_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_ ... ted_States

If I'm reading the chart correctly, approx. 25% of American households earn $90,000 or more per year.
tre
Junior Poster

Re: How do they afford it?

Post by tre »

theprimebait wrote:I read alot on Rooshv's forums,and see how guys can afford to travel alot of places.How do they even do that?Do they have high paying jobs?

The average income in the US is around 30,000 dollars a year.same for most of europe.I reckon a 2 week vacation cost between 1000-3000 in most places,let alone staying somewhere for months.

If you are only making $30K/year you need to live in an inexpensive place, drive an inexpensive car, never go out to eat, never go out to drink, etc... If you can live on $1600/month that will leave you about $2500-$3000/year for traveling (after taxes are taken out). I did my traveling when I was making $50K-$60K/year though. It was easy to take 2 vacations per year as I had a Union Bartending job in Las Vegas (4 weeks paid vacation per year). I gave that up to start my own business in Singapore (bad move) and I really regret it now as that business failed.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I start my new job tomorrow and working on the outskirts of London brings in some decent cash, even in a small IT business. Every month worked here = enough money to spend 3 months in Asia.

I met a Roosh guy in Bangkok, he had a pretty alpha job - they were paying for him to stay there for a week and do some kind of geek work.

But bear in mind when I'm in the UK I have a pretty frugal lifestyle. I've also met several millionaires when I was in Asia, and they all dressed in average clothes and didn't flaunt their cash.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

droid wrote: guys that make "just" $10 bucks an hour are getting the worst of both worlds. Why not just move to phylis right out, and even if you don't make squat either, at least you get the good sides...
Because if you have no more skills than to earn only 10 bucks an hour in the states, you would have difficulty making 50 cents an hour in third world places like Philippines or Thailand. Plus there are no govt benefits like food stamps etc. Trust me, "not making squat" in a 3rd world country isn't a smart plan.
momopi wrote:If I'm reading the chart correctly, approx. 25% of American households earn $90,000 or more per year.
Household incomes can be deceptively high because they are often from multiple people. But if a guy is single then his household income is the same as his individual income.

In answer to the OP question, people who can afford to travel overseas often are from a very small percentage of the population. When you are in an international airport and see thousands upon thousands of travelers, (or reading the CLAIMS of Rooshv posters!), it seems a lot, but it's really a small percentage. The overwhelming majority of people in the USA have never left the country, EVER. Even though it's the worlds richest country, it's amazing how many people barely make ends meet and are only 2 or 3 paychecks away from being destitute. There is a currently active thread here from Winston about why guys here don't get off their ass and go, and the most common answer is lack of money.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Taryn
Freshman Poster

Post by Taryn »

I seldom get a chance to travel abroad, but I do get wild hairs to get up and travel around the country. My most recent trip was in December, where I took a few days to travel on a bus and just took pictures. It was a fun adventure and met a few interesting people. It doesn't really cost much to travel if you don't mind sleeping on metal benches and cement floors.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Mr Natural wrote:it's amazing how many people barely make ends meet and are only 2 or 3 paychecks away from being destitute
+1
But that's kind of what am talking about, add to that the poor chap being completely dateless... Imagine for that guy waking up at 50 having wasted his life (I SEE those guys everyday); At least abroad he would get dates.

I found this info on the Phil. salary and costs. In today's America the $10/h guy might be driving a (beat up) car and all, but he is really not that far off from his Philippino counterpart:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... hilippines

Of course the assumption here is that the guy has no skills to get a loan and get a Bachelor's, in the first place.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

That site is nice, you can even compare country to country.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... hilippines

They should add some "dating value derating" input though lol
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Most blue collar workers will have a hard time accumulating enough money and enough vacation time.

Most white collar workers will have the same issues, but for different reasons. A high achiever in a competitive field is uncomfortable spending time away from work. "What if I took 2 months off and everything worked well in my absence? That means I am expendable." They won't have cash set aside because they are plugged into the Matrix: "I need that big house / new luxury car / Rolex / (insert shiny object here)."

That leaves people who do contract work and entrepreneurs. Contract workers can take trips in gaps between contracts or between "on" periods at work. Some energy industry workers fall into this category. They work like crazy for long periods of time, because there is nothing else to do on the offshore rig or in Nigeria, then they have a nice period of time off. It's not just oil field workers, though. IIRC ladislav used this method to fund his overseas living.

Entrepreneurs often have the flexibility to make adjustments of some type and free up some larger blocks of time. Depending upon exactly what an entrepreneur does, he may be able to arrange his business in one or both of these ways:

1. Accelerate income. Work like crazy for 6 or 7 months, take the rest of the year off. Many entrepreneurial businesses are somewhat seasonal. If it involves consumer goods, for example, then September through March could generate about 75% to 80% of a year's income.

2. Take on a partner or outsource much of the work of the business. This is feasible if the business is the retailing or wholesaling of product, or if meetings with clients can be done with Skype.

Just to pluck a number from the air, suppose you have a sole proprietership or S Corp which makes you $80,000 per year pretax. If you were able to pay $40,000 to employees / contractors to do the work which allows you to move overseas, look at where that would put you. The take home pay from that $40,000 is more than half of the take home from $80,000. You have delegated most of the headaches.

You can be a guy who makes a decent above average income of $80,000 in Chicago or you can be a guy who has damn near rock star money ($40,000 per year) in Hanoi, Chiang Mai, or Bali.

This stuff is all doable, for practically anybody who is fairly bright, analytical, and aggressive enough to make something happen. Even if you cut those numbers in half, you can easily make a good life for yourself overseas.

Of course many HA members are caught up in a negative feedback loop which would never allow them to succeed. "The system is rigged against people like me. The bankers / educational system / Illuminati / Jews / white people / American women / Rothschilds / (insert excuse here) have conspired to ensure that I will never succeed. So I will continue to be a failure, but it is not my fault." "The economy is going to collapse and mayhem will begin within 6 months so I am not going to even try."

For all of you hardcore losers, honestly I don't give a shit. Keep on losing. You have been unemployed for 24 months and you just can't find a job? f**k you. No jobs available? f**k you. There is always work available. Paint a house, mow a yard, swing a hammer.

I am only trying to speak to the newbies and the people on the edge. If you are willing to think, sacrifice, work, and act - do what needs to be done - then you can succeed. And if you can't succeed in the US, right now, then you have some serious problems. YOU have problems.

Take care of business. Don't go down that rabbithole of "The US economy is going to collapse". It will collapse. So what? That shit takes a looooooong time, and it will be rebuilt after it collapses. Fortunes will be made during and after the collapse. Live your life. Do your best.
Seduction Sebi
Freshman Poster

Post by Seduction Sebi »

The thing is that most people think it is so expensive to travel and to live abroad but actually that is not true. When I live in south east asia for 6 months I have living costs of about 700 dollars per month plus one time flight costs of about 800 dollars. I don't have a fixed apartment at home, I don't pay for a car and I don't go partying all the time. One year of traveling costs me a lot less than some other people spend a year living in one country.