Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Ocean Swimming

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Ocean Swimming

Postby Jester » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Where are there swimmable beaches without police?

I mean sandy bottom, swimmable barefoot, with not many rocks or spiny urchins or whatever. And clean water.

Why do I ask?

I got "pulled over" by a police boat this morning for swimming too far out.

First time it has happened here in Mexico. They were more polite than in the USA (of course), and thankfully there was no helicopter here. And no megaphone.

But still, I am disappointed that it happened. There are no lifeguards here, so I really thought no one cared. In fact it may have been a nosy gringo tourist who called them, but still, it kind of spoils things a bit.

Imagine you are climbing a mountain. Huffing and puffing, you stop to rest. You look around at the birds, think how good God's universe is.

Just then, a helicopter hovers abruptly overhead. Someone shouts through a megaphone. Special forces commandos descend effortlessly from ropes. They want to give you a ride down.

"You might get hurt", they say.

"Why the f**k did you think makes mountain climbing fun, shithead. Go away and leave me alone!", you want to answer.

That's how this feels.

You swim to get away, to feel free. Then here comes the Nanny State's apparatus to "rescue" you, like "Rover" in the old TV series, The Prisoner.

(start at 2:26)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0[/youtube]
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ocean Swimming

Postby eurobrat » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Jester wrote:Where are there swimmable beaches without police?

I mean sandy bottom, swimmable barefoot, with not many rocks or spiny urchins or whatever. And clean water.

Why do I ask?

I got "pulled over" by a police boat this morning for swimming too far out.

First time it has happened here in Mexico. They were more polite than in the USA (of course), and thankfully there was no helicopter here. And no megaphone.

But still, I am disappointed that it happened. There are no lifeguards here, so I really thought no one cared. In fact it may have been a nosy gringo tourist who called them, but still, it kind of spoils things a bit.

Imagine you are climbing a mountain. Huffing and puffing, you stop to rest. You look around at the birds, think how good God's universe is.

Just then, a helicopter hovers abruptly overhead. Someone shouts through a megaphone. Special forces commandos descend effortlessly from ropes. They want to give you a ride down.

"You might get hurt", they say.

"Why the f**k did you think makes mountain climbing fun, shithead. Go away and leave me alone!", you want to answer.

That's how this feels.

You swim to get away, to feel free. Then here comes the Nanny State's apparatus to "rescue" you, like "Rover" in the old TV series, The Prisoner.

(start at 2:26)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0[/youtube]

Honestly dude, I don't think you should be swimming around in the Baja. And you should be lucky the Mexican coastguard came to talk to you and not a great white.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby Jester » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 pm

What would they have said to a great white?

:wink:
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:16 am

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby MrPeabody » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:56 am

I once saw a large seal lying on the beach while walking on a beach in Baja and told some Mexican guards about it. They said don't worry, they sometimes come onto the beach because they are escaping from sharks, and they can get back into the water by themselves.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Return to Questions and Advice