Question about entering Indonesia - laws, customs, requirements

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
thomas
Freshman Poster

Question about entering Indonesia - laws, customs, requirements

Post by thomas »

Maybe I should've introduced myself in the introduction section, but I really only have one question.

I'm Thomas and I have a girlfriend in Indonesia who I'm planning to go see in the coming months, but I read somewhere online that when I reach Indonesia I have to show the customs people at the airport that I have 1000 dollars before they'll agree to give me the visa-on-arrival that I need to enter the country. I guess it's to prove that I wont run out of money and get stuck there or something, but my girlfriend says it's not true and that all I need is a roundtrip ticket plus whatever money I need for food, bus/taxi money, and a hotel/hostel/whatever etc.

Can anybody here who has gone to Indonesia clear up for me this issue and question that I have? I don't have a whole lot of money so it's extremely important for me to find out what's true or not true about this.......

Thanks and I hope you guys enjoy your week and weekend etc.
drealm
Junior Poster

Re: I'm not sure where to post this question

Post by drealm »

I believe MrMan lives or works in Indonesia, or at least he's traveled there. He would be the best person to ask.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

thomas wrote:Maybe I should've introduced myself in the introduction section, but I really only have one question.

I'm Thomas and I have a girlfriend in Indonesia who I'm planning to go see in the coming months, but I read somewhere online that when I reach Indonesia I have to show the customs people at the airport that I have 1000 dollars before they'll agree to give me the visa-on-arrival that I need to enter the country. I guess it's to prove that I wont run out of money and get stuck there or something, but my girlfriend says it's not true and that all I need is a roundtrip ticket plus whatever money I need for food, bus/taxi money, and a hotel/hostel/whatever etc.

Can anybody here who has gone to Indonesia clear up for me this issue and question that I have? I don't have a whole lot of money so it's extremely important for me to find out what's true or not true about this.......

Seriously...what regs say is one thing...whatever they say. What really counts is common sense. I NEVER want to go any new destination without a couple of thousand in cash....(discreetly divided and stashed) and ready access to more via ATM. If you cannot do at least that, you are not ready to take on a financial venture that an overseas GF entails. If you want to bring her to the USA...you have to show adequate income. I would not want to be ANYWHERE out of my usual zones with only a few hundred dollars. Its plain foolish. I'm not trying to be mean....its just reality.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

OutWest wrote:
February 22nd, 2015, 10:08 pm
thomas wrote:Maybe I should've introduced myself in the introduction section, but I really only have one question.

Seriously...what regs say is one thing...whatever they say. What really counts is common sense. I NEVER want to go any new destination without a couple of thousand in cash....(discreetly divided and stashed) and ready access to more via ATM. If you cannot do at least that, you are not ready to take on a financial venture that an overseas GF entails. If you want to bring her to the USA...you have to show adequate income. I would not want to be ANYWHERE out of my usual zones with only a few hundred dollars. Its plain foolish. I'm not trying to be mean....its just reality.
I disagree. You don't need to carry more than 200 USD on you. If you need more, you can use your ATM card to withdraw cash. I've seen lots of guys with hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash in their pocket, lose it all to scammers, thieves or pick pockets. It's kind of like murphys law. Somehow people know if you have a lot of cash, and the universe teaches you a lesson by making you lose it all. Lots of pocket cash seems to draw in bad people and bad forces. Perhaps the cash you have creates a certain vibe that even criminals with psychic abilities can sense. lol

Also there are many cheap shoestring ways to travel. You don't need thousands of dollars. That's a myth and false belief.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne