Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

-----

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Hypothetical Last Ditch Plan

Postby Jester » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:15 pm

Teal Lantern wrote:
My poor man's bucket list was more along the lines of get an RV and hit the road (if sight-seeing is your thing, or you hate to sit still).
The house is also the transport. No "landlord" or whatever and the large truck stops all down the interstate provide almost anything you don't want to haul with you.

Nice.

Someone should make an RV that can burn gasoline OR alcohol, like those cars in Brazil.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Cornfed wrote:
Teal Lantern wrote:Unless SHTF involves a solar flare, nuclear war, or a comet, it's usually a local or regional event.

Up until now it usually has been. However, the world has never had a global economy with this level of interconnectedness and fragility before.

True. Maybe as an exercise at least, we should think of the whole world as one big Roman Empire, due for collapse.

Still, it was better to be in the hills of southern France, than in Rome. I think.
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:01 am

Cornfed wrote:
Ghost wrote:But I'm not trying to prepare for a post-apocalyptic world, I'm trying to have my fun shortly before it hits and then GTFO of this world.

What exactly would you want to spend your time doing? Obviously stretching $20k out for any length of time is going to limit your options. You could try housesitting or whatever to make it go further.

Housesitting gave me an idea.

I have heard of an English-speaking traveler showing up in Costa Rica or Nicaragua, making friends, and getting a cash job managing a hostel. Pay nothing for your room, make enough for food, get easy sex with backpacker girls, dip into the 20k stash only for special stuff. Stay forever.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:06 am

Teal Lantern wrote:

Unless you plan to go out Chris Farley style, with Heidi The Ho taking a pic of you as you lay dying, 20K will buy a lot of fun and last you quite a while. \

Read the article. I wonder if the whore took the drugs on her way out.

EDIT: Or maybe the cops did?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:14 am

Jester wrote:Housesitting gave me an idea.

I have heard of an English-speaking traveler showing up in Costa Rica or Nicaragua, making friends, and getting a cash job managing a hostel. Pay nothing for your room, make enough for food, get easy sex with backpacker girls, dip into the 20k stash only for special stuff. Stay forever.

Not a bad idea. Some guy I knew in Phnom Penh got a similar gig somehow (though he would have subsequently lost it following the demolition of the Lakefront area or before). The thing is that it is hit or miss as to whether you will be offered such an opportunity. Perhaps the idea would be to try and ingratiate yourself on various expat forums, skype with various members, subtly hint about what you want and wait for such an opportunity to arise.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:22 am

Cornfed wrote:
Jester wrote:
Housesitting gave me an idea.

Not a bad idea. Some guy I knew in Phnom Penh got a similar gig somehow (though he would have subsequently lost it following the demolition of the Lakefront area or before). The thing is that it is hit or miss as to whether you will be offered such an opportunity. Perhaps the idea would be to try and ingratiate yourself on various expat forums, skype with various members, subtly hint about what you want and wait for such an opportunity to arise.

Hey everybody, wanna skype? I'm just hoping I'll find some good gig overseas!!!!!!!!!!

jk - not
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Ghost » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jester » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 am

Por nada, amigo!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:29 pm

That manager of a hostel sounds pretty interesting. What's involved? I imagine down there, if someone trips & cracks their head open it's seen as their fault (a good thing). Then again, maybe you're liable for thefts & other tourist-directed bullshit?
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Previous

Return to Questions and Advice