How to improve my social skills?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Inter2002
Freshman Poster

How to improve my social skills?

Post by Inter2002 »

I want to see what everyone here would recommend and from experience know what a person should do in order to improve his social skills in order to date several girls?

A little bit about myself, I'm 28 years old it has been 10 years since I had graduated from high school (Class of 2005), I feel like I missed all the fun that 18-22 year old get to experience especially the college life.Due to circumstances I was not able to experience that from a 9 year time period. So since this is reality not fantasy (i.e time machine travel back to 2005), I have to try my best to to makeup those "lost years" (18-28yrs), from having a life, social life, college life, girlfriends, travel and more.

Lately I've been going through a very rough time in my life, caring for both my brother and my dad. My dad unfortunately passed away this past Tuesday after suffering 3 lung diseases, 2 of them being terminal. Now I'm trying to cope with the loss, and also waiting get medical attention, to address all of the health issues that I've had since this past August.

I regret a lot based on how I did not do things right. I want to have a 2nd chance in my life. So I've thought of going through a transformation physically and mentally, in order to get back on track where I left of years ago. It's a good thing that I look young for my age, I plan to undergo fat grafting, lose weight, change the way that I dress in order to look 18 again.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How to improve my social skills?

Post by droid »

I'm really sorry about your loss man
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I am sorry to hear about your dad passing away. My father passed away a couple of years ago.

It sounds like you are already on the road to self improvement. It may take a while but keep working at it.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Ditto on your father. I just lost my mother a few months ago so I know what you are going thru. I think a great way for any guy to build his confidence up a bit is to start chatting with girls online. Not sure if you have a thing about Asian ladies but going to a place like Cherry Blossoms and buying a quarterly membership for around $30 isn't a bad idea.

But rest assured, you'll find all types of girls on there. Some are serious about finding a mate, others are just playing around, others are there to scam. Just make sure if a girl asks you for money, just terminate the relationship and move onto the next one. Plenty of fish in that sea, that's for sure.

But Filipinas are easy to talk to. Heck most of them will do all the talking LOL. I'm sure there are other things you can do but this one is easy and not expensive.

Good luck!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Inter2002,

Sorry to hear about losing your dad.

For a lot of men, losing their father creates a period of stark change. I know for me it did.

I suspect that your dad is watching you and wants the best for you.

Regarding the missed party years, you can make them up easily. Get a 120 hour TEFL certificate, including a little live classroom experience with real TEFL students.

Then the world will be your oyster.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jester wrote:Get a 120 hour TEFL certificate, including a little live classroom experience with real TEFL students.

Then the world will be your oyster.
I have that and the world is not my oyster.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yes I would second trying dating sites, it's how I got started. I started dating incredibly late in life, mainly because I was so busy before doing man stuff.

Travel is also good - back in 2005 I took my first vacation by myself (to NY) and followed that up by trips to HK, Japan and later China (to meet ladies!).

Just give yourself time to get over your loss. Both my grandparents died within 3 months of each other and that resulted in a huge psychological blow for my uncle.

Oh well, keep us posted on developments.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.