Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Whats the dress code abroad?

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Whats the dress code abroad?

Postby skater » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:24 am

For every region, whats the way to go?

I personally dress kinda like a skater when I'm not at work, but of course I tone it down and dont look like a 15-y/o. I'll just throw on a greyish fitted tee shirt, cargo shorts, and some casual plain colored Vans. on the weekdays, I keep it business casual since I work as a CSR and you know how corporate culture is..

Anyhoo, I just asked since I wondered if I were to travel, what countries would best suit my style. And also to maybe get an idea of what to expect when traveling to different places
skater
Freshman Poster

Re: whats the dress code abroad?

Postby zboy1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion, so others may disagree with me.

In some parts-of-the-world, dressing well definitely is a requirement, so here are my observations from abroad:

Europeans definitely dress more stylish than Americans, by a mile. Europeans have great fashion sense, and you can see how fashionable everyone dresses over there, compared to the States. Now, in Latin America and Asia, I don't think it matters as much.

I haven't been to Latin America as much, so I'll comment about Asia instead.

Your style of dress may be most suited to Japan; they tend to be most individualistic and quirky when it comes to clothes and fashion sense. It's the same in Korea. The most well dressed people in Asia tend to be in rich Asian countries like Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong. ...

Now, in China, you can dress like a regular Joe Schmo and it wouldn't really matter. People dress pretty awfully here, to be honest, so I don't think it really matters, as long as you don't look like a hoodlum and wannabe 'thug' gangster. Otherwise, you should do fine.
Find teaching jobs in China at http://workabroad.today
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby pete98146 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:53 pm

Can you be more specific? Each country differs. But yes, you'll soon find that it's the Americans that are very poor dressers in comparison with the rest of the world. Reason for this? Americans already have a high image just by being Americans so there is less to prove. Other countries aren't the same. Folks wake up and they need to prove their image everyday. Part and parcel of this is usually looking and dressing well.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Postby Signet » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:52 pm

European men in Bosnia and Zagreb wore a lot of collared shirts and shorts. I didn't see many polos (I saw a few), despite them being grossly overrepresented in every clothing store I visited. Most people wore this kind of shit, or possibly cheaper versions that looked similar. Note that I was there in continuous 100+ degree weather, so I imagine slacks or jeans are perfectly acceptable at any time where it won't kill you to wear them, and that fashion standards might branch out a little. I don't know what non-summer attire looks like, or if it's even different.

Very little in the way of baggy clothing. Everybody wore clothes that weren't far from form-fitting.

A small proportion of t-shirts in places like malls and just walking around, but didn't see anyone wearing them anywhere important. Most of the t-shirts in these cases were pure logo t-shirts, like Aeropostale or Zara.
Signet
Freshman Poster

Postby MrMan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 pm

Whatever country you go to outside the US, make sure to wear suspenders, horned rimmed glasses, and a pocket protector. Wear a colorful hat with a propeller on top. Make sure to pull your underwear up, where the band is up to your belly button. Then post a picture on the forum before you leave.
MrMan
Experienced Poster

Postby Ghost » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:15 am

If it's hot I wear a t-shirt and shorts. I believe in function over form. Doesn't always look great, but I'm not going out in 100 F weather in pants and longsleeves.

When it's cooler I wear a collared shirt and khakis, which is also how I dress for work.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby traveller » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:39 am

Personally, I am the type of guy who loves to wear shorts and either a short sleeve shirt or a tank top. I can imagine few if any countries, even tropical countries, would allow guys or women to dress like that.

In Saudi Arabia, for instance, not only are shorts and short sleeves/tank tops forbidden, but people have to be totally covered from the cheeks all the way down to the ground even when it's 120 degrees outside.
traveller
Freshman Poster

Postby gsjackson » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:43 am

Sleeves run shorter on short-sleeve shirts in Europe, ties are narrower and often worn with otherwise casual garb. Clothes generally fit much tighter in Europe than in the U.S. A look that might put you under suspicion of being a poof in the U.S. is standard fare for gaming females in Europe. Much stronger sense of style over there. One key is finding shoes that are comfortable for doing a lot of walking -- and you will in Europe unless you rent a car, because the cities are walkable -- but still are pretty stylish. I buy ECCO shoes when I'm over there, and at this point have six pairs. They have lots of different styles, with some that would probably suit you, and most of their shoes are comfortable.

Note also that clothes sizes typically run much smaller over there. There was one brand of shirt where the XXL size was too tight. I'm neither big nor morbidly obese, push weights around now and then, but not super jacked. I usually wear a large in the U.S., sometimes even a medium.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster

Postby xiongmao » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:11 pm

Always dress well - chicks love it, especially a man in a suit.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:41 am

xiongmao wrote:Always dress well - chicks love it, especially a man in a suit.

Ugh. Suits are so unnatural and restrictive. And wearing what is effectively a noose around my neck? Pass. If a woman wants a guy in a suit, she can keep on looking.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Johnny1975 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:29 am

I like the idea of dressing nicely (smart casual) and standing out a little bit. But unfortunately that's the kind of thing that would get me relieved of my money.
***** Join my forum for entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs : *****

http://inspiredentrepreneur.forumotion.com/

And while you're at it...

*** Buy my motherf***ing book NOW!!!!! *** -----> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ZHTCW

DO IT!
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Postby gsjackson » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Ghost wrote:

Ugh. Suits are so unnatural and restrictive. And wearing what is effectively a noose around my neck? Pass. If a woman wants a guy in a suit, she can keep on looking.

You've never lived in a cold weather climate. That was the idea originally behind neckties -- to help you stay warm.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:00 pm

gsjackson wrote:
Ghost wrote:

You've never lived in a cold weather climate. That was the idea originally behind neckties -- to help you stay warm.

I'll just use a scarf, thanks. ;)
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby onethousandknives » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Is it OK to wear Adidas track pants in Europe? This is basically all I wear in USA now. But in Eastern Europe would I just be confused for being a local bydlo?
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Postby gsjackson » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:17 am

Bydlo?

Track pants not a look you see over there. They think Americans dress like circus clowns.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to Questions and Advice