How to go about buying land in other countries?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

How to go about buying land in other countries?

Post by Wolfeye »

Hey, everyone. Was looking to find out how to buy land in other countries. I'd like to learn about the general subject, but I'm specifically wondering about buying land when I'm an American citizen & not a citizen of any other country. I know sometimes that's not permitted, but that's part of what I'm looking to find out about. How do I go about it? Are there any snags (like scams or if paying cash sending up flags & getting you in trouble)? What about taxes? Where do I find out specifics?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 20th, 2020, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How to go about buying land in other countries?

Post by Yohan »

Wolfeye wrote: was looking to find out how to buy land in other countries.
-----
wondering about buying land when I'm an American citizen & not a citizen of any other country. I know sometimes that's not permitted, but that's part of what I'm looking to find out about.
The issue is complicated, it depends which property and which is the visa status of the foreigner, often there are restrictions about which property can be bought and which not.

-----

In Japan, only foreigners who are holding permanent resident status can buy land+house.
About condominium in Japan, foreigners with long-stay visa should ask for advice from the legal ward office with an estimate from the seller/construction company etc., before signing any contract. As far as I know there is rarely any objection.

In Thailand, even foreign tourist can buy condominium units but only if paid in full and in foreign currency. As a principle a foreigner cannot buy any land+house.

In Philippines, legal situation is similar to Thailand. Condominium only, but about land+house, there are reasonable lease options in guarded communities.

In Malaysia if holding long-stay visa - retirement, land and house can be bought by a foreigner, but only upper class housing in upper class districts, and this is not cheap. Rules and approval, case by case, are confusing.
http://www.propertyinmalaysia.com/regul ... laysia.php